Palm Pilot as Home control center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.bb-elec.com/palm/

this site has some source code for plam serial communications.

I'd imagine that it could be adapted to have someone write a palm serial plugin
    Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

PicPalm is the way to go for my project, but it is looking like a bust in terms of getting my hands on it. There is no contact information other than the email listed. No response from that.

I prodded the ISP, POWWEB, to forward my email along to the paying web customer, they won't do it.

Oh, well. I talked this over with a co-worker, and he is giving me his palm V as well, so I will have two, one for the upstairs hall, and one for the family living area. I have to complete some other home projects and then I am going to seriously look at this as my next experiement project. I'll look more deeply at all the software leads in this thread and figure somethign out. I'll post back with the progress I'm making

Boris, can you give me a lead on the ethernet to serial connectors you are getting? Where you got them and what they cost?

Paul
      Paul

Comment

Ethernet to Serial

pbibm,

For Ethernet to Serial, I just picked up a bunch of old Lantronix EPS1 print servers. There's currently a guy on eBay selling them in lots of 5 with a starting bid of $10 or Buy It Now for $19.95. As per this older thread (http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=100641), they can be used with the Lantronix COM port redirector software to do serial over Ethernet. They are only 10mbps Ethernet, but you don't need anything faster anyway, and the price of a current dedicated Ethernet to Serial unit (Lantronix MSS100) is $275, which makes these units a steal. You'll have to make or buy RJ-45 to DB-9 cables, but its still worth it. Even though these units have been around for more than 10 years, there is firmware and utilities on the Lantronix site updated within the past 18 months here http://www.lantronix.com/support/discontinued.html. I haven't set up any actual Ethernet-Serial links yet, as I just got them yesterday and am still in the process of assigning new IP addresses to them and flashing the firmware to the latest version. So far, none of them are DOA.

Comment

Cool. Thanks. I will keep an eye on ebay for that. The cabling wont be a problem. I have a 10/100 switch, and you;re right about using 10mbs for serial.... its liking killing a fly with a nuclear explosion.

For the Lantronix COM port software, is there a charge for that? Where do I look for that at?

Starting on the other end now, charged up my PalmV, it seems to be working. Digging out older tools, reconfiguring the serial port on my PC....

Thank Boris..

Paul
          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm

For the Lantronix COM port software, is there a charge for that? Where do I look for that at?
            It can be found here: http://www.lantronix.com/device-netw...edirector.html

Another rather long thread about the configuration of EPS1 devices as serial ports can be found over at the Applied Digital board: http://www.appdigsupport.com/cgi-bin...c;f=3;t=000266. It's primarily about hooking up an Ocelot to the EPS1, but most of the discussion is relevant to any device.

Its a real shame that the PicPalm folks haven't replied... it seems so perfect for this application. Some Google research shows that a guy named Rock Thompson had something to do with this product (or at least he designed the PIC boards which were also for sale on the PicPalm site). He has a later email address of rock@tmigear.com. perhaps you should drop him a note.
            Last edited by ; March 30, 2005, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I can delve in there, I am plugged in good on teh ADI forum...

Great on the lead for PIC palm! I'm not shy.... you tee them up and I'll hit them...

Paul
              Paul

Comment

A bump for this topic...

Did you ever get hold of that guy from PicPalm? Did you buy any EPS1s?

Comment

Hi Boris
                  No, and I followed up the other contact that was here too. No answers from either. This ISP wont forward messages. I have a palm development system I bought in 99. I need to see if it can talk serial. I used it a little in 99 for a non-communication based app and archived it on a zip disk. My kids computer has the zip drive in it, and its in the shop

I havent bought the EPS1s yet, however I did go and download the software you pointed to. They had a number of other goodies. I got my palm 5 out and charged it up. My next step is to see if I can get non-palm desktop communication going with the palm via terminal program and HS script. The next step will be the palm developmetn platform.

So I am making slow progress. I will order EPS1s when it is clear I have the pieces put the puzzle together. I aslo have a nasty cable run to think through, the place where the palm should go when its all said and done.

Paul
                  Paul

Comment

I was thinking I did a Google search for picpalm and found some references on some discussion boards about the author and who he was. Did you search for that?

I think one guy was testing the order page for the author. You might be able to get in touch with him there.

http://archives.hwg.org/hwg-basics/009501c16628$8c476a20$0100007f@localhost
                    A computer's attention span is as long
                    as it's powercord.

Comment

Been in and out on this

I have been in and out on this topic because I have a few palms laying around and always wanted to see if what you have been talking about here is possable. I see it has been a wile, but any progress as of yet on this?

Comment

So on the desk before me sits a Tapwave Zodiac... A sideways wanna-be PSP or something like that, running a modified Palm firmware inside. We got a pair years ago, one decided to stay with an airport up north, and the other sits here in front of me. It seems to work fine, has an SD and SDIO slot as well as cradle.

Did anyone ever complete a link to HS with a Palm?

Comment

I don't know if anyone ever pursued this project, but I do know that the Palm will support simple serial connections that could be interfaced to Homeseer. You would have to write your own app to send and receive to the serial port.

I use a basic "terminal" program to talk to Cisco routers with my Treo phone. No need to deal with hotsync, you are just sending ASCII characters in and out the serial port. You can buy a cable for the proprietary palm interface connector to 9 pin serial. Just search on Google for "palm Athena connector" and serial cable. I think the Palm V uses the same Athena connector as the current Palms.

If you're a coder you could make this work. I think a color Palm might be a better choice than the monochrome PV, however.

Comment

Working...
                          X