Sonoff ZBDongle-E or Conbee III or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonoff ZBDongle-E or Conbee III or ?

I am looking for a Zigbee dongle that is very easy to use and well supported by HS directly. This is important to me in case my wife needs to take over. She is technical (an EE) but doesn't care tinkering/trying much with home automation. It just needs to work. Considering this, I am leaning toward the Sonoff ZBDongle E sold by HS. The Conbee is also rather popular here. The Conbee III has the advantage that supposedly it will support Zigbee and Matter both on the same stick (via a FW upgrade). I know Matter isn't currently supported by HS (and was put on ice a while back) but I think eventually it will be added. So not having a 3rd stick (Z-wave, Zigbee, Matter) would be nice (unless it makes things more complicated).

Considering that the Conbee III and the Sonoff ZBDongle E both use the same chip (EFR32MG21), is it rather likely that the Sonoff also will support both protocols (Zigbee, Matter) on the same stick with a FW upgrade?

Btw, I have a handful of Zigbee devices which I have been using with a Conbee II and the JowiHue plugin. Now that HS has the Zigbee Plus plugin I am planning to switch over and also add a lot more Zigbee devices. And I just got some Matter light bulbs...

I picked the Sonoff Dongle E for exactly the reasons you mentioned: it's the hardware sold by HST, and it's supported by HST, and it works well with the latest Zigbee Plus plugin and devices. Long ago and far away, when Matter had so much promise, I would have been more concerned about future-proofing for it. However, by the time a critical mass of Matter devices is proven in the market, it may be necessary to replace the dongle anyhow. I think that a lot of people bought the Conbee first, and are therefore loyal to it, but that's its only distinction today.

Comment

I‘m using the SLZB-06 over PoE and it‘s very stable and very easy to do FW updates over web browser.
      I‘ve also tried Sonoff E and P but the SLZB-06 seems to be much better for me.

Comment

Currently using the Sonoff ZBDongle-E, plugged into my Z-Net G3 interface and using the internal Zigbee2MQTT. I currently only have 3 devices in service, but the system has been rock solid since October of last year.

Comment

Interesting. I still have JowiHue in my house but I have a treehouse some distance from the house with some Zigbee devices and went with the SLB06 since it does POE. Never even thought to check for firmware updates for it...

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
          Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
          weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Working...
          X