Move from Conbee II to Sonoff ZBDongle-E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move from Conbee II to Sonoff ZBDongle-E

I am currently using a Conbee II and the JowieHue plugin to control/monitor zigbee devices. I just got the Sonoff ZBDongle-E and now want to move all my zigbee devices to that new dongle using HS' zigbee Plus plugin. What is the best way to do this? Is there some export/import function for the devices? Would this also prevent me from having to redo all my events that involve those zigbee devices?

Unfortunately not. Remove all devices from deconz, then pair them with Z2M.
    There's some ideas in this thread:
    https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt/discussions/16478
    But not directly from Deconz

Comment

That's a bummer. Well, I only have about a dozen zigbee devices so it not like redoing my z-wave network. I guess I have an additional weekend project.

Comment

What was the impetus for the move?
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
        Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
        weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
          What was the impetus for the move?
          The main reason was to keep things as simple as possible with the best support from HS. Up to now I used the Conbee II & JowieHue plugin. That means I had to run another software application (deCONZ) and another non-HS plugin (JowieHue). So that's another two non-HS components to run an essential core feature (Zigbee). Granted, deCONZ never had an issue and the author of the JowieHue plugin is very active and responsive. But I prefer to have one contact point rather than three (HS, Conbee/deCONZ, JowieHue), even more so when someone else needs to take over home automation duties. Also, with HS using Z2M, there is a big community adding support for new devices.

The other reason is that I am hoping(!) that with the Zonoff ZBDongle-E, which is officially promoted by HS, we will get support for Matter with the same dongle rather than having to add another dongle for a total of 3 dongles (Z-wave, Zigbee, Matter). The chipset for the ZBDongle-E should support both Zigbee and Matter simultaneously. How well that works is another question but it's the best I could find besides the Conbee III.

Comment

Matter won't require a dongle at all. The plugin itself is the "interface".

Comment

Originally posted by Demusman View Post
              Matter won't require a dongle at all. The plugin itself is the "interface".
              My understanding is the Matter will run on IP which can run on ethernet, but it will also run on Thread which is essentially Zigbee.... So if you want thread based devices, you will need an interface.
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
              Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
              weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Thread is not Zigbee. Thread uses IPv6.
                If you check the Matter UD thread, I asked if we would need a "hub" for Matter and Rich said no.

Comment

Originally posted by Demusman View Post
                  Thread is not Zigbee. Thread uses IPv6.
                  If you check the Matter UD thread, I asked if we would need a "hub" for Matter and Rich said no.
                  Your comment about IPV6 has no bearing on the point wpiman is making. IPV6 is the network layer of the OSI model, a "logical" layer, not a physical one. Thread also operates at layer 1 and 2, which requires a physical radio (just like Zigbee). You can't communicate with a thread device without going through a thread border router which would have either an Ethernet/Wi-Fi interface as well as a thread radio. If you don't already have that device in your network, you will need one.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post

Your comment about IPV6 has no bearing on the point wpiman is making. IPV6 is the network layer of the OSI model, a "logical" layer, not a physical one. Thread also operates at layer 1 and 2, which requires a physical radio (just like Zigbee). You can't communicate with a thread device without going through a thread border router which would have either an Ethernet/Wi-Fi interface as well as a thread radio. If you don't already have that device in your network, you will need one.
                    Of course it does. Thread is in no way Zigbee.
                    Thread uses 6LoWPAN. Only similarity I'm aware of is it's in the 2.4Ghz range. Other than that, Zigbee is a completely different protocol.
                    Thread doesn't 'have' to be wireless. It can be completely wired if you have no need for wireless devices. And most Thread devices will have Border Router capabilities. So chances are, if you have a Thread device, you have a Thread network. That's how it's designed to work.
                    Have a Google Home or Alexa device? You're Thread Border Router is right there.
                    Point you're missing is, the HS Matter Plugin doesn't need an interface. The plugin IS the interface.

Comment

I didn't say thread was Zigbee, I said it used a radio. To my knowledge there are no such thing as thread "wired" devices. Wireless is in the protocol name you provided, 6LoWPAN, the W is wireless. Maybe you are confusing Matter and Thread. They are NOT the same thing. There are Wi-Fi Matter devices, and Thread Matter devices. They don't speak the same layer 1 protocol. They can only communicate with a border router.

Quoting Wikipedia Thread uses 6LoWPAN, which, in turn, uses the IEEE 802.15.4 wireless protocol with mesh communication (in the 2.4 GHz spectrum), as do Zigbee and other systems.

To your comment on "Have a Google Home or Alexa device? You're Thread Border Router is right there" isn't so simple either. Only the Gen 4 echo devices are thread border routers. My Gen 1 Google Home is certainly NOT a thread border router. I believe only the Nest series devices have that capability. Only devices with a 802.15.4 capable radio are "thread". It can't be done with software only, like Matter can.

Comment

You might wanna go back and read where you first replied to my post again.

I have a Google Home Mini, not Nest, and it's Thread capable.

Comment

That's great, it has a thread radio. Not everything does. Matter is not thread. Having a Matter plugin won't automatically get you thread communications.

Edit:

After a bit of research, I'm not sure that it does. Google Home Mini model H0A doesn't appear to have a thread radio. Google says it will support Matter, but not thread.

Google devices with Matter - Android - Google Nest Help
                          How Google products use Thread - Google Nest Help

Feel free to provide evidence of the contrary.

Comment

What exactly is your point here??
                            I don't have to provide evidence to you. Everything I said in this thread is true.
                            Can you provide evidence otherwise?
                            Again, what's your point here??

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post

The other reason is that I am hoping(!) that with the Zonoff ZBDongle-E, which is officially promoted by HS, we will get support for Matter with the same dongle rather than having to add another dongle for a total of 3 dongles (Z-wave, Zigbee, Matter). The chipset for the ZBDongle-E should support both Zigbee and Matter simultaneously. How well that works is another question but it's the best I could find besides the Conbee III.

Your understanding is incorrect. The new Zigbee chipsets can in fact support Matter, but it's an either/or deal. The dongle can be flashed with either a Zigbee or Matter firmware, but not both at the same time. The deconz folks already have a Matter firmware for the ConBeeIII.

Comment

Working...
                              X