Sold house and downsizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sold house and downsizing

I sold my house and the HS4 system along with it. In the process, I'm simplifying things for the future owner and I am inclined for example to consolidate the PhilipsHue, bub, Smartthings hub, Raspbee/JowiHue and Zigbee+ all into Zigbee+.

I originally had the PhilipsHue bridge for easier control of the hue color lights, but now all those customizations are part of events with a WD-200 dimmer. I've also moved some things off the Raspbee because I was tired of fighting with Aqara sensors. I've switched over to 3R for door sensors and they work great but they're not tiny. I did move a couple of Aqara door sensors to the Sonoff-E and they haven't lost connection unlike with the Raspbee. But I digress.

Can I include the hue bulbs on the E dongle AND the Philips Hue at the same time? That's a no-no with z-wave, but zigbee? My goal is to remove the Hue Bridge and the Smartthings hub from HS and take them with me. I want to leave the new owner with two-z-nets and an E dongle to keep this a little easier to manage.

​I'm open to suggestions.​

Curious as to the tech level of the buyer. I always wonder about smart home sales being a real estate broker. My guess is the typical smart home buyer does not have the ability to maintain any of the systems we know/use and will require some training and future support.

Comment

Originally posted by shennecke View Post
      Curious as to the tech level of the buyer. I always wonder about smart home sales being a real estate broker. My guess is the typical smart home buyer does not have the ability to maintain any of the systems we know/use and will require some training and future support.
      I've pondered that myself, although I don't have plans to sell until my next home will be assisted living or the crematorium 🙄

If I want to add value to the home and write as user-friendly a "manual" as possible, it likely still wouldn't be enough to deal with the endless updates/bugs/fixes. On the other hand, I could just abandon the smart home functions, not leave the controller(s), and not offer any help. All of the Z-Wave wall dimmers/switches would still work as if they had no Z-Wave circuitry inside. Perhaps a third option would be to leave the equipment "as is" with some modest write-up and specify that the new owner can use it if they wish, without support. Just thinking out loud here.

Comment

Originally posted by shennecke View Post
        I don't believe the buyer is tech savvy at all. The buyer's biggest interest (WOW) was in the automatic things they don't have to deal with or the conveniences that just happen. Hot water when needed with a small pump, a motion sensor and temp sensor. Auto bright/dim of outside lights. Alerts to phone via HSBuddy of doors open, water leaks, rising flood waters (I'm at the head of a canal and tides are getting higher), etc.

I'm removing the parts that might need more input and maintenance and I'm removing the parts that I created just because I could, It's amazing how much of HS4 is totally unnecessary, so much of it is the interest, hobby, curiosity of the user. That's why I just want one PC with its adapters as opposed to separate hubs What will be left is a system that should need no input. Other than changing some sensor batteries every couple of years the system should operate without issues.

Comment

SteveW There are two z-wave devices in inaccessible places to control outside lights (my poor plan a few years ago). I'm working on making sure associations work so that even if HS is down, the lights will still be controllable by using the z-wave switch they're associated with. Other than that it's pretty much HS4 and simple events. I'll be removing various plug-ins that provided fluff. Googlecast and google home control, Jowihue and Philips Hue, since there will be just zigbee+, Honeywell since it's available on its own, solaredge also has its own app and not necessary for HA function and a few others.

If the owner asks me for more info on other stuff, I'll gladly point him in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
            SteveW There are two z-wave devices in inaccessible places to control outside lights (my poor plan a few years ago). I'm working on making sure associations work so that even if HS is down, the lights will still be controllable by using the z-wave switch they're associated with. Other than that it's pretty much HS4 and simple events. I'll be removing various plug-ins that provided fluff. Googlecast and google home control, Jowihue and Philips Hue, since there will be just zigbee+, Honeywell since it's available on its own, solaredge also has its own app and not necessary for HA function and a few others.

If the owner asks me for more info on other stuff, I'll gladly point him in the right direction.
            I like that compromise of simplifying the system, to minimize potential problems. Good job!

Comment

Curious if you have automation or mention of automation in the sales contract?

Personally I would remove it all if not mentioned in the sales contract.

That is me and that is what I did with my last house sale.

Initially did think / assume that the automation and structured wiring would be a selling point. It wasn't.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete There is no mention in the contract about the automation or for that matter, the owned PV system. They're just part of the house. The owner liked some of the automated functions and that was that.

I am going to have the new owners come over so I can show them various things about the house that are "special" to this house. The pumps in the crawl space (that haven't been needed, yet.) along with the z-wave water sensors, other automatic features, how to get the generator going, etc.

Comment

I think you are opening a whole can of worms for yourself.
                  You will be the tech support whether you like it or not.
                  Remove what you want, and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by looney2ns View Post
                    I think you are opening a whole can of worms for yourself.
                    You will be the tech support whether you like it or not.
                    Remove what you want, and move on.
                    That was exactly my thought. We have only sold one apartment and we never met the person who purchased it. All was done through the real estate agent. In any case, I probably would also have left everything there unless I needed certain parts for my new home. Then it's up to them what they want to do/maintain.

Regarding the original point of this thread, I am in the process of trying to simplify things. My wife just "complained" why I am opening a wall and going down in the crawl space to pull a wire for a wired cam when I could just use a wireless camera. It's because a wired cam just works once set up.

Eventually, my wife or kid has to take over and they don't quite care tinkering with such stuff. They probably only really care about the lights and blinds being automated. If the HAVC or security system breaks down on the HSTouch screens, there are still the original HAVC controls and DSC panels. It's not a unified one-panel-does-it-all system but it still works. And if they want more, I have a 300+ page document for our home automation system with step-by-step instructions, troubleshooting guides, etc. So again, I try to keep things simple by just using z-wave and now zigbee as it can be done directly via HS (rather than a plugin). I have some WiFi devices but only for stuff that I don't mind breaking down. And I probably will replace them with Zigbee sooner than later. So it's z-wave and zigbee. I also try to limit the number of plugins I depend on. Thought I just got another one for our lawn mower but the lawn mower will still work even if that plugin breaks.

Comment

Charge em like $50-100 an hour...
                      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                      Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                      weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Working...
                      X