Amazon Echo Hub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Echo Hub?

So I have been seeing a short while the Amazon now has a smart hub with various integration support. Curious if anyone has tried this out yet?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BCR7M9KX...clk_B0BCR7M9KX

My expectations are to be able to use it with HS just as the app (amazon app) allows now, but with better use cases supported. Not sure if that is even possible or not.

Just to be clear, I want to integrate this with HS as HS currently is with Alexa through the app. But I am not looking to switch or move away from HS. Been here since the beginning and don't plan on switching.
    -Skybolt

Best thing about this is that it is POE so not depending on WiFi like most other Echo products. There are ways to use the Silk browser to allow integration with other platforms.

Comment

upstatemike Right, but I am wondering about the integration of the app itself. Meaning in the current Alexa app you can turn things on/off and create groups that Alexa controls with voice. I am wondering if any of that is supported since they now have a "Smart Hub". Would be nice as a controller much like HSTouch but much simpler and in a nice wrapper (case) as well.
      -Skybolt

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
        Best thing about this is that it is POE so not depending on WiFi like most other Echo products. There are ways to use the Silk browser to allow integration with other platforms.
        It is not POE... taken straight from the link posted above:

Echo Hub does not have an ethernet port and a compatible USB-C to Power-Over-Ethernet adapter is required for PoE installation. Adapter must support both 5V/2.4A and 9V/3A ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by skybolt View Post
          upstatemike Right, but I am wondering about the integration of the app itself. Meaning in the current Alexa app you can turn things on/off and create groups that Alexa controls with voice. I am wondering if any of that is supported since they now have a "Smart Hub". Would be nice as a controller much like HSTouch but much simpler and in a nice wrapper (case) as well.
          Just use any tablet (Fire's included) with a web browser and Jon00's HSTile for full tablet control of Homeseer.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

It is not POE... taken straight from the link posted above:
            An adapter is the way a firestick is connected to wired Ethernet. Are you saying the adapter for this will provide POE power but not provide the wired Ethernet?

This is the adapter they recommend and it passes both data and power to the USBC port:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BFVDD4WC...WC_productInfo

Comment

Ahhh... after looking at the adapter they are referencing, it's not a traditional POE adapter that breaks out the Ethernet and the power separately. It is delivering both power and the data over the USB-C jack. So in fact there is nothing special about the Echo Hub itself having this capability, it's the POE adapter doing the magic. This adapter will also work with other tablets to make them into POE devices.

Thanks for making me take another look at it

Comment

This is interesting:

"The camera snapshot function currently works only with Ring cameras covered by a Ring subscription. You can still view live feeds from compatible cameras by tapping the device tile or by asking Alexa.

Ring Alarm and all Ring Alarm accessories require a subscription for in-app features and digital notifications, including digital arming / disarming and integration with other Ring, Echo, Alexa, and third party products. Subscription sold separately. View here for pricing and details."

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture1.png
Views:	93
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	1661352
                Everything is going toward a subscription model. Amazon is rumored to be losing money on the Echo ecosystem and may drop it or create a subscription model.
                ‚Äč
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Ring has always been a subscription model for the features most people want, hence why Amazon bought them years ago.

I've never liked having to depend on Alexa or Google for voice recognition because of privacy and reliability (Internet) issues, but they were the only game in town in terms of the hardware needed (far-field microphone arrays). That's all changing with the work Nabu Casa (Home Assistant) is doing with local speech processing on ESPHome devices.

Comment

TC1 using a tablet is what I am already doing. I was once 10' deep into HSTouch and then JonOO's plugin. Just not a fan of web browsers. Was thinking this was something new and might be a cool thing to mess around with. Was thinking of the dam sub being required.

I was going to look into using ring as an alarm system of sorts. But not into sub'ing to use it.

-Skybolt

Comment

skybolt I've got an unused brand new Ring doorbell camera sitting in the box... after I discovered all their privacy and law enforcement issues, besides being dependent on their cloud for advanced camera functions, I basically said to myself no-go. The product/service may be fine for non-tech folks who just want something plug n play, but for those of us that know better they're a non-starter. I'm sticking with products/services that give the customer the choice to keep the data/image storage local, then let me worry about how to access it.

Comment

TC1 pretty much the same thing here. I have Foscam PTZ's around the outside of the house and wish HSwould keep them listed, but they always disappear after their added. So I was hoping to be able to use this hub for that as well. Guess it was just wishful thinking.

-Skybolt

Comment

Working...
                        X