system instability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

system instability

I have had a z wave network issue going on now for sometime. (this was the beginning...https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...lude-new-items)

We added on to our house recently and I decided to use homeseer dimmers for every switch in the new part. Our existing system had probably around 20 nodes total. It was very stable. What I mean by stable is this...every time an event fired, every action would complete successfully. It was also quick and responsive. Now that the addition is complete, we have 96 nodes. Nearly all of them are homeseer dimmers. The system is primarily used for lighting. Things like when the sun goes down turn on lights, or double clicking a dimmer in a room will turn on all the lights in that room. Simple stuff. I do have a aeotec sensor on a refrigerator in case the kids don't close the door, and a humidity sensor to automatically turn on a vent fan.

What has happened since the addition is the system has become completely unstable. This is in two different ways...the first is it is almost impossible to add a new (HOMESEER brand) node. The inclusion process fails nearly every time. Matt at tech support told me in was due to the device being too far away, and I understand that, but It will also fail when the device is brought very close (within 10 ft). I can go to the extreme end of the network (~100ft from radio) and include any other brand device with almost no issue. I have excellent node coverage as well in the home's footprint.

The second way that it is unstable is during event firing. Whether fired manually or automatically by time, events constantly fail. It says failed to contact node. Matt has had me add delays so that it looks like this...5 actions fire, then wait 5 seconds, then 5 more actions. The delays have made no difference.

I have tried restarting the interface, plugin, homeseer, the server (windows PC)...I have purchased a new radio (smart stick+). Nothing I have done has made any difference.

Matt, keeps saying that the logs are too busy, but can't seem to point me to what he means by that. I have attached a random log screenshot. If it is too busy, what about it is the busy part? I come from Crestron. I never had any issue, ever. I understand homeseer is a different product, but is this behavior something you guys experience? Is it always a "work in progress"? Z-wave seems so ambiguous to me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	189
Size:	529.1 KB
ID:	1661939

This could be due to over reporting or polling. You should make sure polling is disabled on every device other than when absolutely necessary (Z-Wave plus devices do not need to be polled). In your log your Master Bath sensor luminance is reporting multiple times per minute and temperature is very frequent. If you have other sensors reporting that frequently it can impact Z-Wave performance. Usually once every 1-5 minutes is sufficient. My Z-Wave has 180 devices and is quite reliable. Last year I added a bunch of Zooz energy reporting switch modules. They were reporting multiple times per second and when they were included, polling was enabled on a lot of them. This caused huge delays and frequent errors. Once I settled the reporting down and disabled polling, my system was snappy again. I also found that about 60 devices per interface was a good target. In my system 80 or more on an interface really slowed it down. I have mine spread among several interfaces which also cuts down the hops for what were distant devices from my primary interface. My system reports an occasional Z-Wave error, but I’ve seen no Z-Wave failures.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Out of curiosity, did you add new wx300r2 dimmers when this started? I ask as the same thing happened to me and others. The wx300r2 dimmers need a firmware update, and that isn’t a perfect process. I highly recommend you search for the wx300r2 firmware update thread as it details how to use silicon labs pc controller or zflash to perform the update easily. It’s a pain directly through hs and I do not recommend that at all.

Comment

It is very slow through HS but it always works here. Z flash and the pc controller do require that HS is shut down, eliminating all other traffic, making it faster.

Comment

One thought on polling. There was a setting in HS3 that stopped all polling. In HS4 there is no longer this setting, but it is still honored in settings.ini.

gEnablePolling=false

When added to settings (while HS is down) this will stop all polling of Z-Wave devices. A good tool for troubleshooting lags or delays. Devices will still report, but HS will not poll them. To return to polling set it to true or remove the line.

Comment

Ok, I cut out entirely the luminance sensor, and am only having it report things I actually use every 1 min. This has made no difference.

I have added WX 300R2's and I did update the firmware on them.

I will try to disable polling and see where we get. I attached a SS on what I see very often. I manually activated an event to close 3 shades. Then I get this error as if activated the event multiple times, which I did not. Is this just homeseer "trying again", or is this not normal. I see it all the time, even when an event is successful.

Last night I had no control whatsoever to any device on the system. It took multiple restarts of the plugin, homeseer, and the server to get it working again. So far this morning it has been very stable. It seems almost as if the more time goes on the less stable it gets until I restart everything.

Views:	102
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	1665229

Comment

I also see this senario often. In this SS I have the event fire when "The sensor's humidity was set and has a value that is greater than 64%"

As you see the event fires even though the sensor has not reported anything. It is in fact at that moment over 64% and the event had already ran correctly, but why does it keep firing when the sensors reported value has not changed.

Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	1665233

Comment

"was set" and "changed" are different triggers. Either try changing the trigger or add a condition to run the event if the vent switch is off. Posting the event may help others diagnose.

Comment

Originally posted by victorb17 View Post
                  I also see this senario often. In this SS I have the event fire when "The sensor's humidity was set and has a value that is greater than 64%"

As you see the event fires even though the sensor has not reported anything. It is in fact at that moment over 64% and the event had already ran correctly, but why does it keep firing when the sensors reported value has not changed.

Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	1665233
                  It appears the sensor is reporting about once per minute. Since your trigger is "set" and not "changed", the event will fire every time the sensor reports while in the specified value range.
                  -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post

It appears the sensor is reporting about once per minute. Since your trigger is "set" and not "changed", the event will fire every time the sensor reports while in the specified value range.
                    I can see that the sensor did not report then though. Both in the log, and if I go look a the sensor on the device page. It reported about 10 minutes before that event fired like that.

Here is the event...

Views:	96
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1665238

Comment

Originally posted by victorb17 View Post

I can see that the sensor did not report then though. Both in the log, and if I go look a the sensor on the device page. It reported about 10 minutes before that event fired like that.

Here is the event...

Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1665238
                      This still may not explain it, but if you have the "last change" option ticked you won't see that it's been set if the value doesn't change.

Name:	Screenshot_20240403_083342_Chrome.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1665244
                      -Wade

Comment

Just a suggestion - add a check to see if the lights are OFF before sending an ON. You dont really want to send an ON if you dont have to:

When the humidity was set and is > 64%
                        AND IF
                        Master Bath Vent Fan is OFF
                        AND IF
                        Master Bath Water Closet Vent fan is OFF

THEN
                        turn them on...
                        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post

This still may not explain it, but if you have the "last change" option ticked you won't see that it's been set if the value doesn't change.

Name:	Screenshot_20240403_083342_Chrome.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1665244
                          Ok I unchecked that.

I also added the check to see if the fan was already on. My other events had those checks already

I will monitor to see if anything changes with the performance of the network.

Comment

Ok, so a day or two of watching the events fire, and there seems to be no difference. Things are slow to respond on occasion (as in a 5-10 second delay), but sometimes respond in less than 1 second. I still get errors and multiple nodes not responding. It is random nodes, and not only the same nodes.

Views:	75
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1665637

Comment

I had frequent z-wave failures on a few devices recently--on very specific commands: 1) setting of LEDs on several HS switches simultaneously--though oddly only one of several event actions of this type failed--2) scheduled on/off of a porch light switch, and 3) status reporting from a ZEN16 multi-relay. Can't say with certainty, but appears all was fixed by removing fixing a couple devices on the same z-wave network that weren't communicating for known reasons (holiday light controls and mains power was off). Repowering one and removing the other from the z-wave network seemed to make the comms errors stop. Might be worth checking that all your included z-wave devices are powered and reachable by the controller.
                              -Wade

Comment

Working...
                              X