Yale Deadbolt ZWave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yale Deadbolt ZWave

I am an integrator that installs access control systems, typically we install electric latches wired directly to the controller. I have a prospective client that took occupancy in an old home on the historical register so we are limited with the amount of cutting and visible cable/wire mold we are allowed to install.

The building has an installed Yale deadbolt with zwave, I am looking for zwave hardware that will accept a contact closure, when the access control system sends the signal (Switch from NO to NC) to open the door, the zwave will send the request to unlock the deadbolt, when the access control system timer expires the contact close will switch from NC to NO, the zwave will then tell the Yale lock to re-lock.

Thanks in advance for any direction.

It's not clear whether you're aware you'll need z-wave interface hardware and controller software in addition to z-wave device to receive and relay the contact closure. Then the controller software will need to be configured to relay the triggers. Perhaps the interface and controller already exist at the property since the lock is there? If so, there are a number of devices that will report a contact closure to the controller--some battery powered and some not. E.g., Zooz makes relays that can be used as dry contact sensors. The Aeotec door/window sensor has contacts for external input.

Another consideration is locations of the z-wave interface, lock and dry contact sensor device. With only 2-3 devices, the z-wave mesh network will not be robust, so proximity will be critical.
    -Wade

Comment

Hi Wade, I am sorry that I wasnt more clear, I posted from my phone while waiting for a customer and did not take the time to collect my thoughts.

I am looking for advise, first if it can be done, second if it can be done then the recommended hardware/software that would be needed to do it. Thank you again.

Comment

The way I would do this is to use either an arduino or RPI connected to homeseer. Then I would define a pin as "unlock request". Set up a program that looks for the unlock request pin going high/low, once that happens send the command to the z-wave lock to unlock the door. This is a pretty easy integration

Comment

I have a few Raspberry Pi's laying around, i was looking at the HS4-Pi software with Z-Wave USB, would I need additional software or hardware?

I am honestly new to Z-Wave, i have always focused on more proprietary commercial systems.

Comment

Rpi, USB z-wave interface (SmartStick+ is a good choice) and HS4 should do what you need--and possibly the RaspberryIO plugin ($29). You'll also need to install the included/free z-wave HS4 plugin after HS4 is installed. I don't have any experience using IO pins on a HS4 server Rpi as inputs to HS4 but you'll likely find it's well documented here on the forums. And others may weigh in here with advice. That would be a clean option. An alternative is a separate z-wave device for the contact sensor like I mentioned in post no. 2 above.
            -Wade

Comment

Working...
            X