Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for recs on some switches/modules for fans

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Looking for recs on some switches/modules for fans

    I apologize as I know this has been beaten to death but searching is very difficult for me being somewhat new to vision loss. I need to get some switches fo bathroom ventilation fans (and hs doesnt have any to fit the bill), so just a single, decora, zwave/zigbee whatever.

    I also need to get some canopy hats/modules/whatever to handle ceiling fans and lights. I have fc200s inside but just added some fans to the back patio. These were prewired on a single circuit. I dont need the speed control, just an on/off for the fan and an on/off (possibly dim if theres an option) for the light. The fans are all on the same circuit so I need a canopy hat/module/mini relay setup. In case youre wondering why I just didnt get smart fans, well the only exterior rated aesthetically pleasing units available were dumb....just like me!

    I got lost in searching and some descriptions are pretty vague. Currently I only have zwave, but dont mind adding zigbee/shelly whatever.

    Any recommendations are appreciated.

    #2
    You might want to look at Shelly devices for your ceiling fans. There are a couple integrations options: MQTT with free mcsMQTT plugin, for example, which I use extensively and recommend, or the paid AK Shelly plugin if you want to avoid MQTT.

    For most of my bathroom fans I use GE Enbrighten z-wave fan switches and they've been reliable for several years.
    -Wade

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Wade View Post
      You might want to look at Shelly devices for your ceiling fans. There are a couple integrations options: MQTT with free mcsMQTT plugin, for example, which I use extensively and recommend, or the paid AK Shelly plugin if you want to avoid MQTT.

      For most of my bathroom fans I use GE Enbrighten z-wave fan switches and they've been reliable for several years.
      Thanks for the input. I was a little leery of Shelly as they just seemed too cheap to be of any quality. The reviews are pretty good though. I just ordered a handful of the 2pm and dimmer2 devices to try out. I figure if the dimmers don’t sync perfectly (lamps at different brightness levels across the patio) that I’ll just disable dimming or run the lights to the second channel of the 2pm. I like how the units are color coded to aid in identification. I haven’t played around with mqtt yet but I have to for another device I just ordered so I need to learn anyway. It just seems that zwave devices are falling off the face of the planet.

      Comment


        #4
        Hi Dillon,

        For bathroom type exhaust fans, I concur with Wade in terms of GE/Jasco Z-wave switches. I have several and the bonus is that certain models are also scene controllers, so you can program events to respond to double-taps up or down, besides controlling the fan via other methods like a humidity sensor in the room.

        In terms of add-on fan modules for the canopy type fans, Inovelli has a Zigbee smart module to control both the light and fan. Hard to tell from their website whether it's actually shipping yet.
        Blue Series Smart Fan/Light Canopy Module | Inovelli

        Hope this helps.​

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by TC1 View Post
          Hi Dillon,

          For bathroom type exhaust fans, I concur with Wade in terms of GE/Jasco Z-wave switches. I have several and the bonus is that certain models are also scene controllers, so you can program events to respond to double-taps up or down, besides controlling the fan via other methods like a humidity sensor in the room.

          In terms of add-on fan modules for the canopy type fans, Inovelli has a Zigbee smart module to control both the light and fan. Hard to tell from their website whether it's actually shipping yet.
          Blue Series Smart Fan/Light Canopy Module | Inovelli

          Hope this helps.​
          That would fit the bill perfectly but like you said, I can’t find it for purchase either. I’ll keep my eye out though. I forgot to mention in the previous response that I did order a few of the ultra (they say they took over ge/honeywell/jasco but I dunno, hard to get deep in these searches audibly) on/off switches. I’m surprised that the new hs dimmers aren’t rated for light duty motors like bathroom fans. I have wd200+ dimmers (as on/off) that have been doing just that for several years at another house as I never even though to verify if they were rated, I just assumed they were. My luck, I just jinxed it and the fire department will be rolling out.

          Comment


            #6
            Dimmers use semiconductor technology to provide proportional power to the load, they can't be used for inductive circuits like motors due to the back currents that inductors create and power-on surges.

            Companies like Homeseer and Inovelli that labeled their new dimmers as 2-in-1 dimmers and On/Off switches did a disservice to their customers because it confused many of them. Many folks think they could also use them as on/off switches for small fans, which is not safe/recommended.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Dillon View Post
              I was a little leery of Shelly as they just seemed too cheap to be of any quality.
              It's not the only factor, but not paying the z-wave royalty has a real impact on cost to the end user. I've found Shelly devices to be very reliable and durable.
              -Wade

              Comment


                #8
                TC1 Ha, yeah….i don’t need any help with being confused! Btw, I ended up subbing to myhs for the year. Hopefully we’ll see some improvement in the voice integration soon. My little haos project is love/hate. Some things are simply amazing. I have a Bambu 3d printer that was super simple to connect and there’s a lot of attributes that can easily be used without getting into yaml. That has been really cool actually, and I’ve setup several automations with it. Other things, like my specific model of roomba are impossible and make me pound my head against the wall. I’d like to link ha and hs but the options are only one-way I think. Akassistant can bring the ha stuff into hs but I’m not sure if everything works although he seems very responsive in the forum. There’s a Homeseer repository on GitHub to bring hs into ha but it’s read only (whatever that means) and hacs won’t allow me to add the custom integration. I have been trying to set it up manually but am not having fun at all.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Wade View Post

                  It's not the only factor, but not paying the z-wave royalty has a real impact on cost to the end user. I've found Shelly devices to be very reliable and durable.
                  That tax is real, and probably the reason there seems to be fewer and fewer devices available. I was amazed at the reviews of Shelly. Hard to beat their pricing! I’m sure I’ll be happy. I’ll probably give the innovelli units TC1mentioned when they’re available as well. Although, do you go with blue zig bee, or white thread/matter? Ha

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Dillon View Post

                    That tax is real, and probably the reason there seems to be fewer and fewer devices available. I was amazed at the reviews of Shelly. Hard to beat their pricing! I’m sure I’ll be happy. I’ll probably give the innovelli units TC1mentioned when they’re available as well. Although, do you go with blue zig bee, or white thread/matter? Ha
                    Zigbee is tried and true, here now, and cheaper due to multiple suppliers for Zigbee chips. It works.
                    Matter and Thread are going to have growing pain issues and a higher price. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole right now, but to each their own

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by TC1 View Post

                      Zigbee is tried and true, here now, and cheaper due to multiple suppliers for Zigbee chips. It works.
                      Matter and Thread are going to have growing pain issues and a higher price. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole right now, but to each their own
                      Ha! I was trying to be tongue in cheek about the matter version. The blue zigbee inovellis are shipping now and they "may" start another run of the red zwave version in the near future. Their pricing is great on these. Thanks again for the rec

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Dillon View Post

                        Ha! I was trying to be tongue in cheek about the matter version. The blue zigbee inovellis are shipping now and they "may" start another run of the red zwave version in the near future. Their pricing is great on these. Thanks again for the rec
                        If you buy a blue zigbee fan controller, please post your experience with it. I'm thinking of trying one but want to make sure it's a solid solution.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Will do. They arrive on Monday but I’m not sure when I’ll get the dongle as I never got shipping confirmation from Homeseer. I’m hoping they work well as the Shelly devices were buggy and not useable. I’m not blaming Shelly as they came from Amazon and I’m pretty sure they were used. Only one of the four pack worked. Three would work but then drop signal and require a reboot, multiple times a day.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Dillon View Post
                            Will do. They arrive on Monday but I’m not sure when I’ll get the dongle as I never got shipping confirmation from Homeseer. I’m hoping they work well as the Shelly devices were buggy and not useable. I’m not blaming Shelly as they came from Amazon and I’m pretty sure they were used. Only one of the four pack worked. Three would work but then drop signal and require a reboot, multiple times a day.
                            I'm also waiting on my zigbee dongle from Homeseer. Are you using the 2 in 1 zigbee innovelli switch with the fan module?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by shennecke View Post

                              I'm also waiting on my zigbee dongle from Homeseer. Are you using the 2 in 1 zigbee innovelli switch with the fan module?
                              I didn’t get the combo switch as I already had switches everywhere (these were previously just lights, I recently added the fans). I don’t think the innovelli switch is shipping yet but I could be wrong. I pretty much use voice assistants and automations for everything but will have a manual double tap to turn the fan to its last state or off. I really don’t need to change speeds as these are outdoors, but will have the option of lo/med/hi through voice assistant or web. I’ll use events as well to adjust speed for extreme heat or if the misters are on and probably bump up the volume of the music when the fans are on high and whatnot. The fans are dead silent on low and medium, but are noticeable when on high. I wish hs still sold the fc200, I have those in all rooms and they have been great. I’m one of those a wholes that has to have everything the same. One light switch that doesn’t match or feel the same (pressure, click or silent, etc) drives me more nuts than I already am.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X