No announcement yet.

Looking for recs on some switches/modules for fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shennecke fyi I’ve run into an issue with the inovelli blue canopy module. I don’t think it was ready for prime time as they say. Very confusing as I was told they work with zigbee2mqtt, they are on the zigbee2mqtt website as supported, but they will not add into my zigbee network as they show up as unsupported, I’ve been searching and it seems that the home assistant crowd got them working by running an edge driver with zigbee2mqtt. I also found one article that states they won’t be included in zigbee2mqtt until the next build on 4/1/24 (today). I don’t know how the Homeseer zigbee plus plug-in works with zigbee2mqtt, so I don’t know if it’s a he specific version, or if it updates automatically/manually, so I have no clue when they will work. If I don’t get some answers soon, I’ll just move the dongle over to my ha test system and run them to see how they work. I guess there’s a “breeze” mode which sounds interesting as it varies the speed of the fan to simulate a breeze instead of a constant speed. Just thought I’d thrown an update out

Comment

shennecke A little update. The z2m build that came out yesterday does include the blue fan module now. Another person had mentioned that although included in this build, they noted that several other z2m functions broke in this build. These are the only zigbee devices I have so that doesn’t affect me, I think you were waiting on your dongle too so you should be good too. I finally got the zigbee plus plug-in z2m updated so that I could use these controllers. The update is not automatic and needs to be performed manually. It’s pretty simple if you don’t expect to see the “installed successfully” message that the instructions on here mention. I tried over and over and over. Never getting that message and ended up corrupting things (I’m legally blind and use a screen reader so I follow directions explicitly so not getting the expected response was a curveball). It’s all good now though. I don’t recommend using a zwave switch for control though. It works fine, there is a slight lag…not as instant as pure zwave. I think I just lucked out as some have complained about other versions of the fan controller constantly losing comm behind metal fan canopy covers. Same if the switch was more than twenty feet or not line of sight to the fan. I’m not having that issue, but using a zigbee switch or at least a router, somewhat close to the fans would be better. A zigbee switch bound to the fans, I guess, allows instant control as the signal doesn’t have to go through the hub and back out. I also have those fake vintage Edison led bulbs, clear bulb with visible element. There is some bleed through on the controller so the leds stay illuminated when off. Probably not noticeable during daylight but it was at midnight. Searching the web, this is a common issue with inovelli dimmers and leds. The fix is to either get higher wattage bulbs or install a bypass resistor. Seems a bit dumb to have to do that, but it is…..what it is. I ordered bypasses for all the fans (another $15 each fan). So, if you have leds in your fans, probably just order a bypass with each controller so you don’t have to break out the ladder every five minutes. I think you’re ok with cfl or incandescent. The breeze mode function is actually kinda cool. It takes a bit to setup as you have to program five different intensity levels and durations for the cycle but the random, variable speed feels nice out on the patio.

Comment

Ok, last update I think. The inovelli blue canopy fan controllers are pretty snazzy. The only bad thing, is the dimmer and only for certain led bulbs. Searching the forums, it’s a known issue with inovelli dimmers in general. Certain leds will stay dimly lit when off (and it’s not just those neutral less wall dimmers). The “fix” is to install an aeotec bypass. Which I just recently did. Prior to installing the bypass, the led lamp dimmed perfectly smooth but remained very dimly lit when off. It was noticeable at night though. After installing the bypass the led bulb is now completely off when off. Problem solved……well, not really. Now the led bulbs emit a single bright flash when switched on. Quickly dropping to a low dim and ramping up to full brightness. Dimming is still smooth, except that brief flash at power up. If I had to choose, the bright flash is more annoying than the bulb staying lit 24/7. According to the interweb, inovelli always defends their dimmer and pushes the blame onto offending bulbs. They do have a bulbs that have been tested and work page so you can find replacements that are known to work, although there are complaints that none of the listed bulbs are the kinds available on any of the big box stores shelves. It’s just odd to me that I can use a Homeseer dimmer with one of these bulbs (nothing else on the circuit) and the bulb turns off when off. I can use the factory rf canopy fan controller (non-switched, always hot) and the remote controlled dimming works perfect and the bulb is completely off when off. Reading the amount of people with similar issues with inovelli dimmers going back several years, you would think that maybe engineering would make a change on newly released products. Not a huge deal, just annoying. Wasted $15 per fan (about $70 after tax and shipping for four) on the bypass units. I’ll be emailing inovelli about returning them after I have someone help me find new bulbs. Brand/model numbers/wattage doesn’t help with finding a specific look (large clear bulb similar to a jumbo mason jar with exposed elements for a vintage/retro look). The zigbee radios on the fans are pretty good. My dongle is pretty far away and these are the only zigbee devices I have. I’m really liking the breeze mode. I truly though it was just a gimmick but was I quite surprised. I have four fans all out of sync in breeze mode. Meaning, when they cycle through speeds the adjacent fans are running opposite (two on high, two on low or all on medium). All in all, I wouldn’t hesitate in using these fan controllers at all. Just be aware of the led issue.

Comment

Dillon, parameter # 26 should solve this problem. (hopefully)
          Blue Series Fan/Light Canopy Module • Parameters | Inovelli Help Center

IMO, both Inovelli and Homeseer make gee-whiz smart home devices, but the actual dimming quality on their dimmers both suck (I've tested both on my test bench). Both companies are just firmware jockeys who don't seem to understand the nuances in smooth dimming control for lighting. The best companies for doing this from my experience are Cooper/Eaton, Leviton, and Zooz for Z-wave devices. For non-Zwave, Lutron is very good (but it's their own RF protocol).

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
            Dillon, parameter # 26 should solve this problem. (hopefully)
            Blue Series Fan/Light Canopy Module • Parameters | Inovelli Help Center

IMO, both Inovelli and Homeseer make gee-whiz smart home devices, but the actual dimming quality on their dimmers both suck (I've tested both on my test bench). Both companies are just firmware jockeys who don't seem to understand the nuances in smooth dimming control for lighting. The best companies for doing this from my experience are Cooper/Eaton, Leviton, and Zooz for Z-wave devices. For non-Zwave, Lutron is very good (but it's their own RF protocol).
            TC1 Thanks again, seems to be on the daily lately! This worked. No more camera flash when I turn the lights on! I did not see that document you linked anywhere when searching. Thank you for forwarding that. They do have a lot of parameters so it’s nice to know what they all are. In my last home I had all simply automated upb dimmers and thought they worked flawlessly. They never had issues with low wattage leds. When I moved into this home I went with zwave and Homeseer based on glowing recommendations from some old friends. It also appeared that upb was on the way out at the time. Anyway, thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Dillon View Post

TC1 Thanks again, seems to be on the daily lately! This worked. No more camera flash when I turn the lights on! I did not see that document you linked anywhere when searching. Thank you for forwarding that. They do have a lot of parameters so it’s nice to know what they all are. In my last home I had all simply automated upb dimmers and thought they worked flawlessly. They never had issues with low wattage leds. When I moved into this home I went with zwave and Homeseer based on glowing recommendations from some old friends. It also appeared that upb was on the way out at the time. Anyway, thanks again
              The problems you have been facing are not Z-wave per se but comes down to the companies making the devices.
              And yeah, we all fell for the Homeseer "trap" at first, looks great at first glance, until you realize how dysfunctional the company is.

My advantage is that I was an electrical engineer in a former life (lol) so figuring this stuff out is second nature for me. Glad I could help.

Comment

Dillon, so inovelli fan controller a success? Any issues getting it setup in HS4? ​

Comment

Originally posted by shennecke View Post
                  Dillon, so inovelli fan controller a success? Any issues getting it setup in HS4? ​
                  Yes. They work great so far. They came out with a new firmware yesterday. The issue I had setting them up was as they had not been added to the xigber2mqtt service. They were added on the 1st of the month, day after I got them. The lamp staying lit when off was resolved with the aeotec bypass (my only gripe with the unit). There are a lot more parameters available with these units than I’m used to. You can change all kinds of stuff. The only thing I noticed with the new firmware was rgb settings for lighting, but they haven’t released the notes yet to know what exactly changed. But yes they work great. They are slightly thicker that a standard factory controller so they fit nicely and weren’t loose in the canopy. I would probably leave the trim loose until you’re sure they’re added in case you need to use the reset button. They have an option to reset them by switching power on and off like ten times in rapid succession but that’s just no fun. I did have one controller that I couldn’t change the settings on through the has devices page (so the others worked fine) but you can access all the settings in the zigbee plugin front end page and set them there if you run into that. You probably won’t though, I’m just lucky. Also, the lag I mentioned in an earlier post is gone. I had accidentally left on debugging which slowed the system down. Switched that off and it’s all good. Worth every penny.

Comment

Are you using a wall switch for local speed & light control?

Comment

Are you using a wall switch for local speed & light control?
                      Yes but probably not ideal. I already had a hs zwave dimmer there. Fans are always hot, nothing on the load side of the dimmer. Single up/down for light on/off and double tap up/down for fan on/off. Still working on the hold up/down for dim with an event to match the leds on the switch with dim level. I made up a bunch of virtual devices for each fan mode lo, med, hi, breeze and for preset dim levels to match the pergola lights for different scenes. Those are all voice enabled and I just ask Alexa to do whatever if I need more than just on or off.

Comment

Originally posted by Dillon View Post

Yes but probably not ideal. I already had a hs zwave dimmer there. Fans are always hot, nothing on the load side of the dimmer. Single up/down for light on/off and double tap up/down for fan on/off. Still working on the hold up/down for dim with an event to match the leds on the switch with dim level. I made up a bunch of virtual devices for each fan mode lo, med, hi, breeze and for preset dim levels to match the pergola lights for different scenes. Those are all voice enabled and I just ask Alexa to do whatever if I need more than just on or off.
                        Which switch are you using? What bulbs in the light?

Comment

Which switch are you using? What bulbs in the light?
                          switch is a wx300r2, im not sure on the lamp. its a feit dimmable led thats very large, like a jumbo mason jar,, clear bulb with visible element like vintage edison bulbs

Comment

Working...
                          X