Slow events - too many z-wave devices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow events - too many z-wave devices?

I have a large z-wave network of 108 devices. I'm having an issue where occasionally my events run really slowly. For example, I walk into a room, I see the motion sensor flash, then 5-7 seconds later, the lights turn on. It's not always, about 25% of the time.

I'm currently using a Nortek Husbzb-1 combo stick, though I recently moved my zigbee devices off of it to the sonoff stick to take advantage of the new zigbee plugin. My HS4 is being run on a used optiplex micro with an i5-6500 and 8 gb of ram (windows 10).

Is the computer underpowered? (I'm guessing not), or is the norteck z-wave stick struggling with how many devices I have? Or could it be something else?

I've found performance degrades with more than about 75-80 devices on a single interface (z-nets in my case). You might consider adding a second interface, although moving devices to it means exclusion, reinclusion, event rebuilding...
    -Wade

Comment

I also agree that 80 devices on a single controller is the practical limit. I have a reliably snappy system with 180 Z-Wave devices spread across several controllers. My busiest controller has 60 devices.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Do I need to use Z-nets and spread them out around my house, or can I just plug a second z-wave stick into my homeseer computer (centrally located) and setup a second network? Also, if I do that, would they interfere with each other being so close together?

Comment

Can't confirm whether you can have two USB z-wave interfaces on your HS server, but don't see why it wouldn't work since they'll be on separate com ports. As far as interference, I've read of folks using USB extension cables to move a USB interface a few feet.
          -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by DebrodeD View Post
            Do I need to use Z-nets and spread them out around my house, or can I just plug a second z-wave stick into my homeseer computer (centrally located) and setup a second network? Also, if I do that, would they interfere with each other being so close together?
            I agree with Wade that it should work. When I started adding controllers, I broke my house into zones, reducing the number of hops for distant nodes and making most of my devices having a direct connection. I have one in an outbuilding, one in the garage one centered in the house and one on the back porch. I also put one in the basement server closet. I have 5 Schlage locks with a controller within 10-12 feet for all. I get occasional Z-Wave errors, but rarely a missed command. If our system slows down it is only a second or two and only occurs for a few minutes.

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by DebrodeD View Post
              I do not recommend having Z-wave controllers close to each other for the simple fact that unlike other wireless networks like Wi-Fi and ZigBee, Z-wave does not have the capabilities for different channels. This means that all transmissions, regardless of network ID, happen on the same radio frequency. This will cause interreference which will be exhibited as excess transmission retries, which manifests as command/response slow-downs.

As Randy described, if you're going to invest in multiple controllers to break-up your Z-wave network into smaller logical separate networks, then it's also best to space those controllers out geographically where they will do the most good, and also not interfere with each other.

Comment

Working...
              X