Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z-Wave Long Range ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Z-Wave Long Range ?

    I'm very confused regarding whether/when Z-Wave LR is workable and with what controllers and devices.

    I currently have a complex system for signaling that my driveway gate is opening. The gate is not visible from the house and we live in a rural area. The gate opens automatically when a vehicle approaches. An alarm transmitter sends a signal to an alarm receiver 250' away and inside our garage. That, in turn, is wired to an Aeotec Z-Wave Plus Door/Window sensor, which has terminals for a normally-open connection to raise an event. A Homeseer event detects the change in status on that device and activates a couple of Dome Z-Wave security chimes and tells an exterior security camera, via BlueIris, to take a picture and, if no one is home, to email it. Lot of pieces daisy-chained together, but it's been working for a long time. However, the alarm transmitter/receiver combo is obsolete and now functioning intermittently. I can update it for about $250, but it would make more sense if I could just use a Z-wave device at the gate opener and have the signal handled by a Z-Wave controller feeding Homeseer. The distance is too great for current Z-Wave devices.

    So, what device is required to receive a Z-Wave LR signal? Will any of the current Z-Nets handle that? There are some early possible transmitter devices, although I'd prefer to wait for a little more maturity (experience) before jumping off the cliff. Suggestions?

    Rog

    #2
    The short answer is no current home automation platforms (the software) suppport Z-wave LR. There are hardware controllers and end-point devices that are LR capable, but unless the automation platform (Homeseer, Home Assistant, Habitat, etc) supports the feature, then the feature will not be enabled. You can buy current LR capable devices today and they will function like regular Z-wave mesh network devices, once the automation platform adds the feature in software, then the devices can be reconfigured to use LR.

    Comment


      #3
      Thank you. That is what I suspected from reading numerous other posts.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by TC1 View Post
        The short answer is no current home automation platforms (the software) suppport Z-wave LR. There are hardware controllers and end-point devices that are LR capable, but unless the automation platform (Homeseer, Home Assistant, Habitat, etc) supports the feature, then the feature will not be enabled. You can buy current LR capable devices today and they will function like regular Z-wave mesh network devices, once the automation platform adds the feature in software, then the devices can be reconfigured to use LR.
        From what I'm reading on the Z-Wave JS discussions, it looks like LR support is getting closer; it's supposedly in the 12.5 beta version (12.4.4 being the current release version). So my guess is that HST will only need a minimal amount of change to their software later to manage the LR settings in the driver.

        That said, while LR SOCs have the usual backwards compatibility, LR introduces an entirely new, star topology (no need for repeaters or mesh) for LR<-->LR hardware communication. This is mainly implemented in the SOC hardware and firmware, including a new pair of RF T/R channels and PHY protocol.

        OF course, I just want the production-level HST support for Z-Wave JS now; they can do this sort of feature addition later. Yeah, I know: "It's just a simple matter of programming"!

        Comment


          #5
          History tells us that nothing is ever simple with HST. Ever.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by TC1 View Post
            History tells us that nothing is ever simple with HST. Ever.
            I'm trying to be neutral and non-judgmental here. I'm pointing out the current status and the possibility that it can be added later to HS4.

            Comment


              #7
              Of course it can be added... when... well that's anyone's guess.

              Comment


                #8
                I tried Controller set as Z-Wave LR, devices are US region, working good and the wireless range is better than US region.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by PFL View Post
                  I tried Controller set as Z-Wave LR, devices are US region, working good and the wireless range is better than US region.
                  Yes, we all know the potential. 700 series just under a mile and 800 series just over a mile. This discussion is about when we will see it implemented in home automation systems.
                  HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Staying on topic, one has to also consider the implications of eventually changing already established devices over to LR. While both mesh and LR (star topology) networks can coexist on the same controller, an endpoint device cannot exist in both types of networks at the same time. An endpoint in the star topology can no longer route for the mesh network, which may not matter given one's physical layout of their coverage area. Also, changing a LR capable device over to the LR network on your controller more than likely means an exclusion and re-inclusion, possibly messing up device references and events (but I could be wrong about this part).

                    Comment


                      #11
                      You might want to explore Yolink. It works for much longer distances. I have a garage that is 250+ feet with lots of trees between. Z-wave would not work. Yolink works great. There is a starter kit on amazon that has a sensor and the Yolink hub for $50. The mcsMQTT plugin supports Yolink. There might be another plugin that also supports it. I'm thinking a plugin from alexbk66 also supports Yolink.

                      http://www.amazon.com/YoLink-Outdoor.../dp/B0BJK6VKLR

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
                        You might want to explore Yolink. It works for much longer distances. I have a garage that is 250+ feet with lots of trees between. Z-wave would not work. Yolink works great. There is a starter kit on amazon that has a sensor and the Yolink hub for $50. The mcsMQTT plugin supports Yolink. There might be another plugin that also supports it. I'm thinking a plugin from alexbk66 also supports Yolink.

                        http://www.amazon.com/YoLink-Outdoor.../dp/B0BJK6VKLR
                        This is LoRa, the range is good, but the ecosystem is not good as Z-Wave.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by PFL View Post

                          This is LoRa, the range is good, but the ecosystem is not good as Z-Wave.
                          Seemed to me like the OP was about needing a long range device to replace his failing device. He knew z-wave didn't have the range. That is what I was addressing. I'm have many z-wave devices so my first choice to add sensors to my garage was z-wave but it didn't have enough range. That's what led me to Yolink. I also use their temp sensors in my upright freezer and refrigerator. Great battery life and very reliable. All integrated with mcsMQTT. thanks Michael McSharry. Downside is it doesn't currently work while internet is down however there was supposedly work going on to allow local control.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Thank for the the YoLink reference. I knew that existed somewhere but no search identified it. I got my old system working again, at least for a while, perhaps long enough for LR Z-wave to get past the toddler stage.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X