At my wits end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At my wits end

Morning all, story time. I have been using HS for over 10 years now and have always had a very solid experience with it. I am a heavy Z-wave user with a smattering of other components to tie various areas of my home together (Things like Ring, Rachio sprinkler, Nest stats, a bit of Hue, and some older RF stuff).

I have been having issues with my HS setup for the last couple of months mostly stemming from a Z-Net that died and the issues following that. This all lead to me totally reinstalling HS from scratch a couple of days ago, resetting, and re-adding all of my Z-wave devices (I have about 50 devices) and standing up my events fresh. This initially seemed like it went perfectly and for a day or so everything seemed grand.

My setup is HS4 Pro 4.2.19.5 running on a Windows 10 box and connecting to my Z-Net G3 that I just replaced and reset. I have a few plugins running like: Z-Wave 4.1.3, BLOccupied 2.0.28, BLRadar 4.0.34, BLRF 2.0.96, Harmony Hub 4.0.14, HSBuddy 4.51.303, HS-WX200 Multi Status 3.23.50.4, Nest 3.0.0.35, Zigbee Plus 1.0, and Z-Wave Parameters 4.0.67.

Then it started again. I started getting errors around S2 for Z-wave and devices failing to turn on or off as they are supposed too. I see a lot of errors like "Security S2, no response from Nonce Get." in my logs anytime that I have failures, so my assumption at this point is that the S2 Security on devices that it is enabled for is not negotiating properly and that is resulting in failed routes to the other devices that are having issues. Some of these are Homeseer devices like the HS-WD200, others are not such as wall plugs.

Here are my questions:

Do I remove all of the devices that have S2 enabled and re add them in an unsecure manner (I have 9 devices that show to be using S2)?
    Is there a way to just disable S2 altogether since the variety of devices I have seem to be not playing nice?
    Has anyone else seen this and figured out how to fix it?
    Should I go through my list of devices and individually Optimize them all to maximize my route creation?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice, this has been quite frustrating lately!
    Last edited by chewie; March 27, 2024, 09:50 AM. Reason: Added system config information

Originally posted by chewie View Post
    Morning all, story time. I have been using HS for over 10 years now and have always had a very solid experience with it. I am a heavy Z-wave user with a smattering of other components to tie various areas of my home together (Things like Ring, Rachio sprinkler, Nest stats, a bit of Hue, and some older RF stuff).

I have been having issues with my HS setup for the last couple of months mostly stemming from a Z-Net that died and the issues following that. This all lead to me totally reinstalling HS from scratch a couple of days ago, resetting, and re-adding all of my Z-wave devices (I have about 50 devices) and standing up my events fresh. This initially seemed like it went perfectly and for a day or so everything seemed grand.

My setup is HS4 Pro 4.2.19.5 running on a Windows 10 box and connecting to my Z-Net G3 that I just replaced and reset. I have a few plugins running like: Z-Wave 4.1.3, BLOccupied 2.0.28, BLRadar 4.0.34, BLRF 2.0.96, Harmony Hub 4.0.14, HSBuddy 4.51.303, HS-WX200 Multi Status 3.23.50.4, Nest 3.0.0.35, Zigbee Plus 1.0, and Z-Wave Parameters 4.0.67.

Then it started again. I started getting errors around S2 for Z-wave and devices failing to turn on or off as they are supposed too. I see a lot of errors like "Security S2, no response from Nonce Get." in my logs anytime that I have failures, so my assumption at this point is that the S2 Security on devices that it is enabled for is not negotiating properly and that is resulting in failed routes to the other devices that are having issues. Some of these are Homeseer devices like the HS-WD200, others are not such as wall plugs.

Here are my questions:

Do I remove all of the devices that have S2 enabled and re add them in an unsecure manner (I have 9 devices that show to be using S2)?
    Is there a way to just disable S2 altogether since the variety of devices I have seem to be not playing nice?
    Has anyone else seen this and figured out how to fix it?
    Should I go through my list of devices and individually Optimize them all to maximize my route creation?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice, this has been quite frustrating lately!
    Not sure how much this will help, but did you happen to do a full optimize of your Zwave network? The reason I ask is because the current guidance is to avoid doing this, especially if you are running Zwave pro devices. I have been at this a long time like you and had always used that full optimize to correct issues, but found out recently that I should not do that. The guidance now is that for pro devices you just add them and let them use the routes they established at time of adding. Then for older non-pro devices you individually optimize those one at a time. My thinking is you're having communication issues on those devices. Not sure if this helps, but wanted to share as I went through some similar issues when my Znet died. Also do a Node Audit from the Zwave tab on each device and see what it says about the rating and neighbors. Lastly you might look at doing firmware updates on those
    Individual devices. The ZooZ devices I use had many improvements after I updated and the version of FW they came with were over a year old, much of it to do with S2 improvements and fixes. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had to go through the process of rebuilding the whole system (excluding devices with a mini mote, adding them back, recreating events) not too long ago. Also mostly z-wave devices but some others. So I feel for you... While I don't have an answer to your questions, before you start excluding and re-adding devices, make sure you make a copy of your HS4 folder and backup your z-net. That way you can try out different things and if they don't work you can go back to where you currently are. I am doing this before any bigger changes/addition of devices/etc. You might also want to contact HS support to see what their input is.

Comment

I would highly recommend waiting for the upcoming new Z-Wave plugin as it may solve this issue for you. Best case scenario it solves your issue(s), worst case you are now.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

S2 security seems to cause this issue. It sometimes prevents the inclusion. According to Tech, adding devices "secured" is overkill. It slows the system and most of us don't have neighbors to be worried about. I have added all devices as unsecure and am at the Zstick limit(240 nodes) with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            I would highly recommend waiting for the upcoming new Z-Wave plugin as it may solve this issue for you. Best case scenario it solves your issue(s), worst case you are now.
            Thanks for the input Rupp, Is this something that is in Beta now? Also, would the other Z-wave plugins (Multi-status and Z-wave parameters) be contributing to my issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              Rupp, any idea how long until this new plugin comes around? My system has become totally unreliable and this is on a new Z-Net and a fresh install and configuration of Homeseer.

If this plugin is not looking to be in the near term I will just blow this away and re install everything without the S2 (Add Unsecure) as S2 seems to be the driving factor behind my system instability.

Comment

For what its worth, I think you are on the right track to not use S2 security. S2 generally takes longer to add and it will be a little slower when communicating.

HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I think that is where I am at.

Yeah, I am sitting here getting errors that it cannot control the Fan in my Office. The homeseer server and Z-Net are literally in the same room. I have been on Homeseer for 14 years and it has been awesome, but this is as frustrating as it gets!

I have restarted the HS software, restarted the interface, and restarted the plugin over the last hour to see if any of that helps and it appears to just be dead in the water now.

Comment

So I figured out the strangest thing. Apparently the z-wave devices can get into a state where they blast the network constantly and either slows or flat out overwhelms and stops the network (Thanks Tyler@homeseer!). I had a device in my kitchen last night that my wife said she was not able to turn on or off via the switch. I popped the little breaker at the base of the switch, turned it on and off, and suddenly my whole network started working again.

Super weird and does not solve my broader S2 issue, but at least it got my network back up and working.

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
                      Super weird and does not solve my broader S2 issue, but at least it got my network back up and working.
                      Good to know. I hope that clears up your problem.

Don

Comment

Working...
                      X