Anyone tried the Beyond Microwave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone tried the Beyond Microwave?

I am moving into a new house at the end of the month and was thinking of purchasing some new appliances. (My girlfriend has already turned down the LG fridg with the TV built in) But she thought that the microwave by Westinghouse with the barcode reader is interesting. You can see it at Smarthome:
    http://www.smarthome.com/1304.html

Any of you have experience with this microwave? Any reviews?
    Seems like .9 cft is pretty small.

Thanks
    Bernie

My opinion may be effected by the fact that I have a certain amount of cooking experience, but I don't see much utility in it. The main automation feature this offers is that it will automatically set the power and cooking time based on what type of product you're cooking. Given that most microwave oven cooking sessions are very short and simple, I don't see much added value there. For a microwave I'd instead select a unit that has a decent amount of capacity and power, plus has the best form factor for the space in your particular kitchen.

Comment

consider this type...

A microwave that is also a convection oven, is a real time saver. You get heat and speed, together or seperately. It operates like a microwave that can cook with heat too.

my $.02
      HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.258

Comment

Check out the GE Advantium -- cooks with light and microwave. Works very well.

Don

Comment

RegForte:
          I tend to agree with you also. I do a lot of cooking myself and I didn't think that the space was big enough. Second, there are a few things that would anoy me possibly. 1) that the item purchased would not have a stored setting and would have to enter it myself. and 2) I can just see throwing the can, box or wrapper away and then have to dig in the garbage can in order to scan the barcode.

dschoppe:
          Thanks for pointing out the GE product ... it seems real nice , but I can also see it out of my price range for now

I was hoping, from this thread, to at least trigger some opinions from users about the satisfaction of their microwaves and if there were some available out there that had some automation.

I do have to say that one thing that I like about the Westinghouse Beyond is that the clock sets itself to the Atomic Clock. I am not sure if any others have that feature, but I alway thought that it was funny to have this automated house and have to spend 20 minutes twice a year to set all the clocks.

Any other opinions are still welcome, thanks to everyone that has responded so far.

Bernie

Comment

Working...
          X