HS 1.7 as a service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS 1.7 as a service

I'm re-evaluating homeseer. Originally gave up on it since I couldn't figure out how to run as a service, but I've found a few posts via google that say it can be run as a service. So, I'd like to give it another try.

Can anyone give me a hand in setting this up?

I'm excited to try out the 2.0 beta, which seems to be very service-based. But looks like they need some more time to work on it - it's in that "just a couple more weeks" mode for the last couple of months.

In case someone asks why? I am running a server in the basement that controls the web server, media files, printers, etc. I'm not usually logged on to that machine and if I am it's via remote desktop. HS needs to run on that box.

Thanks
    Pete

Pete,

HS 1.x cannot run as a service. It was tried once and didn't work very well so the support was removed.

HS 2.0 runs just fine as a service and, in fact, that's the only way it runs. The internal beta is progressing well. There are still issues being uncovered that could significantly impact the general population in an open beta test. But, rest assured, it is very stable and most of the issues are in the interfaces.

BTW. I use HS 1.7 all the time on my basement server and I'm hardly ever there. Remote desktop has some pretty major issues so I dumped that and just use UltraVNC to access it from my laptop or den desktop. Works just fine and I've never had the requirement to have it run as a service. Especially if the machine is dedicated in the basement just use HS 1.7 in normal mode and install VNC. You'll be happy!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll wait for the HS 2.0 public beta. I work for a software company, I know that things always come up despite best intentions to hit a date.

Lots of reasons why I use terminal services on that machine. Leaving a user logged in and HS running is simply not an option for me. Sounds like HS2 is doing it right.

Comment

Actually George HST has posted a knowledgebase artice showing how to run HS1.7 as a service:

http://www.homeseer.com/cgi-bin/help...iew=16&lang=en
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks so much, I'll give that a try! (But still want to try out HS2) ;-)

Pete

Comment

I tried lots of remote tools, but finally stuck with Remote Desktop to access mine that is upstairs. It works really well and is quite fast.

I only need to go upstairs when there's a H/W problem.

gk

Comment

Working...
            X