homeseer not showing devices or events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

homeseer not showing devices or events

I have been using version 1.7.30 for a while without problems.

However, today I rebooted my winME computer (I know, it's lame)... and homeSeer failed to display any of my events and devices in the regular user interface. This seemed odd, so I loaded my backup config xml file and got the same thing.

Hmmm.. I then went to the web interface, and I can now see all of my events and devices, however all the devices stats are "unknown".

OK.. so I am thinking that one of the homeseer files got corrupted somehow... so I take the installation CD and I "repair" homeseer. No difference in the behavior.

I also turned on all the debugging in the startup script, and also deleted the ah.log since it was HUGE. Log does not show any errors.

Anybody seen this before? Know how I can fix it?

Thanks, rich

Originally posted by rich63
    I have been using version 1.7.30 for a while without problems.

However, today I rebooted my winME computer (I know, it's lame)... and homeSeer failed to display any of my events and devices in the regular user interface. This seemed odd, so I loaded my backup config xml file and got the same thing.
    Are you sure your backup config file isn't messed up as well? Try looking at it in detail just in case.

Comment

Rich,
      It sounds like you XML config file has gotten corrupt. I would recommend first restoring from a backup. If you do not have a backup you should. HomeSeer also maintains a backup XML file try that. If you need a free backup program I recommend backeRupp I use it to back up mu config directory as well as my XML config file every night. In addition I backup my entire directory every Saturday. You should be able to find it in the scripts library. If not let me know and I can't post it there.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I can tell when this is about to happen... for whatever reason when my HS fails to unload (End Program popup) during a reboot, sure enough my XML file is corrupt and get that exact result. I keep daily copies, just in case. It's happened about 4 times in the last 6 months.
        Mike

Comment

Hmm.. I do back up my file. I have my file backed up on multiple places on my disk. Actually there were multiple backup files in the config directory, and also a handy backup in the desktop folder. I probably have a backup on a CD somewhere too. In any case, I did load all three of the backups, with the same result.

I will look at the file in detail as suggested.

It is interesting that the web interface shows all the devices and events without a problem.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice... I'll let you know how this works out.

Rich

Comment

Rich,
            Make sure the drop downs on the event and device views (at the top left) are set to all.

Comment

Yes, the drop downs are set to "all" on the device and event views.

Also, I took my xml file, and plugged it into the xml validation software at http://www.w3schools.com/dom/dom_validate.asp It says the xml parsed fine. No errors found.

However, the xml tester at http://www.stg.brown.edu/service/xmlvalid/
              says the file lacks a DOCTYPE declaration, then asks validate anyhow? Upon continuing, it says there is an error on every line. Hmmm... I think this tool requires a doctype declaration.

Can someone tell me if their xml file validates correctly?

Even if the first test is a simple test... and it says it parses correctly, then it implies that the xml file is not really corrupt.

Thougts?

Comment

Rich,
                Post your XML file and I'll try to load it here and let you know how it looks form this end.

Comment

Here is my XML file as an attachment. verjinski.xml

Rupp, thanks for taking a look at it. This one has me stumped so far.
                  Last edited by ; April 10, 2005, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Rupp, backeRupp looks very useful; however, I get this.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Jay,
                      Did you load the vbzip.dll in the original Zip file located here:
                      http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=101702

Comment

Rich,
                        I tried your XML file here and all the devices show up just fine. All of them were unknown but that's to be expected. I think your MDAC install has gotten corrupt somehow. Try reinstalling MDAC from here and see if this fixes your problems.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Comment

Yes. CorRuptted download?
                          Sorry, couldn't resist that.
                          Should I retry?

Comment

I re-installed MDAC, and rebooted and no change... I still cannot see the events and devices from the traditional homeseer view. (and I double checked to make sure I had all

I just put my mouse in the space where events should be, and double click... I do get an event dialog poping up. Also, when double clicking in the device space, I get a device poping up. In each respective case, it is the same device/event no matter where I put the mouse on the screen.

Now that homeseer has been running a while, the status of various devices have begun to move from unknown to their "proper" states.

Any other thoughts on this issue?

Thanks, rich

Comment

Rich,
                              This is the wierdest thing I've ever heard. What screen resolution are you running on your monitor.

Comment

Working...
                              X