Serial to USB Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serial to USB Adapter

Does anyone have any experience with the adapter. My hard drive crashed so I set up HS on my laptop. My W800 is plugged in via the adapter but does not seem to be receiving any signals? Using a hand pad and pressing a button nothing appears in the log nor does the event trip. The W800 initializes during start up. Anyway to check if its receiving?
    Mike

Mike,
    Many of these are all but useless. There are some really good ones but many more bad ones.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Which Serial to USB are you using? Has it worked with other serial devices ? Did the W800 work with the other PC (ie the W800 is known good) ?
      Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

I brought a couple of these adapters off ebay, first time I have used them. The W800 has worked without a problem, that's why I knew reallly it was the adapter. Now oddly last night I used house code K1 to run a sequence at bedtime. Shows in the log and everything fired as normal. If I fire housecode L1 nothing and nothing in the log

Comment

Originally posted by goddard99
          I brought a couple of these adapters off ebay, first time I have used them. The W800 has worked without a problem, that's why I knew reallly it was the adapter. Now oddly last night I used house code K1 to run a sequence at bedtime. Shows in the log and everything fired as normal. If I fire housecode L1 nothing and nothing in the log
          Hum... Make sure you do not have the L house code set to be ignored in the configuration settings.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

There seem to be good usb to serial adapters and junk ones. The top below link is a type that has worked well for me for sending bytes to gizmos. The bottom link is the type of adapter that did not work at all. If the adapter has the thumb screws attached to it (which is not correct for that end of the adapter), then you probably should pass on it even if it is real cheap.

http://tinyurl.com/63tto
            http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...2RS232&cat=CBL
            Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

I agree with zoomcat

I have two of the 'geeks' models, and they don't work at all. It comes with a CD, (even though the ad said no drivers required), but the CD only contains VB sample code for driving the unit.

The other one looks like it may be a 'Belden' one, of which I have one. It works flawlessly (no driver required). They call it a 'PDA adaptor, and I had to actually look in the PDA department of my computer store to find one... wierd. The computer sales guys had never heard of it.

Comment

Look for an Edgeport USB to serial adapter box. 4, 8 or 16 ports. I have two 8 port boxes via eBay. Work great with "everything" so far.

Comment

I've had "PDA adapters" that didn't work very well with anything else.

The Edgeports always get a lot of recommendations. I've got an 8-port one but I've yet to install it.

I try to stick with adapters that use FTDI chips. I've never had any problems with them. I'm using a couple I got from www.byterunner.com on my HS machine.

Comment

The adapters I brought did not have any brand name on them, they send signals but do not receive. I had a spare laptop with a serial port and re-loaded and everything is back to normal. i assume that the adapters are not bi-directional

Comment

A year or so ago I bought a couple of different brand USB/seria converters - China-gems.
                      I threw them in the trash because the Windows XP drivers were garbage, the main problem was a trendency to change COM port numbers upon reboot.

I use an Edgeport 8 port box on the HS pc. Flawless.

But for my other PC, and my laptop which has no serial port, I this week picked up another USB/serial. Shrink wrap from China. A plugy thing without a cable. I used it with the driver in XP - I did NOT use their CD-ROM. It works quite well. I dug and found it uses FTDI's chipset, and no doubt, their XP driver.

The plugy dongle of course has no brand name on it. I think they are manufactured in China under license from FTDI and marketed in shrinkwrap by many.

Comment

Windows XP has a problem with some USB/serial adapters where it will keep increasing the com port number assigned to the gizmo each time it is plugged in. This can usually be stopped by reassigning the gizmo to a specific port number. Then XP seems to remember to use the same port number.
                        Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Microsoft - occasionally, they should eat their own dog food

Comment

I've actually had good luck with the devices sold by Radio Shack!

Tony

Comment

I have one that I purchased from RatShack when I needed an emergency set up,.... I have tried it since on several other devices and it has worked well. It was kinda' pricey, but I was in a bind at the time. I don't know who really makes it but it does work.

Comment

Working...
                              X