Recommendations for new Sprinkler System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for new Sprinkler System

Getting quotes for a sprinkler system. Looking for something which is HS friendly.

This is the first time that I am installing one and I do not know anything regarding sprinker systems. I am looking to cover approximately 25,000 of grass with the system.

Any suggestions?
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

RE: Sprinkler

I used the Rain8 and have had no problems. I love it. I know you can use multiple ones if you need many zones for that plot you got.

-l

Comment

Pete, there was a thread here talking about automating the task of winterizing the sprinkler system. For future proofing, you might want to consider adding the plumbing fittings that might be needed to automate this next step. Whole lot easier when you are plumbing the initial setup, then as an afterthought.

I have a lake fed system and because of that I can overpressurize the system if no zones are open and the pump is running (mechanical, electrical or programming problem). I added a high pressure cutoff switch to the plumbing to cut the power to the pump relay. Might not be needed if you are using city or well water (won't get that high of pressure).

I am also going to be adding this spring a fertigator setup to use the sprinkler system to fertilize the lawn using liquid fertilizer. Also easy if added to the initial plumbing.

I started with a 2 inch PVC manifold (10 zones) and in one year switched it over to galvanized as the PVC wasn't durable enough.

While they (or you) are running the pipes underground (trench or pulled), you have an opportunity to add wires were you need it (low voltage or high) for other projects. If using pull technique, test the wire before they leave (didn't get broken in the process).

Have fun!

Comment

The Rain8 family is a good solution for automated control. Reliable units with an internal safety timeout for most types. Serial (Rain8-Net), RF (Rain8-Wireless), or X10 (Rain8-X10). The mcsSprinklers plugin to Homeseer has native support for these and the forthcomming Rain8-X10-2 which is a 2 way X10. A mcsSprinklers version also provides an automation solution independent of Homeseer.

Schedule40/80 PVC is pretty tough stuff. Smoothtlk, do you have heavy equipment running through your irrigation fields?

Comment

The PVC issue I mention was just in regards to the Manifold - not the field runs.
          It's not the heavy equipment issue, it's the heavy handed owner that is usually the problem I also have a lot of Poly tubes (feed run = 2 inch, field runs are either 1 1/2 or 1 inch) that puts a lot of stress on the manifold as they all want to bend it one way or another. Time on the PVC causes it to distort (especially if it's a hot day) and ultimately to crack. The galvanized 2 inch trunk is really strong.

I too use the Rain8Net relays. Nice stuff!

Next step is to use your mscSprinkler script in HS2.0 for control. thanx for providing it!

Comment

Do note that the mcsSprinklers version posted in the mcsSprinklers forum is both HS1 and HS2 compliant. I removed the one from HS2 Beta forum after I took the plunge and made all the HS2-required changes to current baseline.

Comment

Sprinkler Irrigation Company

I am not sure what equipment they will use but I see from the current thread what suggestions I should make. I have a maintainance company that does the yard work and what to make sure it resilent to their work.

So far I see:

1 - type of PVC piping I should use : (3/(3/4", 1", or 1 1/4"), heavier gauge (schedule 40) or Polypipe. (live in the midwest)
              2 - metal versus plastic manifold
              3 - Raintree mfg.
              4 - Where I live there is no water pressure so I will need to add some to drive the system and not sure best means.

And yes...while they are digging adding more wires (been doing that since I have moved in). To the furthest back corner of the yard I am adding electric, video and a cat 5 (camera & electric) imbedded in a short 6 X 6 post. To the front similar in that I am adding a brick mailbox with a light, camera and hard wired mail sensor.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I do not think RainTree has any automated controllers that integrate seamlessly with Homeseer. Rain8 is a product line sold by WGL Design in San Antonio, Tx. RainTree does have a full product line for the heads, valves, etc.

Comment

On-Line Source

Here is a on-line source for most of your needs for sprinkler systems.

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/

Comment

When I built my irrigation system bck in NY many years ago, I added self draining capability at the end of every run. Basically at the end of the run I dug a small post hole about 3 feet deep, and terminated the run in an elbow. Short length of poly down into the hole with a spring loaded one way ball check valve at the end. When pressure was on the ball check valve forced against the spring and sealed the pipe. No pressure the spring won and the line self drained. Just a thought

Comment

Have now done a few irrigation systems from custom (buying dry contact water valves from plumbing store) to rain8 and others. These are really easy to automate. Irrigation valves are just dry contact switches. If you have an ocelot you can hook up a Secu16 module and connect the i/o points to your irrigation valves. Then use HS to open and close the valves. Piece of cake. Saves a lot of money too on those hard to figure out controllers.

Comment

smoothtlk - where do I find a galvanized manifold? Looking to make it HS free but at the same time be able to automate. Had my landscaper look it over and he said we should be ok with an 8 port manifold. (for eight zones and 40 heads).
                        Last edited by Pete; May 7, 2005, 01:56 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

You build the manifold out of galvanized plumbing parts -

Threaded Plug - T - close nipple - T - close nipple - T - close nipple- etc - T - reducer (for pressure sensor <> Ball valve <> air fitting - which is replaced by a small threaded plug in the summer season).

The sprinkler solenoid valves screw to the odd side of the T. I stagger top mount / inline mount so there is more room between valves in case they need to be serviced. In the middle of the manifold is a T that connects to a Gate valve which then connects to my lake fed pump. this gate valve is so that I can shut down the path to the pump when I want to air pressurize the zones in the fall to push water out of the lines for winterizing.

My manifold is 2 inch diameter and most of the water valves are one inch diameter.

All parts are available at Home Depot or any other home improvement store.

About $50 in parts plus the cost of the valves ($14 each) for a 8 zone manifold.

Comment

For future proofing, you might want to consider adding the plumbing fittings that might be needed to automate this next step. Whole lot easier when you are plumbing the initial setup, then as an afterthought
                            Amen to that.

However, if you don't have the fittings for winterization, there is another way around it. Pull out the guts on one of the installed heads, and put the nozzle of a leaf blower (or shop-vac in blower mode) into the casing. In my case, the shop vac had enough pressure/volume to clean the system out nicely. Install the guts back into the casing, and you are ready for winter. It's not automated, but sometimes you just have to make do with what you have.
                            My system is described in my profile.

Comment

Working...
                            X