Watchdog program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watchdog program

I found this watchdog program mentioned when browsing another forum. It may be useful to someone concerned about HS crashing!

http://www.kwakkelflap.com/watchdog.html

Jon
    Jon

Seems like a good program, and I bought it, but it doesn't seem to work with Homeseer. I think all the processes that Homeseer starts up gets it confussed.

Comment

Jon,
      Surely you have tried MCS's Guardian Angel on this message board. Michael knows the HS environment well and has built this little app with HS in mind.

Also, I don't know if you have an Ocelot, but there are code snippets in that forum for a hardware watchdog.

Between Guardian Angel and the Ocelot, I have no hangs over ten minutes.

~Bill

Comment

Why do you need a watchdog type system?
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
          Why do you need a watchdog type system? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some people's systems are not perfect. With all the plugins, home brewed apps, running multiple programs on HS computers, we occassionally get lockups or stalls.

A lot of people had problems with W2C HiPhones that used to cause hardware lockups too.

I want my home automation as reliable as possible so I incorporate different watchdogs to ensure this.

I reboot my computer every night at 11:45PM. That way if speech takes a dump or some other program dies in the background, I will have a fresh HS running by morning when I need it the most.

wrb

~Bill

Comment

I see.

Comment

If you look at the date of my post it was in early 2003.

I do use an Ocelot as a hardware watchdog but the info was just to inform others if they wanted to go a software route. As Anogee has found out, it obviously does not work with HS.
              Jon

Comment

I have been using the one listed in this thread. It is free and works great, notifies my by email if HS is ever not responding.

Comment

Scott,
                  What do you do if it is locked up or down? This is only half of the solution no?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
                    Scott,
                    What do you do if it is locked up or down? This is only half of the solution no? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I reboot, or wait to see if it fixes itself... Notification is extremly important, I can also trigger reboots with scripts or many other methods... I was offering something external, that was free, and it works great. If you want to pay a little more they offer even more features that can automate everything.
                    Personally there are somethings I don't want to automate. I want to see what is happening before I reboot/restart, as too many times I have seen systems stuck in a auto-reboot loop...

The top solution in this thread does nothing if the network is down or the entire system is not responding...

Comment

Working...
                    X