Homeseer Web Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer Web Access

I have two computers with Homeseer on them at the moment for develoment purposes. The Windows 98 system I can access over the internet from the outside world on IP Address(of router):8080/. This works fine. The other computer running Windows 2000 I have set up on the same IP Address (as the router):8888/. I don't seem to be able to access the Homeseer Web Page over the internet from the outside world. Any ideas or comments would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help !!!!

Rick,
    You need to forward the win2K machines internal address. So in your router you need to select something like 192.168.0.122 and port 8888. This way the router sees the routers address with a port of 8888 and knows this needs to go internally to 192.168.0.122. Of course the 192.168.0.122 needs to be the ipaddress of the 2K machine.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp,
      This is where I get a bit confused. If I go to whatismyipaddress.com it says the ipaddress on both machines is the same. The internal IPaddresses are different. but the address that the machines are accessed from the outside world is that of the router, which is the same for both computers, just a different port number. In other words, when I access the computers over the internet from the outside world, I don't use the individual internal IP Addresses of the machines, but the router address plus the port that the Homeseer Server is running on which is different for both computers. I can access the Windows 98SE machine fine from the outside with this method, but not the Windows 2000 system. Maybe I do have to go into the router settings and tell it to forward port 8888 for the Windows 2000 computer. Also, I may have to adjust some settings in Zone Alarm on the Windows 2000 computer. Any further comments or ideas are much appreciated and thanks again for all the help !!!!!

Comment

Rick,

I never got my system working when zone alarm was active. I don't think I am smart enought to know how, although I tried many things.

Comment

Rick,
          What you explain is exactly how it works. Your WAN/external/whatismyipaddress.com ipaddress is that of your routers. When your router gets a request it has to decide what to do with this request. This is what the port is for. The routers job is to route the request to the proper internal machine. The is done differently on different routers but most of the time its called a virtual server. You need to tell your router when a request is received on port 8888 to go to the win2k machine. If you need to get that machines ipaddress go to the machine and bring up a DOS prompt and type in ipconfig. This will give you the LAN/internal ipaddress. Put this in the virtual server of the router.

Comment

Beach,
            Make sure to go into Zone Alarm to the firewall portion and set the security level to "Medium". I had the same problem and after I did this, things worked o.k., except for this issue which is not due to zone alarm.

Comment

Rupp,
              I take it when you mean enter the information into the router virtual server, you mean to go into port forwarding and make sure that port 8888 is associated with the IP Address of the Windows 2000 computer so the router can forward requests to the Windows 2000 computer. Would this be correct or am I missing something here?
              Thanks again for all your help !!!!

Comment

You got it.

Comment

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth, I have a Linksys router and I have almost the same setup (without zone Alarm). I had to setup the port forwarding to take 8080 and send it to my homeseer computer. If you go to my address, without the 8080, it routes to another web server in my closet. The problem I had was that I had configured my homeseer computer as DHCP and it worked one day and not the other. As I pinged the computer while troubleshooting, I found that it didnt respond. so when I figured it out, I set it to a static ip. Now, when port 8080 is incoming, it routes to that computer (192.168.1.99) All is well.
                  A computer's attention span is as long
                  as it's powercord.

Comment

How do you set up a pc with a static ip? I have a westell 2200 modem with built in router with verizon dsl. It plugs into a 16 port linksys hub that feeds the house. The 2200 uses auto dchp or whatever it's called to give ip addresses to whatever I plug in, but I would like to have each pc with a static ip. I tried it once, and it didn't work.

Comment

Beach,
                      Are you saying that your internal pc's ipaddress are changing? I use DHCP and my have never changed.

Comment

To setup the pc to do static, first of all, go to start, run, command, then type ipconfig. This will tell you your gateway, and DNS settings. Then close that and go into the control panel and networking, then look at the tcpip settings. It shoudl now be set to "obtain ip address automatically". Change this to "use the following IP address" pick an address that is close to the range that your router serves but not in that range. For example, the Linksys starts at 192.168.1.100 and goes up. I picked 192.168.1.99 because the router will never give this to another pc in my house. Set this address as your IP address, and use the mask form the ipconfig you did before. Then set the DNS addresses (click "use the following DNS addresses) and the gateway that the ipconfig gave you before. save all this and it might ask for a reboot. Then use this address you just created when you setup the port forwarding in the router.
                        A computer's attention span is as long
                        as it's powercord.

Comment

sdanks,

I'll give it a try. I think this is what I did at some point, and it did not work, but I may have done something wrong. Thanks.

Comment

I don't know about the capabilities of other routers, but I use a router that allows me to assign the IP (via DHCP) based on the NIC MAC address. That way I have DHCP and "static" IP at the same time.

The reason I do that is I have a bunch of notebook computers on the network that also need to connect to other networks, and having a static IP can cause problems with that.

As for why an IP address would change when using DHCP...it'll happen when PC A disconnects from the network and PC B then connects, taking the IP address that PC A was using.

Comment

Personally, I have set up the DHCP server to 'lease' the IP-adress for 999 years. That way, when a computer reconnects, it will always have the same IP without having a static IP.

I am not sure if this is possible on hardware routers. I use a software router myself.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X