Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I tell if another network PC is turned on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I tell if another network PC is turned on?

Greetings!

I've successfully installed a remote shutdown script for my kids PC's.

How can I tell if the PC is actually on, so that I know to shut it down?

I realize sending the shutdown command if the PC is off won't really matter, but I don't want HS yammering an announcement through the house if the PC isn't on in the first place.

Is there a way I could ping the IP address and then read the response for "reply from" or "time out"? Or is there some other way?

Thanks!

Steve C.

Take a look at the DooNetwork plugin

Comment

uhhh - for free.

Comment

Originally posted by swc69
        uhhh - for free.
        Well I must admit that the plugin is not free, but Jim only asks for a $5.00 donation to CHAUG if you use the plug-in which IMHO is well worth the price.

Comment

My Bad.

I didn't check the price. I had just assumed that it was $29.95 or something like that.

For $5 I'll look into it.

Thanks for your help,

Steve C.

Comment

You can copy the below batch file, paste in notepad, change the ip address to the kid's computer IP address, save as test.bat, and double click it to see if the computer pings.

@echo off
            ping -n 3 192.168.0.101
            pause
            Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

I downloaded the DooNetwork plugin and it seems a little messy. It doesn't display well on the HS browser interface for some reason and I can't read all the fields. From the doc it sounded like it would build devices automatically based in IP's, but after the install the data fields were all raw. (its probably just me).

I was looking maybe for something along the lines of Zoomkat's suggestion, where maybe I could execute a ping command to a file and then read the results. As I write that, that sounds a little overcomplicated to parse the text file for "reply from" or something.

I would think there has to be an easier way.

Steve C.

Comment

Here is a screen shot of what my web-based view looks like. You are right in that DN is to detect and setup your network devices although you may need to set some configurations (it's been a while since I set mine up). I assume you found the readme file in the docs folder?
                Attached Files

Comment

Can't get much simpler than this.

@echo off
                  ping -n 1 192.168.0.101 |find "timed out" > nul
                  if not errorlevel 1 echo off line >ping.txt
                  if errorlevel 1 echo on line >ping.txt

Comment

Mark -

I must have done something wrong in the install, since I just had a blank screen to add devices.

I'll do some searching on the forum and see if I can find out what I did wrong.

Your attached screen looks great. If I can do that with DooNetwork it'll be well worth the $5.

Zoomkat! - |find in a DOS command? I never knew that was possible. I learn something new every other day!

Thanks!

Steve C.

Comment

You should be able to do something similar with a script where you click on a link and the script runs on the web server and returns a web page with the status. Easy done with apache, but don't know about homeseer.

Comment

I have a script that pings my 8 PC's and posts the status to virtual devices as well.
                        Attached Files
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

UltraMon..

Try the UltraMonitor plugin.
                          Excellent..
                          Hasn't missed a beat since install.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=85751

...JG
                          3.0.0.548: HS3PRO - 3.0.5.10: AIAlert - 2.1.1.0: APIWeather - 2.0.64.0: BLBackup - 2.0.45.0: BLLAN - 2.0.37.0: BLRoombaWifi - 1.0.0.3: DevLog - 1.2.5.15: KeyPad - 3.0.2.25: NetCAM - 0.0.0.52: Pushover 3P - 3.0.0.5: SendVFD - 1.0.0.3: Tiles - 3.0.11.0: Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
                            I have a script that pings my 8 PC's and posts the status to virtual devices as well.
                            Can you post that Rupp?
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Try this--
                              PHP Code:
                              sub main() 

MainComputer "xxx.xxx.x.xxx" "|" "X2" 
                              AndrewComputer "xxx.xxx.x.xxx" "|" "X3" 
                              Earthlink "67.2.240.2" "|" "X4" 

GoPing MainComputer 
                              GoPing AndrewComputer 
                              GoPing Earthlink 

end sub 
                              Tim
                              FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capt-Tim/209398425902188

HSTouch Layouts - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5902188&type=3

Comment

Working...
                              X