HS PCI Modem Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS PCI Modem Issues

I just did a complete fresh OS Install (XP Media Center). I am having problems getting the HS PCI modem to work. It worked 100% before installing the new OS. (Caller ID worked, Dialing out worked, picking up, and recording messages worked).

I am getting the following error in the modem log:

InitModem port: 4
    The device is not open
    Exit InitModem Error

It looks like the com port is not open, how would one go about opening the com port for HSP? The modem is installed correctly with the HS Modem drivers, and responds to a query in the control panel. Also works and responds using Hyper Term when sending it AT commands.

Any Ideas?
    Visit My Home Seer Site at:
    www.JohnWPB.com
    Created with LCARS

I bet you modem installed at Com3 and it looks like HSP is looking for it at Com 4.
    Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

XP Media Center is known for hareware compatibility issues. You may want to visit "thegreenbutton.com". Although the site has premier search issue problems, it is where I found information to solve
      most of my compatibility problems. I remember reading many posts on "my caller ID doesn't work" issues.

Comment

Still Stumped.....

Actually it is installed in com4 and that is where I can query it through control panel, ans all reports "ok". I also used hyperterm, on com4 and was able to send AT commands and "talk" to the modem.

I had this VERY same problem some time ago on XP Pro, before I went to MC. ALL programs I try, 3rd party answering machines, caller ID loggers, and a slew of others work perfectly fine with the modem. The ONLY thing that will not work with the HS PCI modem currently, is HSP. (go figgure ) And I have tried COUNTLESS other programs, modem analizers, you name it. So far with all of this testing, the only program I still can't get to work with the modem it is HSP.

Yes, I have now removed all of these other programs, and nothing else is using the com port currently.

I was just hoping someone would recognise that error in the log. This has me stumped once again.

The last time this happened, I uninstalled drivers, HS & HS Phone, moved the modem to another PCI slot, tried the modem in another machine and spent countless hours (days) trying to figgure it out. I finally just gave up. About 2 weeks later when the phone rang one afternoon, HS announced the caller! I would like to figgure out what it is, instead of sitting back and hoping that it starts working again sometime in the future

Also of note, I have added no new hardware to the machine, either when it started working that afternoon with XP pro, or now with the new OS install.
        www.JohnWPB.com
        Created with LCARS

Comment

You might want to see if anything is using com-2. I think com 1 & 3 and com 2 & 4 share irqs. Also does HSP see the modem at com-4? I get a similar message sometimes if I try to use a serial port that is being used by another program.

Comment

There is nothing on com2 right now. Here's whats on my com ports:

Com1 - CM11a
            Com2 - <Empty>
            Com3 - USB Serial device (for the W800)
            Com4 - HS PCI Modem

Both the CM11a, and the W800 are working perfectly. Honestly, from what I can tell, it dosent seem to be a com port problem. Here is a screen cap of a telnet session:

I issued the command ATDT <My Phone NUmber>. It dialed out, and as you can see of course got a busy signal, calling itself. Next I used my cellphoene to call the house, and as you can see the modem caught the internal incomming call.

All this said, with all of the oftware that I have installed and been able to use to test the modem, the ONLY thing that will not work with the modem is HomeSeer Phone.

What exactly does that error log when it says "the device is not open", of course its not open, so open it! Thats what I feel like screaming at the computer right about now
            www.JohnWPB.com
            Created with LCARS

Comment

Again, does HSP see the modem? Mine is set to com-3 maybe you can try change com port for modem. under HSP options it should detect the modem and tell you which com port its on. From what I can tell either you don't have HSP config to your modem or you have a conflict with some other program using the com port.

Comment

Check the modem properties

If you had a PCI modem previously and replaced it, XP will consider it a new modem and assign it a new com port. If HSP still is using the old one it won't work but may see rings.

I found the same problem on my system. I changed HSP to the "NEW" port and it started working again.

Use Device Manager and modem resources to verify the port is the same as HSP expects. Might not be the problem but worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyham
                  If you had a PCI modem previously and replaced it, XP will consider it a new modem and assign it a new com port. If HSP still is using the old one it won't work but may see rings.

I found the same problem on my system. I changed HSP to the "NEW" port and it started working again.

Use Device Manager and modem resources to verify the port is the same as HSP expects. Might not be the problem but worth a try.

Originally posted by JohnWPB
                  I just did a complete fresh OS Install
                  John,
                  Is this the same machine that you had so many problems with before? I'm starting to wonder if there is something in the system (hardware) that is conflicting with the modem and the HSP drivers. Does this system have a built in sound card or network card?
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

As mentioned, you can add the proper COM port in the HSP options. HSP looks in the registry to find the modem and the COM its using. If the modem was installed before and removed (but not removed from the device manager), there will be multiple registry entries and HSP can get confused.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                    X