w800 Antenna location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

w800 Antenna location

I have recently got rid of my mr26a in favour for a w800, my range in now much better, but it still cannot reach the outbuildings in my garden. at the moment the antenna is installed on the ground floor of my house, would I get a better range if I put the antenna in the roof of my house? Do you think this may cause problems for the motion sensors on the ground floor?

Codey,
    When talking about antennas higher is better. So yes it should help ny moving it up and it that doesn't work try a "bigger" antenna. I tried connecting my W800 to my TV antenna in the attic and I was AMAZED at the range. I could walk down the sidewalk 3 houses away and still control my porch lights.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

hmmmm bigger Antenna

Thanks for the reply Rupp. do antennas not have to be special length to work at the correct frequency?? I know nothing about this? I'll run a cable to the loft and try some tests.

Comment

Since running 2 W800`s I have also noticed how tempermental the range can be.. Both of mine are in the loft / attic along with a wireless router and the wireless X10Cam reciever....getting them all working well at once is hard, my router bleeds over one of my camera signals, the loft ladder when stowed away reduces the range of the W800`s.

It sure is tricky, I a going to try a different antenna as that may help. I today moved the 310mhz W800 so it "pointed" upwards, it was sideways... early indications seem to show all sensors are now getting their signals through... may have saved meself a few bob / bucks

TrOjAn

Comment

I'm running the USA frequency, but I am in the UK, I also have two wireless access points, and a wireless video sender, I suppose it's best to keep each as far away from each other as possible?

Comment

ANTENNAS 101 (more than you wanted to know)

antenna size/length.
            Yes, antennas are "resonant" at the desired frequency due to their size and design. A random length antenna is senseless in most cases.

Frequency = cycles per second, measured in Hertz (Hz).
            1/Frequency is wavelength, usually in meters.
            Convention: 1 lamda = 1 wavelength at a particular frequency.
            Example: 150MegaHz is about 2 meters.

Common single-element antennas are 1/4 or 1/2 lambda and these have little or no gain. Gain is often expressed in decibels, or dB. Some antennas have negative gain, because of their size versus lamda.

Combining multiple elements yields a directional antenna with gain (several dB. Each 3dB is 2 times the power or gain). A parabolic dish is, essentially, a huge number of elements. A TV antenna's elements are an example of a Yagi type of antenna.

You trade directionality for gain in antennas. The ideal antenna would be omnidirectional and have lots of gain. But this is paradoxical.

This is all much like light - a flashlight amplifies the apparent brightness of the bulb via directionality and a single reflecting element.

The antenna design will yield an antenna connection impedance, measured in ohms at the operating frequency (cannot be measured with a simple ohmmeter). Most radios are designed for a 50 Ohm antenna.

====
            So, a 300 or 400MHz antenna could be 1/4 lambda (50 ohms), made from a coat hanger of the right length, soldered onto the end of a piece of 50 ohm coax (TV coax is 75 Ohms). Add four 1/4 lamda "radials", perpendicular to the main radiator, connected to the coax's shield and you have a "ground plane" antenna with about 3dB gain. How so? It creates a doughnut shaped pattern, meaning there are nulls (weak spots) parallel to the radiating element.

Google for "ground plane antenna" and you'll see examples of how to do this using a coax connector SO239 or similar - on which to solder the coat hanger pieces (paint removed).

Cheap remote control radios don't have good control over the 50 Ohm impedance match, so 75Ohm coax is probably OK. Keep the coax to 50 ft or less since it is lossy.

Comment

would it be possible to have two antanna's one directional, pointing at my out buildings, and another multi directional for my house?

Comment

Codey,
                Did you try a "larger" antenna yet? If you do I think you may find that one will do all you need.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I havn't yet, what antenna would best, ideally I want onmi directional

Comment

Working...
                  X