Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds start muted

A bit off topic but is affecting HS...

Recently the PC I'm running HS on started having an issue with sounds playing, affecting both wav and TTS output. If there has been no sound output for about a minute, then I play a sound (wav or TTS), the first 1-2 seconds of sound is muted. Afterwards, the sounds play normally. If I continue to make sounds it works fine, just not after sitting idle for a minute or so. I've tried reloading sound drivers, no change. Problem is present whether inside or outside of HS.

It's a Gateway MediaCenter PC with SB Audigy 2 PCI. System resources are fine, and CPU utilization usually hanging between 10-20%.

Anybody ever heard of this or have any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Mike

I'm kinda bummed... given the vast expertise of this group... no ideas? I've beaten up Microsoft's knowledge base, reinstalled sound drivers, still having this problem. I really don't relish the idea of reloading XP!
    Mike

Comment

are you running it into a sound distribution system? Volume out of PC going into a wholehouse audio situation? AMP, Mixer, Preamp.

Or Is the sound you are trying to get directly from PC speakers.

Comment

pp,

Wish I had thought about that! The sound out of the PC goes to a Russound (CA6.4) house amp. Turns out it's the amp that's the problem, not the PC. Good call! Sometimes I can't see the trees through the forest.

I tried an alternate channel input, has the same problem. So my guess it has something to do with the overall supply of the unit? Once sounds start playing, they continue to play, just not on the initial few seconds of the sound, and only after sitting with no sound for a minute or so. Cycling power to the amp makes the sound play right from the start, but after a few minutes it starts muting again, so I'm suspecting a thermal problem.

So, I'm still bummed, because now I'm either looking at some repair service, or replacing the house amp. On the bright side of replacing the house amp, I've been yearning for one that's serial controllable. The CA6.4 is not.

What would be recommendations?

Thanks again pp for your input, I wasted a lot of time on the pc because I didn't think past the sound output.
        Mike

Comment

Working...
        X