X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jon00
    replied
    Yes, Avant is also a IE based browser.

Talking about browser security, because Fire fox is becoming more popular, so are its venerabilities:

Mind you, it is not nearly as bad as Internet Explorer:

Leave a comment:

• Stevech
    replied
    there's a lot of IE based browser GUIs out there. I used CrazyBrowser for some time a year or two ago. It has the tabbed interface. But it was flakey, and I wanted to cut the cord with IE and its risks, and encourage competition. I buy AMD CPUs too!

"Without competition, there is no excellence."

Leave a comment:

• The Gemini
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Droopyear
    Other: Maxthon www.maxthon.com
    JFYI,Maxthon uses IE's engine...

From their site.. "Maxthon Internet Browser software is a powerful tabbed browser with a highly customizable interface. It is based on the Internet Explorer browser engine (your most likely current web browser) which means that what works in the IE browser will work the same in Maxthon tabbed browser but with many additional efficient features "

Leave a comment:

• jon00
    replied
    Interesting results...too many geeks around here It looks like HST should take note of this and make sure Firefox is totally compatible with HS2!

Leave a comment:

• johnwpb
    replied
    Or worse yet:

"Browser? I use AOL"

hehehe

Just goes to show Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape ect, have like 10%-15% overall usage in the general population. People on this board, and on other tech related boards, that know a thing or two about computers, certainly have shown, from the poll above, it is pretty split 50/50.

Leave a comment:

• MBenzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevech
    A poll of for-real-non-geek PC users, asking:

Do you use Internet Explorer as your web browser?
    and
    What company makes Internet Explorer?

Would, I expect, yield "I don't know" as the popular response.
    Or, "No, I use XP"

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Yep! More than likely.

Leave a comment:

• Stevech
    replied
    A poll of for-real-non-geek PC users, asking:

Do you use Internet Explorer as your web browser?
    and
    What company makes Internet Explorer?

Would, I expect, yield "I don't know" as the popular response.

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Originally posted by bwally
    look up
    Oh those

I would expect geeks like us to be using FireFox though.

Leave a comment:

• bwally
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Rupp
    Bill,
    Where are you getting your statistics?
    look up

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Originally posted by bdickhaus
    Based on the current survey results Firefox users are more than 50%.
    Bill
    Bill,
    Where are you getting your statistics? Here are a few and none show a 50% usage not even close. I would love to use FF at work but where I work they require all development on IE.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/stat.htm
    http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/bstats/latest.html

Leave a comment:

• bdickhaus
    replied
    I've switched over to Firefox both at home and at work. Unfortunately we still have some IE only apps at work (I have no influence over our software development or that would NOT be the case). But the "open in IE" plug-in for Firefox helps with that. Based on the current survey results Firefox users are more than 50%. This means that if HST has chosen an IE only path, they are going to alienate half of their user base. Not a good business move...

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Stevech
    replied
    I find a website incompatible with FireFox (Netscape) about once a month.
    Very rare.

There are others that I know are IE-hard-coded, but fortunately, I'm able to ignore them without impact.

"WITHOUT COMPETITION THERE IS NO EXCELLENCE"

Leave a comment:

• fireball
    Guest replied
    Firefox here except for those few sites that just have to have IE and I tell other people to do the same. I've actually switched a few offices that I take care of over to Firefox too and, with the exception of people who just have to have weather bug/bonzi buddy type things, they've had their adware problems virtually disappear. Also, I haven't had anything other than cookies show up in Adaware or Spybot scans in the past year or so since I switched.

Leave a comment:

• Kyham
    Guest replied
    Ie

I tried Firefox but ran into many things that just didn't work or work right and gave up.

Had the same problem with their email product. Thunderbird I think the name was. Again, just too many things that didn't work right so back to Billy G.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X