No announcement yet.

Advice for buying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know, I'm sure I could empty my bank account in an effort to achive total home automation domination...

Martin's Co is easy on the wallet, I shop around and they always seem to beat the price. WAF like that too!

I like that M1 package but I'm not ready yet. Still learning to crawl.

22v10

Comment

I think the M1 is probably the best value in Home Automation today!
      Martin Custer

Comment

"The Eagle has landed"
        Hi Martin, I received my HAI RC-80B Thermostat(Omnistat) it arrived
        at about 6:10pm and I installed it while the Wife was watching.

It was packaged very nice, and it took only about 15 minutes to install it
        (once I read the manual ) I have a Single stage Heat/Cool system.
        The documentation is very good that comes with the unit. I was able to see the diagram in the guide and followed the one for my type of system.

Once I plugged it in the display illuminated a "Beautiful blue" on the power-up and displayed the temp and time. I got a peck on the cheek from the wife in approval on my install and operation.
        Done at 7:10pm (everything progrm'd)
        She's just glad the old one with the Mercury ball flopping around and looks like the 1950's is a goner.

I'm thinking I will be gettin' Mr. happy, Happy tonight.
        So thanks again, and I highly recommend Automation Outlet for all your home automation needs, Even stuff they don't normally sell.

22v10

p.s. I like this STAT!
        and now I have to hook up HS1.7 to it, cable is ready.

Comment

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad that it will be getting you "Mr. happy, Happy tonight"!

Yes, they are nice looking.

I would also like to let everyone know that we did sign contracts with HAI today and have placed an initial stocking order. You'll be seeing more HAI products on the website soon!

I'll be going to HAI training in the morning as well.

Have fun with the new tstat!

Martin
          Martin Custer

Comment

Ahh, that's great news, Martin! I've been eyeing the HAI stats, and perhaps to a lesser extent the RCSs. I have 3 Trane systems (XL13i AC units with XV80 and XV90 furnaces). The furnaces are 2-stage, but are wired to 1-stage stats, and controlling 2nd stage firing internally.

If replacing stats, I was thinking of using 2-stage HAIs, but wiring them as 1-stage for now (thus leaving open the option to move 2nd stage control back to the stat later if desired). I think it's possible to use 2-stage HAI stats as 1-stage, but maybe you could confirm in training tomorrow?

If I didn't already have an alarm, I'd sure be looking closely at the Elk M1. It looks very nice.

Different topic: Any chance you'll carry the Comtrol RocketPort PCI serial cards? I have a USB to serial VSCOM unit on hand now, but I'm shying away from USB in general due to some comm problems with my USB Way2Call. I think the PCI card might be a better way to add extra RS232 ports...

Anyway, have fun in training. I'm off to AO.com right now to order up some Ocelot and Elk toys

Don

Comment

Great! Move Martin,

I like the HAI stuff, glad to here it. Keep up the good work
              A+

22v10

Comment

Hey Don,

It makes sense to me but I'm not sure. I put a call into HAI to confirm. Sorry - didn't see your message before the class yesterday.

22v10,

Thanks. Yeah, we get lots of requests for it and have gotten stuff for people before. I just place a second large stocking order with them yesterday after the class. We've been adding the products to the website pretty fast. I'm sure more will get added over the next week or so. If you don't see something you are looking for, please let use know. Their factory is pretty close to use so we get products in quickly from them if they aren't in stock. We are planning on stocking them pretty heavily though.

Thanks,

Martin
                Martin Custer

Comment

Don, sorry, I forgot the other half of your post:

No, we don't plan on carrying the Comtrol RocketPort PCI serial cards. Pc cards just really aren't a very good thing to carry unless you buy thousands of them at a time.....
                  Martin Custer

Comment

M,

I like the way you guy's clobber the competition with service and support, I just got orders from headquarters (WAF) to get some more motion detectors. Some stray dog hopped the fence and scared the living crap out of her yesterday. She wants the whole back yard covered.
                    I just smiled and said "Yes Dear"

On my way to order now!

22v10

Comment

We try - thanks!
                      Martin Custer

Comment

Originally posted by AutomatedOutlet
                        We try - thanks!
                        And you do a GREAT job at it! I already received my Ocelot and othter goodies just ordered a couple of days ago! Just waiting now on the ELK 965's. Thanks!

BTW, you may not have seen my post about UPB and Compose the other day. I'm wondering if UPB will pass right through the firewall between inside and outside circuits, as well as between circuits on the inside. I know X10 and UPB can coexist, in general, but this question is a bit more specific. I asked over at Lightolier, but they hadn't tested UPB, and I'm also awaiting a response from simply-automated. Do you have any experience with this?

Thanks,
                        Don

Comment

Excellent question. I have been wondering this myself since I have a firewall box installed in my pool house and want to get UPB signals into there.

I called HAI tech support. They are going to get back to me on it.

I called Simply Automated, they never heard of the Lightolier firewall....

If I don't hear back from HAI later today (I'm sure I will), I'll test it myself at my house and let you know.

My guess is that the firewall blocks the signals but I'm not sure.
                          Martin Custer

Comment

If I don't hear back from HAI later today (I'm sure I will), I'll test it myself at my house and let you know.
                            That would be great, Martin, thanks!
                            My guess is that the firewall blocks the signals but I'm not sure.
                            I'm guessing the same. In this case, I guess one could continue to use X10/Compose devices plus an X10 computer I/F to cover circuits on the "inside", and then perhaps use UPB devices and a UPB computer I/F to automate loads on the "outside". Not as flexible as having UPB "reachability" everywhere, but still workable I think.

Don

Comment

Working...
                            X