High Frequency sound during X10 commands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Frequency sound during X10 commands

Has anyone noticed a very high pitch sound (through a HS attached audio system) whenever an x10 command is sent? I happened to be sitting in my office with the volume cranked up but no TV, radio or MP3's playing. I kept hearing a very high frequency sound (>15K?). I just happend to hit the palm pad to turn off a light, and heard the sound again. I pressed the palm pad again and found that whenever I press any RF device, I hear that same sound. I went into HS and found that it wasn't just RF commands but ANY X10 command being executed causes this. It lasts about 2 seconds. Anyone else notice this? Its a little bit lower than the sound you might hear when you walk into a room that has a TV or Monitor on.

It only seems to happen through the HS machine. Other amplifiers in the house do not pick this up when not connected to the HS machine's audio. When the whole house audio is on, I can hear it everywhere.

Its not a problem. I just was wondering if anyone else experiences this.

If you can hear above 15kHz still, you're WAY too young to have HA!... just kidding. No, I've never noticed that issue, but then again it's been a few years since I could hear that frequency anyway (Too many rock concerts in the '70's)

Comment

I would bet the sounds are being generated via crosstalk noise from your x-10 xmitter that's finding its way back into the computer. You might try moving the the xmitter to a different outlet, further away from the computer. Also, see if any cables (audio?) are too close to any wall-warts.
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by firtha
        If you can hear above 15kHz still, you're WAY too young to have HA!... just kidding. No, I've never noticed that issue, but then again it's been a few years since I could hear that frequency anyway (Too many rock concerts in the '70's)
        At 42, I can still hear high frequencies and have 20/20 (down from much better than that - like one of the guys in the movie Space Cowboys ) vision. Now if I can only find out where I placed my keys .
        Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
        My Hardware & Software

Comment

Sounds like a homeseer solution in there somwhere...
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I rarely have a silent room around me! Usually a TV, radio, stereo of kids.....

I turned them all off and turned the volume right up - pressed the palmpad and heard nothing...

Comment

It must be something with my Amplifier...

I have done just about everything I can think of to eliminate this issue. On a whim, I moved the amp to another part of the house on a different phase and hooked up some speakers, but with no input source for the amp. It STILL does it. It must be something that the Powerlink or W800 puts out over the powerline or air that this old (25yo+) amp picks up.

Its not that bad or anything. I can live with it. It is kind of neat in that I can tell when something is about to happen right before it happens. I can see this as a possible money maker..... :-)

Rob

Comment

Not RF related at all.

Its the PowerLinc USB! Well, its my amp picking up whenever ANY X10 command is sent over the powerline by the PowerLinc.

OK and here is the BEST part. My neibhbor's dog can hear it. ...and he BARKS! Fortunately it is the neighbor across the street.... He got out of his yard today and came over to my front porch for a visit. He was sitting at my feet and barked. I pet him. He barked again. I pet him again. Then it happened again. I just happened to look at my watch clock and saw the second hand passing 4. The next time he barked, I looked and noticed the second hand was passing 4 again. I waited a minute watching my watch and sure enough, he barked right on cue as the second hand was passing 4! Crazy.

That scenario got me looking at Homeseer, and then in debug mode, and THAT lead to my question in the Script Development forum.

Today has been a weird day....

Rob

Comment

I dunno. I think the dog just wanted to be petted every minute at 4 seconds past the minute... You sure train well!

The only part I don't get is how the dog syncronized his watch so well to yours?

Comment

Sounds like a new service tool to me! Is there a part number for the barking dog X-10 sniffer?
                    Mike

Comment

Canine malfunction!

Hmm . . . My dog never barks.

Maybe it's because I need to switch my CM11A to a PowerLinc-USB?

Comment

Lol!

I don't know what to tell ya. I guess maybe he's a WATCH DOG.......

Last edited by outbackrob; June 14, 2005, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X