Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Microphone for house monitoring

Hi,

Does anyone recommend a good microphone that I can use first for home security that can pick up noises in the house. I have a DVR that I use to record my video security that I can also access through the web. It has a RCA audio input.

I would also like to eventually use Homeseer for voice recognition commands, but for now, my security is first.

If there is another message board that can better help with these type of questions, just list the link.

Thanks,

Try Supercircuits' PA3
    http://www.supercircuits.com/?txtSea...&btnSearch.y=6

Comment

Microphones run the gammut from inexpensive like the PA3 Jay listed to the ultra expensive Acoustic Magic Microphone. There's even a forum for the Acoustic Magic Microphone. The AM is a really good microphone for VR as is the Crown line of microphones. The best way to find what will work for you is to try them.

http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=648
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Couldn't agree with Rupp more.
        But for a starter - monitoring background sounds (vs. VR) the $8.00 PA3 (plus supply) can't be beat.

Comment

I'll check it out. The mike I have cost me $80 and has a 3mm jack. However, it will not work on the mike input of the DVR. THe DVR picks up nothing. It does work with my small handheld digital recorder and computer through the mike jack.

I know the DVR will record sound because I hooked up my stereo to the RCA input. Thus maybe I need a mike that can connect to the RCA jack. I already tried an adapter for 3mm to RCA, but that didnt work either.

So I guess it is trial and error. Better buy from a store that has a return policy now

Comment

Most small mics use a 3.5mm plug instead of a 3mm plug. I would suspect the dvr is setup for the 3.5mm type. The RCA jack on the DVR probably is looking for a line level input which probably won't work with common mics which usually need external power to operate (usually supplied by mic jacks).
            Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Like zoomkat said, your DVR requires line-level audio, not microphone-level audio. You need either a microphone pre-amplifier, or a mike with a built in pre-amplifier, like the PA3 that Jay mentioned.

Comment

My DVR accepts both line input (RCA) and a mike input (probably 3.5mm like you said, couldn't remember). I think it is one of the few that has both inputs.

The mike I tried on the DVR does have a built in preamplifier (9-volt battery). But still did not work using the mike input on the DVR. It is very similar to the one at the bottom of this page (Model # SSC-1120): http://www.bronzepoint.com/mini-mic.htm

Since it is so inexpensive, I went ahead and ordered the PA3 with the line level output. I hope it works. I will keep you guys posted.

Comment

Working...
                X