Photos of my HA setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photos of my HA setup

I took some photos over the holiday weekend in hopes of submitting a user profile to the HS website. Everyone seems to like pictures, so here are a few with a quick description.

Below is the main equipment rack that lives in a converted linen closet. An exhaust fan in the ceiling pulls room temperature air from a filtered vent at the bottom rear of the closet and vents it into the attic for cooling. This rack contains the HS server and LAN/WAN gear, plus all the distributed audio gear.

An LCD monitor/keboard/mouse pulls out of the front of the rack:

The entire rack is on casters and can be easily rolled out of the closet. Wiring for Ethernet, microphones, other audio and power come out of the ceiling and are suspended in a "U" shape so that they extend as the rack is removed.

On the right-hand side of the closet, three enclosures are mounted that contain the Applied Digital gear (Ocelot & SECU Modules) as well as power distribution and battery backup for 12v & 24v DC. These power supplies feed juice to the ADI stuff, door locks/strikes, PIR sensors, etc.

Last edited by pkoslow; June 2, 2007, 11:43 AM.

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
    Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Here is a close-up of the Applied Digital gear:

I'm using Crown MB3 microphones in each room of the house for VR and security monitoring. They are about 1 1/4" diameter and recess into the wall:

This is a typical wall switch in a room... provides control of two lights (or a light & ceiling fan) as well as the Leviton DHC controller for macros and the Russound A-Bus keypad for the audio:

Here is one of three installed RFID Readers. This one is installed above the garage door:

Cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by pkoslow; June 2, 2007, 11:44 AM.

Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

Very impressive -- one of the tidiest installations I have ever seen!!!

Don

Comment

Paul,

Your install looks very impressive ...and neat! I know it is quite difficult to get a neat install with the Ocelot & Secu16's modules.

Anyway, I too have my HA set-up in a old linen cupboard and also vent in to the attic. I even additionally force air from the cupboard to the attic space with a temperature controlled fan but still gets very hot in there. Do you have any overheating problems or do you have Air Con in the house to keep the room temp constant (luxury and not normally necessary here in the UK!)

Thanks.
        Jon

Comment

Don - Thanks for the compliment!

John - I live in Central California and don't have air conditioning either. Outside temps here rarely reach >80deg F. The closet does reach ~100deg some days, but still well within the operating range of my gear. Cooler is better for this stuff, but almost everything I have in the rack is commercial grade which generally has a wider operating range than the small/home office stuff. It's all managed gear too, so the server, switch, firewall, etc. can all send email notifications if it starts running too hot or has any failure.

On the 6-8 hot days we have each year, I usually just leave the closet door open during the day while were at work... that big aluminum rack acts as a good heatsink and keeps stuff cool as long as it gets enought air!

Paul

Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

very nice! I wish I had all that equipment and an empty closet! I would severly damage my WAF if I took over a linen closet.

Comment

Wow! Very impressive. I have 1/10th the gizmos and it looks nowhere near that good.

A question regarding the RFID reader. If I remember the wiring documents correctly you more or less daisy-chain when you have multiple readers. Since you haev three readers, why only one cable?

Comment

Wow.... Please consider adding your profile to the cocoontech.com board also. I agree that most of us only dream of being that organized. Are you a pro installer or something.

Comment

Mark - You are correct about the RFID Reader's connecting in a daisy-chain fashion. The one in the picture is located in the garage and is the last one in line so only has one cable. The other two readers are installed in the attic at each end of the house (much more difficult to photograph!).

Squintz - Not a pro installer, but an IT guy by trade. I've built a number of data centers so am very familiar with laying things out, power management, and cabling to keep things organized and looking nice. I do stop by cocoontech.com from time to time and will be happy to contribute with the details of my setup when I get something together.

Thanks again to everyone for the compliments!

Paul

Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

Greaaaaaaat job!

Where'd you get the hinged-door metal equipment boxes?

Comment

The RFID readers can actually be installed in a star topology but they will really be daisy chained. In the star topology 2 pairs of the 4 pair cat 5 go to each RJ45 jack on the reader. In essence you need 2 2 pair cables to feed each reader so a single cat 5 will work. You then resolve all of the interconnects at the head end. I ended up putting 4 RJ45 surface mount jacks at the head end and did some fancy inter jack wiring to make them daisy chained. I can send you detailed wiring data if you are interested.

Comment

Paul,

Thanks for sharing, beautiful work. It's definitely inspired me to do some HA clean-up around the house. <O</O

Comment

Paul.

Very neat install. Could you give us a list of what the racked components are, say top to bottom ?

Thanks.

Phill

Comment

Very Impressive!

I will just repeat what others have already said... That is one AMAZING and EXTREMELY organized install! WoW! it really looks great! If it functions 1/10th as good as it looks, as I immagine that it does, you have a pretty high WAF factor I am sure!

I certainly think that this is HS Profile material! NO QUESTIONS ASKED!
                            Visit My Home Seer Site at:
                            www.JohnWPB.com
                            Created with LCARS

Comment

hey Paul,
                              sweet rack!!

now what i would really like to know is if/how you got the audiotron working with MainLobby ... i find the MLAudiotron plugin hangs up ML about every 2 or 3 days.

thanks for all your inspiration over the last year or two!

steve.

Comment

Working...
                              X