Backing Up With Norton Ghost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing Up With Norton Ghost

I have Norton Ghost 9.0 which works very well especially after they aquired PowerQuest's Drive Image (which I used for many years). I no longer have to shut down Windows to image.

I was thinking of buying a large hard drive and putting it in my HomeSeer Server (lots of room) and then perform a incremental hard drive images of all my computers. For extra precaution, I would simply perform simple incremental backups of the HomeSeer folder on another machine.

If I do this at night, I expect no adverse effect upon HomeSeer since there is less going on. Anybody think this is a bad idea?
    Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
    My Hardware & Software

Jim,

I have been using Ghost for quite some time. I perform the same functions as you are describing. I find it works rather well in the background, and have never noticed it adversely affecting HS operations.

Mike
    Mike

Comment

Me too. My HS server has a 40G boot disk and a 120GB (on sale at Fry's) send EIDE disk. I use that 120GB *only* for backups. It spins down most of the time.

I backup a drive image on my two PCs and a laptop every couple of weeks. I used to fiddle with incremental backups. But it only takes 20 minutes to backup across the 100BT ethernet, so I just do full images now, keeping the last 1 or 2 images for each PC.

I used to use Norton Ghost- but I grew to dislike it compared to competing products. I have been very happy with Acronis TruImage backup. Perhaps Ghost has now caught up. TruImage is Fast/simple; runs as a normal windows program. And you can mount a saved disk image as a new drive letter and get data out of the backup. I have used that a lot. I've never had to use it, but Acronis creates a bootable CD with Linux on it to restore a disk image. It evens automatically finds my 120GB drive across the LAN when booted on a different PC.

I have a USB2 hard drive too; I use it on occasion for backup, but mostly data rather than disk images.

I'd kind of like an ethernet based network disk, but really can't rationalize it given how cheap USB external disks are.

Comment

Could anyone tell me a good way to back up homeseer without using Norton Ghost....any particular files directories etc?? If my PC goes in to meltdown ( heavan forbid!! ) could I reinstall Homeseer and then add and replace the necessary files?

Thanks

Comment

andymorgan,

Use WinZip to zip the entire Homeseer directory to another shared hard drive directory (seperate hardware).
          There are a few scripts to do that. I think Rupp has a script or plugin to do that. Search for "rotating backup" and you should find something.

Comment

Originally posted by andymorgan1
            Could anyone tell me a good way to back up homeseer without using Norton Ghost....any particular files directories etc?? If my PC goes in to meltdown ( heavan forbid!! ) could I reinstall Homeseer and then add and replace the necessary files?

Thanks
            I use BackeRupp available in the scripts library. It allows you to set up various files to back up and store this information in a backupset. Then you can use events in HS to back these sets up hourly, daily, monthly,etc. It allows you to store the last X number of backups as well. In addition I use Acronis True Image to image all my PCs every Monday night. So a major failure and it's a simple restore to the last image and I have my OS and everyting else restored within minutes.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Norton Ghost seems to be virtually identical in functionality to Icronis TrueImage. Haven't read any reviews on comparing the two but I guess I would recommend whichever one is cheaper.

I will mention that it was a lot easier for me to get Norton Ghost to create an image and locate it on a network drive than with TrueImage.
              Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
              My Hardware & Software

Comment

Some of you mentioned script backups. These are fine and I do something similar with Micrsoft Backup in that it is scheduled to incrementally backup HomeSeer folder and I also backup my Outlook Personal Folder (.pst) file.

My question was with regards to complete images which are the best solution for bigger problems than some files messed up in a given folder. I suppose I should have said "Drive Imaging" rather than "Backup".
                Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                My Hardware & Software

Comment

Thanks guys!! I will look into those scripts. thanks again

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                  X