In Ceiling speaker mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Ceiling speaker mounts

I am looking at buying some in ceiling speaker mounts for new construction but I don't want to put speakers in every room at first. If I buy the pre construction mounts can I just have the dry wall cover them up and not cut a hole for them? Will this negativley affect the drywall in anyway?

Thanks

You could do this or you could simply run your wiring to the location where you want to mount your speakers in the future. Most ceiling speakers are made to simply flange out and "clamp" onto the dry wall. Take plenty of pictures. Trust me on this one or you'll never find that wire later.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I looked into brackets during my build, and found them to be pretty pricey. Like $10 - $15 each. Which when you do the whole house it adds up to a lot of money.

You can get reasonably good speakers for TTS speakers for HS for about $30. So for the price of two brackets you could actually install a speaker. (Although of course these won't work well for general Audio).

I've been installing speakers here and there over the last 6 months, and its pretty easy. (Whenever I get $30 in beer can deposits). The speakers come with a cutout template, you draw that on the ceiling, and use a drywall saw to cut the hole. The lip or edge of the speaker will cover up any minor imperfections, and the speakers have automatic clamps to attached themselves to the drywall.

But, like Rupp said, its all about pictures. You must have pics and a frame of reference so that you know where to cut the hole later. In some cases I even wrote on the stud the distance from the wall or floor so when I looked at the pick later I could measure out to where the speaker was supposed to go.

Also - after they do the insulation the odds are that your wires will be moved or buried. Go back and put them in place again and then take more pics.

On a side note - take pics of EVERY wall in the house before they start insulating. You never know when you might need to run a wire or something later, and its good to know what's behind the wall.

Good Luck

Steve C.

Comment

Yep, wires during pre-install and make sure you can find them later. Most speakers don't require brackets anymore.
        Martin Custer

Comment

Good to know

Good information on the speakers with brakets. I will just put the conduit with the wire to the location I think I will want a speaker and take pics. Good info, I really appreciate it.

Comment

When I'm doing mine, I have the drywaller drill a hole in the dry wall, and pull the speaker wire through a couple inches, works great, especially if your going to put the speakers in shortly after the house is built... Then pictures arn't necessacary, and it's very quick and easy to find your locations. (pictures are still not an exact science...) Another thing you can do is make your own rough in kits, by taking a sheet of plywood or osb, cutting your hole in it (then mount these between the joists then instructing your drywallers to rotozip out that hole, much less dust for you. (make sure you get the right sized hole... buy a set of the speakers before you attempt this method I've had to recut 10 holes that were 7", but needed to be 8".... not fun, especially when there is the plywood under the drywall.
            Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

I am in the process of building, and plan to use the following temporary bracket/cover as placeholders until I can afford the actual speakers.

At $2.75 for the set, not a bad deal at all: http://www.hometech.com/audio/roughin.html

Comment

Those look great, I have to ask about the "set" though, isn't the second piece just a blank standard plate cover (OE-MRCVR)? check your local box store, they should have these for less than $0.70 (lowes, home depot etc.)

Plus hometech is out of stock on that item right now.

I think that idea of bending the cover back in is great, becuase if you change your mind about speaker size, the "rough in" won't even be an issue.

all drywallers know how to deal with these type of boxes...
                Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Working...
                X