Advise needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advise needed!

I need you (expert) advice,I want to build a dedicated(cheap) comp for HS to have HS separate of ML and I found
    this:www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1166612&Sku=MBM-7NJL6-XP2900

I don't know much about build comp so any suggestion are realy appreciate.

thanks.

Asking this question is like asking which is better Ford or Chevy? I would suggest looking into pre-builts if you have never built a PC. I can't tell you how many times a new builder has built a system and ran into all sorts of nagging problems. In addtion it's hard to beat some of the system like Dell is selling for around $300.

Like this one:
    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=2d30h7a&s=bsd
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

RAKY0311,

Not to derail you from building your own system, but unless you're looking for a new challenge I'd recommend buying a pre-built PC.

Dell and others often have complete computers (including the operating system) for $300-450 US.

Again... if you looking for a project, I'm sure others can offer advice on building your own but I think you'll have a difficult time building one for much less than you can buy one these days. Especially after you factor in the OS cost.

Cheers,
      Paul

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
      Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

Rupp - Looks like we're on the same page... looks like you beat me to the "Submit Reply" button too!

PK

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
        Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

Originally posted by pkoslow
          Rupp - ... looks like you beat me to the "Submit Reply" button too!

PK
          Know the problem!
          Jon

Comment

Hey guys the more info we give users the better. It's even better when we all agree.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

First off, I agree with all the above. Unless you looking for a project, I wouldn't REALLY suggest it. Compare price of a DELL with this MOBO/chip, case, HDD, RAM, OS, CD/DVD and it will be VERY hard to save more than a few bucks. That compared with having to order all the components, waiting for them to arrive one by one, making sure all components are compatible, assembly, etc makes it hard to beat a Dell.

That said, while the product you linked to isn't the latest and greatest, it is a pretty good deal at that price. I've had good experience with Chaintech MOBOs with Athlon chips, so if you REALLY do want to build your own it looks like you've choosen a pretty good starting point.

Comment

It ain't the motherboard/cpu that will give you heartache. It is the support devices such as sound, IDE, etc that need drivers for specific OS versions. MB manf choose different support devices for each product cycle so one MB manf has as good a shot at success as any other.

Comment

thanks guys! fast response,I realy don't know if is a good idea or not,I thinking in build because I have some extra parts that I like to use like Cd,HD,PSup,case etc (you know?,the low budget factor) Is too hard to configure a new sistem?

Comment

If you already have all the extra parts laying around then buying an all-in-one MB (Lan, video and Audio on board) would certainly be cheap.

You'd still need memory, as the odds are that any memory you have laying around wouldn't work with a new board.

The all-in-one MB's will come with a CD for all the drivers for the on-board devices. The other stuff you already have won't require drivers so that will be good. If you have an OS avalilable that you can use then you are good to go.

But - like everyone else said - this will be a project. It should be easy and straightforward, but there's always something that you'll run into that has to be addressed. With Google and enough time you can figure it out, but be prepared to be frustrated.

A pre-configured system is always a better way to go, unless you are really picky about specific parts/brands you want in the machine. For HS, it really doesn't matter. Plus - if it doesn't work - you can call tech support or send it back.

Steve C.

Comment

I don't know how it is where you're located, but for $319 Canadian (that's about $260 US$) we can get a celeron 2.8 with 256 M memory, 40 GB hard drive, and all the other assorted stuff - but without a monitor. It's really hard to beat this kind of pricing. And you plug it in and it works!

Look closely before you jump into building one - it might be a false economy.

Now, that being said, if you WANT to build one - then go for it!

Comment

thanks,too many suggestion in favor of the preconf sistem,I dont want any problem,I just need a cheap comp for HS that can communicate with my M1 and have another (powerfull) comp for ML,but some times the cheap way turn the expensive.

thanks guys!

Comment

Chickens!

Oh come on guys! Putting a really good system together is a cake walk these days. I have been building systems since the late 80's. Granted, you don't save NEAR as much now as you could back then, but being able to have the best of each component you really need is worth it! ...and its not like you have to flip dip switches or figure out interupts. Its all pretty much plug and play. The trick is finding a parts dealer that is reputable, choosing reputable brands, and having something to do while the OS loads. Oh, and invest in a good grounding braclet and USE IT! It only takes about 2.5 hours to build an entire system and 75% of that is loading/configuring the OS ....and you usually have to do a lot of that anyway with a prebuilt.

I'm a bit anal when it comes to a neat office and wiring closet so I buy the same case for all my systems. All lined up, they look sweet. When I need a new system, I either add a case to the shelf or remove the oldest machine from service and reuse the case. NO extraneous case parts in my parts room. I use the same brand case for customers (very bland and IBMish) so parts issues are rare.

I don't usually build actual servers as there is usually a good deal on the OS on a brand named Prebuilt, but I regularly save $75-125 per desktop and get the very best component for the job to be done. Only had one fry and that was way back in 1994.....

If you are basing your decision to buy prebuilt on your experiences from over about 2 years ago, THINGS HAVE GOTTEN MUCH BETTER/EASIER! Plus, with companies such as Newegg and Directron, the procurment of parts has eased considerably as well.

Anyway, if you are somewhat careful and don't build your machine on the carpet in your living room, its pretty hard to dork things up.....

Rob

Comment

THANKS ! Is amazing the amount of support I receive in this forum

thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
                            X