Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Brower
    replied
    I bought the MPAII from a board member. He said due to the auto-gain, the mic switching (goes to mic with loudest signal) and digital outputs that he had it working well withe PZM11 mics. Those do need a decent mic wire run to each. The digital outs can be fed into an input scheme (like and Ocelot) so HS know where you are talking from, then use a switched audio to reply to that living area.

Leave a comment:

• shaurya
    replied
    Hello Bill,

I must say that HS appears to have lot of capabilities based on what I saw on your post and others in the forum.

You would need a higher end mixer that has digital outputs that would be read by HomeSeer, thus it would know where the speech came from. Look at Gentner AP800's and Gentner MPAII (the one I just receiver but haven't messed with yet).

My understanding is that AP800/MPAII is a mixer for microphone to gate. Do you think I can be used for whole house audio as well to control the speakers. Again in my situation the speakers are not connecting centrally via speaker wires. They are connected to the A-Bus Keypad locally in the room and a cat-5 connects the keypads to the central hub where all the audio sources are present. Based on the AP800 rear picture, I don't see any connectivity option to connect the cat-5 coming from the room keypad to it.

Thanks,
    Shaurya

Leave a comment:

• Bill Brower
    replied
    Originally posted by shaurya

The missing piece in the puzzle that I am trying to understand is how do I make *** control a pair of speakers so that *** speaks only in the room from where voice command is sent.
    You would need a higher end mixer that has digital outputs that would be read by HomeSeer, thus it would know where the speech came from. Look at Gentner AP800's and Gentner MPAII (the one I just receiver but haven't messed with yet).

Once again, if someone makes noise somewhere else, the mixer may route your feedback to that other area.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Brower
    replied
    Here is a screen cap of my basic overview page. It is hosted by my HS box at home. The way HS has its own web server there is almost nothing you can't create.

HAL wont do anything like this as far as I know.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bill Brower
    replied
    I haven't HAL'd in quite a while. I just took a quick spin through their board.

As far as I know, HS will do everything HAL will do. HS will do unlimited things due to the integration of VB and soon .NET scripting. If you look at the HS updater (HomeSeer / Help / Updates) there are tons of free plug-ins and pay plug-ins also. On this board you will see literally hundreds of free .ASP pages and free VB scripts.

The next level abilities of HS have attracted a next level group of home automation people that have developed and are sharing hardware and software solutions like you can imagine.

Just start reading posts. A lot of people have put their HS web interface up as a link at the bottom of their posts. Most of them have the login/password of guest/guest. You will then get a small sample of some of the incredible things these people are doing with this open ended platform.

Leave a comment:

• shaurya
    replied
    Thanks Bill,

I completely concur with you that VR is not something you can tame easily. Your idea of controlled mic (with push switch) makes more sense and appropriate. Still the issue of switching speaker persists with A-bus based audio system.

I read about networked VR but it could only be where you have computer. In my view that could be applicable at only 2-3 places where you can put computer.

When you mentioned that you had HAL, are you suggesting that HS is better in terms of flexibiliy and functions or otherway around.

Shaurya

Leave a comment:

• Bill Brower
    replied
    We as a group are hovering for the soon release of HS 2.0.

Now I don't know if you are the type were you have computers in various places in the house, but HS 2.0 will have a feature where computers on your LAN or over the internet will be able to do text-to-speech and VR from anywhere.

Whole house mics have a lot of disadvantages, they hear everything if not somehow switched on and off and gain is a problem with a high end mixer (used $70.00 on up) and high end microphones that cost $35 to 70 each.

Whole house VR is RARELY like what you see on TV. You see how neat it is at demo time, but don't see the people having to say things over and over until it gets it right.

I an probably going the Enterprise method (I just made that up) where you have simpler mics built into the wall and an actual push button so the audio knows where to go back to without talking throughout the whole house.

LOTS of great info, the search feature here works great, and just browse deep into the forums to see what other people are doing.

I have had HAL, there is no comparison regarding flexibility and function.

Enjoy!

Bill

Leave a comment:

• shaurya
    replied
    Thanks Bill for your response. I own neither HAL or HS. I am planning to for prewiring my new home so I posted on all the forums I could find for this issue. It was a mistake due to copy paste.

I will search for Open Air Mic for the potential issues. Still I would like to find out the way for my issue of Speaker switching with A-Bus based Whole House Audio System.

Thanks,
    Shaurya

Leave a comment:

• Bill Brower
    replied
    I say welcome to the board, but I heavily suggest using the search feature of the board, the topic of open air mics and the draw backs of the system is all over the place.

You will not believe how much info is already in this place.

CHEERS, Bill

Leave a comment:

• Bill Brower
    replied
    Originally posted by shaurya

The missing piece in the puzzle that I am trying to understand is how do I make HAL control a pair of speakers so that HAL speaks only in the room from where voice comand is sent.

Shaurya
    HAL?

AS IN "HOME AUTOMATED LIVING"???

You really know how to make friends.

Leave a comment:

• HS with Whole House Audio and Mic with speaker switching

Hello All,

I am new to HS/Automation. I want to implement Whole house Audio with Open Air Microphone. I am inclining toward buying Russound A-Bus Whole House Audio (http://www.russound.com/abus.htm) and Integrate it with Open Air Mic design.

The missing piece in the puzzle that I am trying to understand is how do I make HAL control a pair of speakers so that HAL speaks only in the room from where voice comand is sent.

So far I have understood the Use of Ocelet and Relays but this audio system is A-Bus based and my speaker wires don't run to Aplifier in central location but to the Keypad in the room and keypad is connceted to the A-Bus Hub in the central location via Cat-5.

I am trying to not to go Russound CAV6.6 route as I am low on Budget. Any suggestions and design approach would be appreciated.

Shaurya
Working...
X