peaceful co-existance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

peaceful co-existance

I would like to have HS 1.7.41 and HS 2.0 on the same machine (Production system) I plan to do the following.

1.7.41 is already loaded and is in a directory Homeseer in Program Files.
    I plan to install a clean version of the latest build of Homeseer 2.0 in a directory named Homeseer2 in program files.

The two directories will be identical in construction/layout with the correct plugin versions and script versions for each system in the appropriate directory

I will have the register and unregsiter bat files located in both directories.

I will set up two bat files to be used to launch, one for homeseer, one for homeseer2.

***************Homeseer.bat**********************

@echo on
    cd "c:\program files\homeseer2"
    call unRegall.bat
    cd "c:\program files\homeseer"
    call unRegall.bat
    call regall.bat
    homeseer.exe
    exit

***************Homeseer2.bat**********************
    @echo on
    cd "c:\program files\homeseer"
    call unRegall.bat
    cd "c:\program files\homeseer2"
    call unRegall.bat
    call regall.bat
    homeseer.exe
    exit

The above appears to be working, except the bat file hangs around until Homeseer exits or I close the Dos window

Comments appreciated
    Last edited by Barry Gordon; June 12, 2005, 09:23 PM.

Barry, like you said, I think I would unregister both sets each time. Otherwise, if you startup the version that you just shut down, it would unregister the one that wasn't registered, and re-register the one that was already registered. I'm not sure, but it could cause duplicate entries.

Comment

I would suggest changing the .bat to .cmd, they process better under Windows.

Try changing your line to:

Start "Homeseer" /b "c:\pathtohs\homeseer.exe"

That should launch HS and let the command (Dos) box close.

Let me know how it works.

Comment

The change to the start command did work as you stated. thanks

I did not really see any difference in operation based upon the extension (bat or cmd)

Comment

Barry, You probably wouldn't notice any difference from the user perspective.

I'm probably wrong but I believe that .bat files are still passed to a dos style (16 bit) command interpreter for compatibiliy reasons first but .cmd files go straight to the cmd (32 bit) interpreter.

Comment

Glad to see that worked.

Cmd vs. bat

here is a little summary I found.

CMD.EXE passes all .BAT files to Windows NT's DOS command processor, typically COMMAND.COM, for execution (yes, there is a skeletal DOS command processor in Windows NT!). COMMAND.COM handles a few DOS-related commands, but passes most internal commands to a second copy of CMD.EXE so that they are executed in the Windows NT environment. This convoluted system allows you to load memory-resident DOS programs (TSRs), and run other programs which use them, all from the same .BAT file. However, it reduces performance for all .BAT files in order to support those rare files which load DOS TSRs under Windows NT.

Comment

Barry,
              Do you use the W800? If you do how are you using it with HS2.0?
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have one, but do not use it. I also have the MR26A and am not using that either. Sorry. After I get HS2.0 fully installed i may try it, but at the current time I do not use X10 RF.

Comment

Hi Barry,

Rupp pointed me to this topic as I am running V1 & 2 together and need to unregister one before running the other.

In your BAT file at the top you call "unregall.bat" and "regall.bat". Obviously those bat files do the business so to speak, but what command lines are they using. You couldn't post them could you; please.

I have HSP, DooMotion and Jason's Meteor running.
                  sigpic
                  A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Here are the two files. One copy goes in the homeseer1 directory and 1 copy in the homeseer2 directory. To run homeseer 2, you want to first unregister all the items in the homeseer1 directory (.../homeseer1/Unregall.bat) and then register all of the items in the homeseer 2 directory (.../homeseer2/regall.txt)

I think you get the idea.

PS the attachments are txt files, just change the extension to bat
                    Attached Files

Comment

many thanks for posting them Barry.
                      sigpic
                      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

I am looking to do this....I put both files in the HS1 & HS2 directory? Can the start up file run the register file and then the shutdown the unregister? So since I would not know how to do that I would just maneuver to the directory of HS that I do not want to run, run the unreg batch file and then maneuver to the HS directory I want to run and run the reg file. Sorry if these are stupid questions but I am hoping to get HS2 going with few to no problems.
                        John

Comment

If you want I will post the full copy and backup files I used to automatically switch between HS1 and HS2 being active in the directory Homeseer. I always ran Homeseer out of a directory called homeseer and used the HS1 and HS2 as the back and save points

Comment

I think I've seen that mentioned in another post of yours. The register - unregister batch file did not work out?
                            I don't recall how the backup file worked. I'm thinking something like putting both directories on a usb jump drive and load the one I want to use at the time. Im trying to keep my new install clean, so I don't think I want a single directory with unused files from HS1.7. Or am I being to picky?
                            John

Comment

No peace

I've installed 2.0 into the Homeseer2 directory but cannot get them to ignore one another. I've been using the bat files to unregister and register the directories but the only way I can switch back and forth is to do a repair from the control panel on the HS that I want to use. My plan was to build 2.0 from scratch to use better named devices and to clean up other areas. Maybe I would be better off just to convert the 1.7? How do I convert back to the 1.7 if it does not work out as planned. The netcaller Id and and pci phone are critical WAF considerations.
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X