winlogon error - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

winlogon error - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

Can anyone tell me what this might mean? I found it in the application event log, and my system rebooted right after. The MS site doesn't have any further info. Any ideas?

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Winlogon
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1015
    Date: 24/09/2004
    Time: 1:16:22 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: COTTAGE
    Description:
    A critical system process, C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe, failed with status code c0000005. The machine must now be restarted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Here's a bit of information:

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/pr...lsass.exe.html
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

sounds like I'm ok

thanks for the lead

Comment

You could have a virus. I've seen the error you're having come multiple times on machines that were infected with various items. You need to do two things. First would be run Windows update and make sure you're nice and patched. After doing that run a full virus scan. If you don't have software for that installed you can go to trendmicro.com and do an online scan there. Or, if you want to you can download Stinger (not sure the address, do a Google search for Stinger Antivirus and if I remember correctly it should be somewhere on nai.com) and that will search for the most popular virii.

Comment

thanks. I actually just completed a virus scan with stinger. As I got deeper into this, I found that both my Norton AV and my Sygate firewall had been disabled. Sounds dangerous to me! Stinger found Qhosts.spd and said that it repaired it, but still Norton won't run. I have reinstalled, tried deleting the registry items and reinstalled again, and still no luck.

I can't get Norton to reinstall and Sygate won't even try to install? Any direction on these would be appreciated....

Comment

Sounds like you've got some stuff on your system that Stinger can't detect. Do a scan at Trend Micro's site and it should pick up a bit more.
            Since the firewall AND antivirus are dead I would definitely take that as a bad sign. First thing is to do the Trend Micro scan. Try to reinstall Norton after that. I've seen cases where NAV won't install because some stuff has gotten very badly corrupted. Go through and do a search on your computer for anything involving Norton, Symantec, and possibly NAV and delete it (maybe not all the NAV stuff though). Do the same with the registry. Reboot and try to reinstall it again. It'll probably take you some time but it can be done and that's just about the only way you can get it reinstalled. Even if you uninstall NAV it'll usually leave quite a bit of stuff on your drive for you to manually clean it off.

Edited to add that you should also remove all the Live Update and registration stuff that are listed seperately in Add/Remove Programs. Good luck!

Comment

I had this and my machine would reboot after 60 seconds every time. I tried all kinds of things to get rid of it but with that 60 second countdown to reboot, I never got past it. Finally had to reinstall.

Comment

thanks all - this is proving to be quite a pest! It have gotten through the 60 second reboot...and stinger has found and repaired the infection. I hadn't previously applied SP2 so am working through that first. Once completed, I'll work through the rest.

A couple of interesting (?) notes; it disabled the Regedit command unless in safe mode. Even when regedits were done is safe mode, it wouldn't save them. Only through a methodical shutdown program did it save the registy edits.

Comment

WOW! What is the name of this virus? How is it being transported via email?
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

when I ran Stinger, it found one worm - called "Qhosts.apd". I don't know whether this is the culprit or not. When I read about the Sasser worm it sounds like that's what it is. It says it does not spread by email or any action, but exploits MS vulnerability.

Comment

Working...
                    X