Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS15A stick switch from X10.com

Hey all,

I received an SS15A stick-a-switch as part of a sale on remotes from X10.com.

When I press a button my log file shows nothing. Are these not compatible with a WS800?

I found a few search hits with conflicting results so I am confused. (Like that's never happened before.....)

Steve C.

Yes, I'm pretty sure.

Not to try to be very basic but

Do you see the red led light up on the switch when button pressed?

Do you have it setup to ignore certain house codes?

Comment

The lights flash when I push buttons.

I've tried a couple different house codes and get no response in the log at all.

I tried it sitting right next to my WS800, and then went upstairs and tried it on the mail floor under where my WS800 antenna is located in my attic (thinking it was a distance issue) and still nothing.

Are these supposed to work with a WS800?

Steve C.

Comment

See this thread and see if it sheds any light on the problem.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ighlight=SS15A
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I use a few SS13A stick a switch and the W800. I don't know what the difference is but I to get weird random lights that turn on for no reason. However I get log entrys and the lights do work. These things have very weak signal range and maybe part of the code doesn't get through all the time. I like them but wish the 800 could work better with them.

Comment

My experience with Stick-A-Switches is all bad. I don't even like the way they stick.

They should work with the W800RF32, when they work at all. But they suffer from three reliability issues that I am aware of:
            1) They use an LC oscillator, that can be far from the 310 MHz that the WF800RF32 receives. I've tried tuning them to 310MHz, but it's difficult, and they just drift out again.
            2) They have no real antenna, so their range is short and it doesn't transmit in all directions. I think they transmit best toward their sides, and transmit least front and back.
            3) Their battery holder is flimsy, and can have an intermittent connection to the battery. And, of course, when the battery looses contact, the switch reverts to House/Unit code A1.

The batteries do seem to last a while, but that may be because I don't use them.

Comment

I agree with Rocco completely.
              Great idea but bad implementation of the technology. Look around the web or on Usenet at comp.home.automation for instructions on how to stick a 10" - 11" piece of wire on the wall above the switch to increase its range.

Comment

I have been using mine for years now, without one single hiccup. I have used them with both the MR26A and the W800RFA, guess I am one of the few lucky ones
                HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                (aka xplosiv)
                Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Dan,
                  I use them as well and I have one that is on my deck 40 feet from my W800. Mine are all older so that my make a difference.
                  One thing I do not like about them is they look cheesy and I would never attempt to put one in the house on the wall with the wife around.

Comment

Do you have a plugin Transceiver ?
                    RR501
                    TM751

I would try setting it up next to the stick a switch.

This would help eliminate the w800

Comment

I am new to this forum and came from the ADI forum. Could someone post a link to the W800RFA, I keep reading about this product here and have no idea what it cost or looks like.

Thanks,
                      Neil

Comment

Welcome to the HS forum Neil. Here's an excellent site and person to buy from and you'll be hard pressed to beat his prices.

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/produ...&cat=10&page=1

Comment

I only use 2 of the stick-a-switches, but can confirm that they work fine with the W800. I think it's likely a range issue related to the stick-a-switch. I suspect that the W800 picks them up better than other devices (as it does with other RF devices).

Comment

I find these things to be highly variable in quality .... some work, some don't. So, when I REALLY want one, I wait for a 3/4/6 for one sale and stock up.

I've found about one out of four won't work for me, so I keep the battery and throw the dud switches out...

Comment

It was basically a freebie as part of a special they had running on remotes, so I'm not broken hearted if it doesn't work.

I had one spot in the basement where it would have been handy, but I don't think I'll put a lot of time into figuring out what's wrong.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Steve C.

Comment

Working...
                              X