Control IR and contact switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control IR and contact switches

OK, I've been trying to read up on the applied digital stuff (as they seem pretty popular) and I think I've got some idea of what I need but want to ask for confirmation .

Two things I'm looking to do. One is control multizone IR disribution and the other is read if doors are open (using simple wired contact switches).

The first piece I'm thinking I need is an Ocelot. This will be the point of control for the rest of the stuff.

Next would be the SECU-16IR. This would be controlled by the Ocelot and would handle the zoned IR distribution.

Last would be the SECU-16. This would again be controlled by the Ocelot and some of the 8 inputs here would be connected to the wired contact switches to read thier status.

Does this all sound like it would work? Can the Ocelot control at least two of these add-on modules and still be able to relay to HS the specific input/output info of each device? On the SECU-16 what would be a use for the 8 outputs? I'm thinking I'm probably just missing what the outputs would be used for right now If these outputs wouldn't have much use maybe I'd go for the SECU-16I for a few extra inputs (though I cannot imagine needing them).

Any thoughts? Hope I'm not a complete idiot and got this completely wrong

Originally posted by CaymanIslandCarpediem

Does this all sound like it would work? Can the Ocelot control at least two of these add-on modules and still be able to relay to HS the specific input/output info of each device? On the SECU-16 what would be a use for the 8 outputs? I'm thinking I'm probably just missing what the outputs would be used for right now If these outputs wouldn't have much use maybe I'd go for the SECU-16I for a few extra inputs (though I cannot imagine needing them).

Any thoughts? Hope I'm not a complete idiot and got this completely wrong
    ]

You have hit the nail on the head. These three items are exactly what you want and these are the three I have for this same purpose. Automatedoutlet.com has the best prices on these units as well. You will need to get a 23v 1000ma PS for this stuff and then you can power the other 2 units directly from the Ocelot. This PS will provide you about 500ma of overhead if you decide to add 1 wire temp or Bobcats into the mix as well.
    I use my SECU16 to monitor a garage contact and 6 interior doors that are not wired to my Caddx alarm panel. I have voice control in my setup and I send a voice message everytime one of these basement doors is opened by the kids so I can tell if they are into something. I am only using 2 of the outputs right now. One controls my garage door and the other controls a 12v fan I have mounted in my server cabinet that comes on at 87 degrees. You could always add the 16I if the need arose so I would get the SECU-16 first for sure. The relays will come in handy.

Comment

The outputs can be used for all kinds of things. Just think of them as an electronic switch that HS can turn on/off. Here are a few things that come to mind, some may require an external relay depending on voltage & current:
      • Garage door opener as Kevin mentioned
      • Door locks
      • Irregation valves
      • Switch speakers on/off
      • Control other gear that can be triggered by contact closure such as audio & video recording gear, etc.
      I'm sure that others can easily add to the list... I think once you have them, you will dream up uses to put them into service.

Paul

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
      Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! That makes me feel much more confident about buying these ;-)

Originally posted by kevingib
        ]

You will need to get a 23v 1000ma PS for this stuff and then you can power the other 2 units directly from the Ocelot. This PS will provide you about 500ma of overhead if you decide to add 1 wire temp or Bobcats into the mix as well.
        Kevin, I'm feeling a bit thick ;-) What is this? Is this saying I need a 23 volt 1 amp power supply for the Ocelot? I was just checking the Ocelot website and it says the Ocelot uses 12 volt 200 milliamp power. Is it OK, to actually use this larger power supply? Where can I get one of these?

Thanks!

Comment

Typo -- It should have been 12v 1000ma or 12v 1A supply -- sorry The Ocelot is 200ma the SECU16IR is 200ma and the SECu16 is 150ma. Each Bobcat draws like 30ma. So 1000 gives you plenty of overhead.Paul -- I need to hang out with you more. I had not thought about the speaker switch idea. I have Russound Abus stuff installed throughout the house so I think I will pull these cables thru the SECU16 relays before I send them to the Russound board. this will allow speaker control which will be great As soon as I get teh RFID stuff I wil be able to produce sound only based on location ---- Awesome. This should greatly improve WAF as it wont disturb her while she is resting.

Comment

OK that explains it, thanks Kevin!

Paul, thanks for the ideas! I've been planning on electric door locks, but hadn't thought it all through yet ;-) Sounds like SECU-16 is certainly the way to go ;-)

THANKS ALL!!!!!

Comment

A cheaper solution that I went with is the USB-UIRT and DS10A's using the W800RF32A Transceiver. Just another option to look at.

Comment

Yeah, I'd looked at the USB-UIRT a very little. Does that actaully support zoned IR? I'll need to send specific IR signals to at least 4 seperate zones.

Price isn't too important. The cost just to get stuff shipped down to the Cayman Islands almost makes the purchase price irrelevant ;-) Most thigs of any size/weight will cost at LEAST around $100 just for shipping so I'd rather get the best stuff I can instead of regretting it later and reordering and again paying the shipping :-(

I'll look into those though. Do you have any links to those products?

Comment

I looked at the USBUIRT myself but I believe to use it you would need a bunch of repeaters setup throughout the house and if you had 2 devices that were the same (Satelitte boxes) it would not be able to tell them apart. I guess in a nutshell the answer is it doesn't do actual zones.

If $$$ isn't driving a decsion go teh Applied Digital route - you wont be sorry. I actually went thru 3 different controlers before I bought my Ocelot -- I guess that was the same with HS. I used 2 other products before HS but now I am hooked and loving life.

Comment

I was under the impression the USBUIRT is capable of three zones. Two on the stereo jack and one internal blaster. I am using it with 2 zones at the moment.

Dale

Comment

Working...
                    X