wanting to setup my own Dynamic DNS for my site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wanting to setup my own Dynamic DNS for my site

I currently use DNS2Go service to allow me to use the following "link" in my HS links.htm file. It gives me a route to my site which uses a dialup access and dynamic IP address.

I want to avoid using the DNS2GO service. I have a script that recognizes any change to my IP address, and uploads it to my webspace on my ISP.

I want to know how to change the link shown below to pickup the IP address from my website. In other words, I want the link to replace the www.myname.dns2go.com with the current IP address.

<a href="<A href="http://www.myname.dns2go.com:8080/stat">link to site">http://www.myname.dns2go.com:8080/stat">link to site Status</a>

Any ideas?

Jeff,
    You would need to change that links.htm file to point to a links.asp page so you could dynamically change the ipaddress.
    The links.htm would need to look something like:
    PHP Code:
    <HTML>
    <
    BODY>
      <
    SCRIPT language="Javascript" src="/links.asp"></SCRIPT>
    </
    BODY>
    </
    HTML
    Then in the links.asp file you can use vbscript. Like if you post your ipaddress to a Virtual device you can read that virtual device and populate the ipaddress of all links.

Make since?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Jeff,

Have you seen my IPUpdate script http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=102644. You can easily get it to update links.htm automatically with the embedded IP address every time your IP changes.
      Jon

Comment

Thanks,
        Rupp - I have used that approach to provide direction locally.

Jon00 - I have something close to your script, although your's looks to be superior.

I don't think either solution provides exactly what I was looking for - although I'm having trouble getting my head around this - so I may not appreciate how to do it. There are 2 things I would need to accomplish. Consider that I have 2 locations and that I want to provide access similar to what DNS2GO provides.

1) access to location 1 from location 2. Location 1 can post it's IP address to an ISP-hosted website. Access from location 2 could be derived from resolving the IP address through accessing the ISP-hosted redirection. Is there a way to dynamically access location 1's IP address utilizing location 2's links.htm file?

2) access to location from unknown locations (e.g. friends in unknown, and multipe locations). This could be derived by accessing the ISP-hosted website.

How's this sound?

Comment

Jeff,

I am entertaining at the moment - I'll come back to you in a few hours on this...need to get my head around this as well!
          Jon

Comment

Jeff,

I think my script can do what you want with a little modification. Rather than getting the ISP from showmyip.com, we need to get it from your ISP which has been posted by location 1. Then the script will do it's work with inserting the IP address in the links.htm at location 2 (running homeseer).

If you are willing to email me the address of where location 1 sends it's IP address to, I'll modify the script to parse this. Will have to be tomorrow though.

Must go...
            Jon

Comment

Thanks Jon, you should get back to your entertaining! I haven't written the code to post the IP to the ISP, but that part isn't a problem for me. I have it doing something similar right now but would have to modify it. I was envisioning just putting the IP address in a file and FTPing up.

Would what you envisioning be dynamic? In other words, would it resolve the IP address for location 1 only when using the links.htm file? (this sounds like what Rupp was suggesting in using an ASP... where it would fetch the IP address from the ISP file).

Comment

Jeff,

This is what I see you are trying to achieve:

Location 1 has the ability to upload its dynamic IP address to your ISP web space.

Anyone with the correct web address, accessing your ISP web space can access location 1 because the IP has been FTP'd to it.

Location 2 running Homeseer would like to know what the IP address of Location 1 is and automatically update the links.htm whenever Location 1 IP address changes.

Is that correct?

If it is then you need Location 2 running Homeseer to check your ISP web space to see if the IP address has changed (as uploaded by location 1). My script could be modified to check your ISP and parse the IP address posted to your ISP web site (hopefully sent as a html page). If it detects a change of IP address there, then it can easily be configured to insert the new IP address in the links.htm file automatically.

If Location 1 is also running Homeseer, then the script can be used to upload (ftp) the dynamic IP address checked from ShowmyIP.com. This can be sent as a web page or web pages (no limit) of any design and complexity to your ISP.

If Location 1 is not running Homeseer, there is a small VB program that does this task as well (upload the IP address as a web page when change detected).
                Jon

Comment

Jon00, you are correct. I have a program that loads the IP address up to my ISP....so it's just parsing that and inserting that into the links file that I need to do. Can it do this dynamically on the fly? I don't want it to have to check every 5 minutes to check, I'd rather only do it when required.

Comment

Jeff,

Homeseer needs to know when the IP address has changed. Unless you can push this information from Location 1 via something like email notification to fire a script , I cannot see another method without regular checking.

If you are worried about HS resources, you can always convert the script to VBS to run as a separate thread which will do the checking.
                    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by JeffCharger
                      Jon00, you are correct. I have a program that loads the IP address up to my ISP....
                      Jeff,

Would you mind sharing your code (script?) which fetches your dynamic IP address and then posts/FTPs it to your ISP hosted website? Do you do this periodically, or do you detect when your dynamic IP changes and then post an update?

Thanks,
                      Don

Comment

Don,

Did you want a Homeseer script to do this? If so I posted my implementation in the scripts library - see earlier up this thread (#3).
                        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00
                          Don,

Did you want a Homeseer script to do this? If so I posted my implementation in the scripts library - see earlier up this thread (#3).
                          Ooops, I missed your post. A script is exactly what I wanted.

Thanks!
                          Don

Comment

Working...
                          X