X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnwpb
    replied
    Another Watchdog...

As my work hours very GREATLY, having speech output rely on the time of day just was not working for me. I have a similar watchdog in my startup script, and most other scripts that speak as well. It is based on a virtual device of either "awake" or "asleep". This virtual device is set every night with my good night routine, and again with my wakeup routine.

In scripts I simply use:

If DeviceString("v21") <> to "asleep" then hs.speak "whatever your script says here".

Just about the only script that I will allow to speak whenever, is my caller ID script. If figgure the phone ringing will wake me up anyways, so I have HS announce the caller no matter what time it is and I can determine if I need to answer it or not. I had the ringers turn off at one time and HS set to silent during sleep time, untill a VERY important call came in at 2am one time and I didnt receive it. The way i look at it is, if someone calls at 2am, it must (Or certainly BETTER) be important

Leave a comment:

• tman1
    replied
    It was, Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• jon00
    replied
    Originally posted by anogee
    My favorite is when XP reboots because of an update at 3am and HomeSeer comes on my house speakers saying its now up and running.
    I don't allow automatic updates but I do have a watchdog that can kick in at any time. To stop the "Welcome to Homeseer" during the night, I just modified the start-up script:

tCurrentTime = TimeValue(FormatDateTime(Now,3))
    tStartTime = TimeValue("07:00")
    tEndTime = TimeValue("23:45")
    If (tCurrentTime > tStartTime and tCurrentTime < tEndTime) then
    hs.speak "Welcome to Home-Seer"
    end if

May be useful for someone.

Leave a comment:

• wirebook
    Guest replied
    You can very easily configure Automatic Updates to not reboot until you tell it too; simply follow the below as you fit:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;306525

Also, the more simplified Q article with the How-to on simply prompting you prior to download:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283629/

Leave a comment:

• kevingib
    Guest replied
    smoothtlk,
    It is an honor to get to give back after your recent assistance as I moved into Main Lobby.
    The event logs for the system will show you the update info as well as the reboot and restart times when the PC booted following the update process. This would of course be outside HS but you could create a .vbs script that would monitor the event log for the reboot event id and then write that data to a txt file that a HS script could then monitor and report in HS.
    The DL directory would change size states and again a vbs script could right that result to the txt file that HS monitors via a script. There is no corolation between the HS API and the MS Kernel API so HS would be blind to all OS activities and would need a little help from a true vbs script.
    Finally there is not a method to have HS sniff MS for updates EXCEPT to subscribe to the MS Secuirty bulletins. They send out advance notification between 4-7 days before an update that explains what , why and when. You could use HS to monitor your inbox for this address and when the email arrives set up an event to alert you that a update is pending. On the update day (2nd Tuesday of Each Month) MS releases around 12 EST so you could manually update and reboot at that time.
    Hope this info helps.

Leave a comment:

• smoothtlk
    Guest replied
    That actually brings up a good point - with Auto Updates turned fully on the PC could reboot all by itself. Maybe this answers why I see that my PC sometimes rebooted and nothing shows up in the HS log? Is there a way to track this in the log? ie: if Homeseer is sent a "immediate ShutDown" request outside of Homeseer - can that be logged in Homeseer?

If MS Updater is set to only download the update files, but not to install - is there a way to "sniff" the download directory to see if files are present and then to have Homeseer tell you that there are Updates to install and maybe allow Homeseer to schedule the install? Is there an external trigger that Microsoft provides to start the install process?

Or, if Microsoft Updater is set to total manual - can Homeseer schedule and report on update availability?

Do we have a MS Updater maven in the group?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by anogee
    My favorite is when XP reboots because of an update at 3am and HomeSeer comes on my house speakers saying its now up and running.
    Yea, That will get U a -1 WAF factor

22v10

Leave a comment:

• anogee
    Guest replied

Leave a comment:

• JeffCharger
    started a topic MS XP updates!

MS XP updates!

How can anyone set a record uptime with all the frequent MS updates! Geesh!
Working...
X