reformatting drive problem - need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reformatting drive problem - need some help

I am trying to reformat my drive so that I can reload HS. When I try to "format c:" I receive a message "Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Convert may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? <Y/N>"

When I say "Y" it says "Cannot unlock the drive. It is still in use."

I suspect that this is caused by a worm that I have contracted and is doing some wild things - hence the format.

How can I force the format?

Jeff,

Are you starting the pc with the restore disks in? If you do that, it will usually just ask if you want to reformat.

Comment

I didn't have any discs in. I just entered "format c:" at the command prompt.

Comment

What operating system will you be installing? You can boot with the OS insatllation CD and choose to delete, re-make and format the system partition during the installation. Trying "FORMAT C:" is like telling the computer to commit suicide. It doesn't want to.

Comment

thanks. I didn't know whether loading the OS without cleaning the disk would remove any of the 'problems' that I have encountered. I have tried it, and it looks like it's cleared it completely, so that's good. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X