Wireless distance needs help (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless distance needs help (again)

Guys I have a DLink 713P 80211B wireless router and it has 2 stub antennas on it. I want to buy something like this antenna to try to increase my range. My question is I have 2 antennas and this is obviously a single antenna. So would this work with my router and if it will, do I leave the left over antenna in place or remove it? TIA
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Does the router have a setup feature for diversity reception? That probably is what utilizes the pair of antennas. You might be able to cut that off, and figure out which one remains active.

I saw a antenna upgrade kit for Linksys products that had two taller antennas. If the connectors are the same, you might be able to use that.

I wouldn't remove the left over antenna.

Ed

Comment

Ed,
      I saw those antennas today but they were $69. If I'm going that route I will just by another router.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Linksys uses a different connector.

Rupp... You can deselect diversity if you desire in the config. Once deselected, you can use a single antenna. Even if you can't deselect it, you can still use only 1 antenna. Using both won't hurt either. Any antenna worth it is gonna be "not cheap". I get all my wireless antennas from www.fab-corp.com .

As I've said before, I have my wireless running about 600 feet through dense woods with no problems. (No line of sight)....I use 2 24 db dishes. ERP about 4 watts. Who says brute force doesnt help!

Comment

Check the site below for some easy to make simple directional antennas that might do the job with out spending $$$. I made a parabolic one for war driving and it works pretty well for connecting to distant access points.

http://www.freeantennas.com/
          Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Same here. (RE; Ski's post above) I can drive around my tree-laden neighborhood with my laptop and surf using FAB's 15.4 DBm colinear omni.
            I left diversity on. The ant is mounted on the roof of my barn and my office is below. I left the rubber ducky on for coverage downstairs. These colinears have a 5 degree down angle so I just tilted the ducky down since the colinear would broadcast above the laptop.

Comment

I also have some antennas (mag mount omni and a outdoor Yagi) from Fab-Corp and find them to be excellent. It's not cheap though, and I've not had to use them at home for coverage around my house.

I have the MAXRAD WISP Series 15 dBi Yagi and found it excellent for long distance and a fairly narrow beam.

Ed

Comment

I've used a 12dBi omni for WiFi. It's expensive and about 4 ft long. Doughnut pattern. Also used the diversity patch 8dB antennas to fix a too marginal link. These have about 60deg pattern.

Those $70 5dBi antennas in retail are a ripoff. Lots of better sources. One I have used is
                http://www.teletronics.com/antennas.html

for various antennas and bi-directional amplifiers.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ed Griffin:
                  I also have some antennas (mag mount omni and a outdoor Yagi) from Fab-Corp and find them to be excellent. It's not cheap though, and I've not had to use them at home for coverage around my house.

I have the MAXRAD WISP Series 15 dBi Yagi and found it excellent for long distance and a fairly narrow beam.

Ed <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The beam on my dish is so narrow, it's like shining a flashlight!

Comment

Working...
                  X