Off Topic? A little hurricane help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off Topic? A little hurricane help.

Having been through two hurricanes here, and having gone over two weeks total without power (HA doesn't work well w/o power), my best wishes to all those in The FL panhandle through New Orleans.

Some power companies along the gulf estimate 3 weeks to restore power after this storm hits.

The current track is on the AL MS border then tracking through AL.

Things I have learned:

1. Fill up bathtub for water to flush toilets.

2. Buy a generator - BUT - MAYBE after the storm. FEMA reimbursed me for the entire cost of the generator and some fuel - and I haven't filled out a form yet. Purchase date seems to be a key issue - if you purchase it before any outage will they pay? I don't know, but it doesn't sound like that would be storm damage. I would still get one. Find out NOW where the smaller distributors are - the big stores won't have any.

3. Buy a small window air conditioner. They are cheap ~$70 and give you a place to sleep.

4. Buy a plug for the generator if you can. Most seem to take a NEMA 14-30. You will need some three conductor 10 guage wire. This will allow you to run a water heater etc. FL is completely out of stock on both those items.

5. Buy all the gas and gas cans you can.

6. Land line phones seem to work for 8 hours after the power outage. Then it takes them several days to bring their generators in.

And of course, follow all the other advice of the authorites.

My prayers are with all of you.

GLT

7. Find out which radio stations are broadcasting your local TV station simultaneously. You might loose your cable or satellite.

Marty

Comment

Move to Kansas - we don't have hurricanes
      Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bruce:

Move to Kansas - we don't have hurricanes <HR>
        Then maybe it's time to start the tornado thread?
        Last edited by ; November 8, 2004, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Being without power here in West Palm Beach for a week (and we were lucky) will definately teach you a few things! I have friends that STILL do not have power just 10 miles away from me. They have certainly been visiting a lot more than usual lately

- If you cant afford/dont want to purchase a generator, a couple car batteries will come in handy! I purchased 2 before the storm. One provided enough power for the week to run my portable TV and recharge the cell phones. The second, I rigged to a lamp in the living room. I purchased a 12v "mechanics light" bulb. They have the same base as a standard bulb socket. Just a matter of rigging the plug on the lamp to the battery. The batteries, At around $35 a pop, well worth the price. They can easily be recharged with a set of jumper cables with your car.

- Stock up on Calum sticks! They provide enough light to light up a room to a decent level. Each night I would "crack one open" and place one in each room. They will last a good 5-8 hours.

- Get the best styrofoam cooler you can, and load it up with ice. NOT the cheap $1.99 7-11 one's, but the kind like Ohaha steaks come in, the thicker walled, the better. I wrapped it up in beach towels for even more insulation. This kept ice for us for the entire week.

- In a pinch, I also found the 12v battery in the alarm panel is also great for recharging/using the cellphones.

- If you don't own a grill, Get one! This was the only source we had for cooking / heating up canned goods for the week. Many area's turn off gas lines as well, so do not rely on that.

- As mentioned above, Fill everything that you can with gas! 2 weeks after the storm here, it was still VERY difficult to find gas.

My thoughts and prayers are definately going out to the people in the path of this storm.
          Visit My Home Seer Site at:
          www.JohnWPB.com
          Created with LCARS

Comment

From Maine - 12 days without power during January 1998 Ice Storm -

If you're near fishing ports get dry ice it lasts longer and is colder.

Small inverters (300W or less) are cheap enough and hookup easily to car battery for AC power for lamps, tv, laptop, fan.

Battery powered flourescent lights illuminate a bigger area than regular flashlights and last longer.

Fill up everything you can think of with water. Kids wading pools; 5 gallon buckets, etc. You can flush the toilet by pouring water right in the bowl.

Good luck to all in harm's way.

Comment

I agree,

I use a power inverter ( not small though ).

It's a 12 volt 2000 watt inverter 4000 watts peak, it was pretty cheap in the scheme of things.

I use it mainly as a ups for all my equipment, connected to 2 cheap car batteries for backup.
              but if the power goes out i can run jumper cables to my car and power my fridge and a couple of other things.
              As long as my car has gas

StevenE
              Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

Working...
              X