HomeSeer hide & seek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer hide & seek

Sometimes when Homeseer is loaded from start up I don’t get an icon on the task bar.
    The program is running OK but I can’t access it
    If I try to start it a message say it is already running.
    Any ideas please
    David

It runs in the system tray - just double-click the icon in the system tray and it will maximize...
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

David,
      Are you sure it actually shutting down from the previous reboot or PC shutdown? The next time you shut down HS look in the task manager and see if the HomeSeer.exe is still listed as a process. If it's not shutting down correctly the I would start unloading your plugins because more than likely one of these is causing the lockup.
      πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

I had this problem when I first installed 1.6 under WinME. HomeSeer would start normally, but with no icon in the system tray. So I could only access it through the web browser. I found a few threads on this board with the same problem, but with no resolution. It mysteriously resolved itself after only a few days. I had no plug-ins at the time.

Comment

Thanks Rupp
          Now you have said that I realise it only dose it after a power failure
          The only way to get to Homeseer is to do a reboot
          David
          ps Iam running XP

Comment

I have had this problem MANY times. Whenever the windows explorer crashes, 90% of the time it take most of what is in the system tray with it. This happens to me quite frequently with XP. You can sometimes do the 3 finger stretch, end HS, and re-launch it. This will make it visable in the tray again. All of the other programs I have that run in the tray, I just re-launch them, and being it is already running, The software is smart enough to know to just maximize itself. This holds true for all my other tray programs, email, IM programs, System monitirs ect. I sure wish HS would do this instead of telling me its already running! I am fairly inteligent, and I sure do not need the da/\/\ /\/ computer telling me that it's running already!!!! Sorry to rant, but this has frustrated me for a LONG time now.
            Visit My Home Seer Site at:
            www.JohnWPB.com
            Created with LCARS

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JohnWPB:
              You can sometimes do the 3 finger stretch, end HS, and re-launch it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John
              The problem is that HS is not listed in Windows Task Manager so I can’t close HS to restart it.
              I have to do a reboot or can it be done another way?
              Have we exposed a serious bug in HS or can it be fixed
              David
              PS I think HS is a brilliant program

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HardwareHacker:
                The problem is that HS is not listed in Windows Task Manager so I can’t close HS to restart it.
                <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that is very strange indeed. Did you check under "Applications" and "Processes"? When windows explorers crashes, I can see it under both tabs. Below is a screen cap of how HS shows up under both tabs for me. If it is actually running I am almost positive that it MUST be listed under "Processes".
                Attached Files
                www.JohnWPB.com
                Created with LCARS

Comment

It is not in applications
                  I haven’t looked under processes
                  I will next time
                  I don’t want to crash the pc deliberately
                  so it may be some time
                  David

Comment

What also sometimes happens is that the location values in the INI file are corrupted, or perhaps (as I did once) I had HomeSeer on one of my two monitors and then copied the INI file to a test machine that did not have two monitors, so HomeSeer obediantly displayed in the location it was told which was the geometry of the monitor the test system did not have!

Thus, in the settings.ini file, look for these entries:

splittertop=8535
                    MainLeft=1860
                    MainTop=2100
                    MainWidth=16890
                    MainHeight=12180

The first determines where the horizontal splitter bar between devices and events that control them, etc. goes, and the other 4 are the location and size of the main window. You can manually edit these and restart HomeSeer.
                    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

I too found the same problem under XP Pro. If Explorer crashes, once the desktop is restored the task bar won't show the running HS. What I did (and it might work for you) is to ALT-TAB through the running programs (hold down the ALT key and press TAB). I was able to get the HS GUI to restore that way and then just minimized.

Chuck

Comment

Thanks Chuck
                        Will give it a go
                        David

Comment

The Alt-Tab was always the forst thing I tried. Never worked for me. Rich, Rick...: Is there a way to have HS just maximize when clicked to run, instead of telling you that it is already running. I mean, if it wasnt running in the first place, then you must be clicking it to start it. If it is running, and you click it, you must want to see it. I see no need then for it telling you that it is already running, just dosent make sence really. As mentioned earlier, all of my other stuff that runs in the tray (email, IM's, Virus protection, password loggers ect...) ALL just maximize when I try to run them again. I can then recover all of them except HS just by "re-launching" the program, and minimizing it again.

I KNOW this is a windows problem, and not HS's fault for the tray crashing. It just seems the other software vendors are aware of it and have a "workaround"
                          www.JohnWPB.com
                          Created with LCARS

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JohnWPB:
                            I KNOW this is a windows problem, and not HS's fault for the tray crashing. It just seems the other software vendors are aware of it and have a "workaround" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on HS please sort it out
                            I have supported you by purchasing your software
                            Please support me in return
                            If I’m being unreasonable please tell me why
                            David

Comment

David,
                              What are you asking HS to do?
                              πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

Working...
                              X