Insteon Smarthome PowerLinc v2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cadillackid
    currently I have a plugin coupler that smart hone sells plugged into my 220 volt dryer outlet, no repeater other than a boosterlinc plugin device.
    -Christopher
    Before I would move all of those circuits I would recommend investing in a true coupler/repeater that installs at the circuit box. I have seen countless users buy the plugin coupler/repeaters believing these would solve their problems when in reality they, more often than not, do nothing to improve the signal. I use the Levition C/R and I have no problems controlling all X10 devices in my ~2700 square ft house as well as outside devices via extension cords.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

hey if you recommend it ill order it, is the leviton DHC that martin sells the one that you use? if so ill place an order for it today
      -Christopher
      PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Originally posted by AccessX10
        I was just reading back through this post and wondered what type of "wiring" issues you currently have?

It's important to note that INSTEON uses PLC for its switches, lamp modules, and wired controllers. It's my understanding that the RF is only used for linking phases and increasing signal reliability. Of course, it will eventually support wireless devices like remotes and motion sensors as well.
        So for example, a command sent from a PowerLinc V2 to a SwitchLinc V2 would take place over PLC and not RF through a SignalLinc? In an example where you have LampLincs, SwitchLincs, ControlLincs and a PowerLincv2, what would be the purpose of have Insteon in the first place if the command was going via PLC? It is possible that I am completely misreading it or have misunderstood your post, but part of the spec is that every Insteon enabled device is a repeater and will relay the RF signal.

Sorry if I misunderstood what you said.

Comment

Originally posted by jlegan
          So for example, a command sent from a PowerLinc V2 to a SwitchLinc V2 would take place over PLC and not RF through a SignalLinc? In an example where you have LampLincs, SwitchLincs, ControlLincs and a PowerLincv2, what would be the purpose of have Insteon in the first place if the command was going via PLC? It is possible that I am completely misreading it or have misunderstood your post, but part of the spec is that every Insteon enabled device is a repeater and will relay the RF signal.

Sorry if I misunderstood what you said.
          The RF of INSTEON (at present time) is used to jump the phases. In your example, a command sent from a PowerLinc V2 that is intended to reach a SwitchLinc V2 will go out of the PowerLinc via the powerline, then every module it hits along the way will echo/relay the command on the powerline, when it hits a SignaLinc V2 the command will be echoed/relayed on both the powerline and the RF. This allows it to jump the phases of the electrical panel at a much quicker speed.

The Pod

Comment

To further test my understanding...

If I have a lot of line noise that no amount of FilterLincing has resolved and a PowerLinc v2 sends a signal that reaches a SignaLinc, will that signal (now RF) reach a SwitchLinc v2? Or is the SwitchLinc V2 still looking for a PLC?

More or less, will a device that is PLC only today / fails to receive a signal be able to receive / operate on RF only?

IE....

PowerLinc V2 -----PLC----> SignalLinc -----PLC/RF---->LampLinc V2

If the LampLinc V2 ***ONLY*** received the RF, would the above example work? The same question could be posed this way.

If in the above example, the LampLinc V2 is plugged into a power supply independant of the houses wiring but still with range, would it work when it received the RF signal.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Of the currently available Insteon products, the only thing that does ANYTHING with RF is the SignaLink (for the purpose of jumping phases). Therefore, other than MAYBE jumping phases via RF, the signal route/path from a PowerLinc to a LampLinc is the same for v1 (x-10 PLC style) or v2 (Insteon and/or X-10 PLC style). My understanding is that the RF part of Insteon is for future expansion and to enable wireless devices like motion detectors, keyfobs & other remote controls. I am not aware of any plans to add RF capability to things like LampLincs.

Comment

Ok, so I am really not going to see an improvement in performance, save possibly an increased response time?

I currently run an antenna to an older PowerLinc that I can control my house with from 8 houses away, so motion detectors and keyfabs down the road will not improve my experience. I think I need to get a signal strength monitor and just start testing and implementing more and more Filter / BoosterLincs.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

The LampLinc V2 DOES NOT receive any RF signals. The only RF currently used is between the SignaLinc RF coupler devices. They, in turn, will send out an Insteon PLC signal to the other modules.
                  Martin Custer

Comment

Working...
                  X