Home Seer with Dial Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Seer with Dial Up

My weekend house is in a remote location with no high speed access, so I use DNS to go to establish a connection at conventient times to change parameters and send status update e-mails to myself during the week. Strangely, recently the e-mails routinely stop and DNS to go is not able to dial up because some other applications on my computer are trying to access the dial up connection. I return for the weekend to find the screen hung up on waiting for somebody to enter a password to access the dial up connection. Things had worked great for a long time and now they don't. I have been unable to determine which application is trying to access the internet. When I leave the house on Sunday I leave only Homeseer and Outlook express running, but clearly there is something running in the background that is causing problems. I have turned off automatic updates for Windows (I run it manually each weekend). I have Norton Antivirus installed but have disabled Live Updates and run it manually on the weekends.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

S. Garman

Are you sure Microsoft automatic updates are off? I try to keep automatic updates off, but often, after I've done a manual update, it's back on. I only find this out when I see the "Windows Update Agent"/"Software Sync" error in the window's System Event log.

Comment

There are some options that are enabled when you select your dialup folder and I seem to remember one of the options to dial up with out user interaction. Anyone else remember this?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I had the same problem and found the culprit to be internet explorer. Check your settings in Tools>Internet Options>Connections, and set it up to "Never to dial". This might be it.

Comment

Ah ha. It could be one of those adware "things" automatically popping up an IE window which in turn causes IE to attempt to dial up. I just helped a friend who aquired one of the ad virus's that would pop-up a web page at all hours of the night and it play really loud music.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
          X