Domain Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Domain Names

I am looking at getting my own domain. I was wanting to hear from those that have one already who they go through for their account. And if there are any that will serve DDNS.

Well, livign in the Cayman Islands (.ky) I have to go through a government agency to get the .ky domain I wanted (good thing is they are all free) but I use no-ip.com to host my DNS. Whenever my dynamic IP changes they automatically update the records so requests get routed to my new IP address.

Comment

I use godaddy.com and no-ip.com. I used dyndns.org in the past too. All are good.

Comment

I use Network Solutions

I've been impressed with their addons (Frontpage extensions, mysql etc)

Comment

I use TZO to host my domain name (the-gordons.net), act as registrar, provide dynamic DNS and forward all email to my real email account with my ISP

Comment

I second the godaddy and dyndns - been with them both for a few years. Plus godaddy has "sexy" comercials during the superbowl!

Comment

I recommend Network Solutions (www.netsol.com) for domain name registration and Aplus.net (www.aplus.net) for web hosting.

Comment

Readyhosting.com provides excellent service for domain name registration and web hosting among other things.

I selected them after reading a couple of online reviews that compared user surveys among many web hosting services. Their web hosting user tools are a terrific plus that I did not anticipate (reports, utilities, etc.)

Comment

I've been using iPowerWeb for about 8 months and have had a good experience. Lots of services included that I'll never use. I did have a small email problem once, but their tech support was on the ball and got it cleared up within an hour.

Matt

Comment

I recommend GoDaddy.com for domain registration. Dont pick any of the other offerings and you can get a domain for about $8 a year. Then if you dont want to connect to Homeseer at your house, you can host at totalchoicehosting.com. They have very inexpensive rates and are backed up by datacenters around the united states. I have a Reseller account, so I pay for the storage and bandwidth, and I can make as many sites as I want, as long as they all dont go over the limit, combined. I pay something like $20 a month for that. BUT, the general one site and one site only is about $5 a month.
                    A computer's attention span is as long
                    as it's powercord.

Comment

I would also recomend godaddy to purchase a name. But I use zoneedit.com for my DNS service. It's free and they have apps that will sync IP changes with there system. I have used this setup for several years with no problems.

Comment

I use GoDaddy now as well, it doesn't make sense to pay $35/year without getting anything extra besides louzy customer service (IMO of course). I use ZoneEdit as well, you can't beat the price, and the service is pretty flexible. If your IP does change a lot, the NO-IP service seems to be pretty popular. There is even a How-To with screenshots on CocoonTech.
                        HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                        (aka xplosiv)
                        Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

I went the GoDaddy/ZoneEdit route. For those that are using the email options, is there a way to set it up so that outgoing mail is from my address thru my domain instead of my ISP?

Comment

I just use different profiles in Outlook/Thunderbird to select what domain I want to 'display' as the return address. Unless your ISP restricts outgoing mail, it shouldn't be a problem.
                            HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                            (aka xplosiv)
                            Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Gordon
                              I use TZO to host my domain name (the-gordons.net), act as registrar, provide dynamic DNS and forward all email to my real email account with my ISP
                              I use TZO for DDNS, and Network Solutions for registration.

Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X