Looking for power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for power supply

I am looking for a power supply that can supply multiple 9-15v outputs, to replace wall warts. I thought I saw a circuit board somewhere a few weeks ago, on one of the forums, that had multiple 12V outputs. Does anyone know of such a product?

Thanks,
    Dennis

Any 9 - 15 volt power supply with enough output current to supply your loads will do. 'Multiple outputs' are just multiple loads connected in parallel.

Comment

Dennis,

Take a look at www.altronix.com

Altronix makes some really nice power supplies for alarm, security & fire stuff. Most can be changed with a jumper to provide 12v or 24v DC. Some can even provide AC voltages as well. Another nice feature is that most have provision to connect batteries so they act as their own UPS.

Check Ebay as they often have good deals that include the wall mount box and even fused distribution blocks to help wire all your stuff.

Paul

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
      Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

Several years ago I bought a hefty 12V regulated power supply at Radio Shack. I have several voltage regulators (you can find 3 pin regulators with internal zener references for most "popular" voltages.)

Don't ask me for liks right now, it's a bit too difficult for me at the momnt. But it's not really hard to do. The power supply has more than enough power to run everything, including my Ocelot.

Comment

Here is a couple

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...284&type=store

And in case you don't like an open power supply

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...125&type=store

StevenE
          Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

If you are looking for something pretty to make the multiple outputs
            http://automatedoutlet.com/product.p...cat=103&page=1

Comment

This device from AA. It states it needs a 6 to 30 volt AC or DC power source (not included). Does the unit output the same voltage that is connected to it? In other words, if I connect a 12 DC power source do all the outputs output 12V or are some of the outputs adjustable?
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

In reference to Genevadude's post, I found this link showing a regulator in a circuit.

http://www.usblogger.com/Electronics..._Regulator.htm

Don

Comment

Just a couple of thoughts if making your own voltage sources with regulators.

Make sure your regulator is within specification for your needed current draw.

If your input and output voltage differential is high, you may need to heat sink the regulator.

The metal "tang" is usually at voltage potential so isolation to ground (case) is needed when mounting. They make plastic film and washers for this purpose.
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Rupp, I believe the Elk PD9 simply outputs whatever it is input. I.E., if you want 12VDC out, then give it 12VDC in. I don't have one, but I think that any voltage splitting and AC/DC conversion would get too messy for the price.

Comment

I'm using a simple 12v AC (yes AC) 3A transformer I picked up from Radio Shack for only $9.

I then use a full bridge rectifier chip to convert that to DC and then a 12v DC voltage regulator chip to ensure its at a constant 12v. A small cap across the outputs of the voltage regulator gives me a very clean voltage signal regardless of what I have connected it ti (as long as total is under 3 A).

I'm using this to power 1 Ocelot, 2 SECU16s, 1 Leopard II, 4 ELK relays (only one on max at a time), as well as a small 12v relay (for switching my Leo serial port between the HomeSeer PC and the HAI Omni Pro II).

No issues. Been running this for about 8 months. A very cheap solution.

Cost in parts is under $18 (including breadboard). When I run down to the basement I'll get the chip numbers and RS numbers for you, and might try to draw the circuit (very simple - 12v AC into AC in on bridge rectifier - 12v DC out of rectifier into input on 12v voltage regulator - output of that to capacitor (parallel), and viola - output clean 12v DC voltage).

Comment

Brian, you should have at least 6000uF on the input to the regulator, a smaller cap on the output will improve stability as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X