Has anyone had Windows explorer crash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone had Windows explorer crash?

Has anyone had windows explorer/system tray crash, while HS was minimized to the system tray? If so, after the desktop reset, could you get to HS?
    No I couldnt get to HS
    0%
    I was able to ALT-Tab to get it back
    0%
    I have never had this happen before
    0%
    I had to end task HS and restart it or reboot.
    0%
    Visit My Home Seer Site at:
    www.JohnWPB.com
    Created with LCARS

John,
    Are you a politician? Isn't this like asking after my networked crashed could you still access the web?

IMO any kind of an OS crash should be followed up by a system reboot. No?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I haven't had any problems with Win Explorer since I switched to FireFox. And FireFox is sooo much better once you get used to it.

If you are interested in trying this alternative, check this link.

Comment

GenevaDude,

Are you sure you have not got Internet Explorer & Windows Explorer mixed up?
        Jon

Comment

jon00

OOPS.. Fingers faster than brain. Must be the radiation treatments...

Comment

Windows shell alternates:

http://www.slcentral.com/directory/i...ernate_Shells/

Comment

Rupp Stated:
              <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Isn't this like asking after my networked crashed could you still access the web?
              <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummmm... no.

When the windows explorer crashes, it restores itself and there is no reason to have to reboot the computer whatsover. Do you reboot the computer every time IE crashes? The only draw back, is that the system tray remains hidden when explorer restores itself most of the time.

Having a look at the vote results above says it all. Obviously this is a problem for more than half of HS users.

According to the 22 that voted so far, 60% have had this problem. 8 could't get back to HS period, Only 1 was able to Alt-Tab to get it back, and 4 had to reboot the system to get back control of HS.

I personally do not like to reboot the system without shutting down HS before hand, in case it is in the middle of something. Last thing I want is to corrupt the XML, config file or something else and have to restore to a backup, just because I couldnt get to HS to close it.

Honestly I do not know the answer to bringing HS backup if it is running. I just know there is a way to do it. ALL programs have certain rights/permissions when started. They determine if the program can be run with multiple instances or not, if running to just restore, or as HS, just report that it is already running. This dosent just "happen" it is written into the code to react this way.

For instance wordpad/notepad/Internet explorer can be run with as many instances that you want running. However run photoshop, then minimize it, now run it again, it simply maximizes the instance that is currently running. Lets just assume that PhotoShop minimized to the system tray, running it again would bring it back up even if it was not visable in the system tray to double click it. This is what a lot of us, that are having this problem, would like to be able to do, to be able to get back control of HS, if it is currently running, and not visable in the tray for whatever reason.
              Visit My Home Seer Site at:
              www.JohnWPB.com
              Created with LCARS

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When the windows explorer crashes, it restores itself and there is no reason to have to reboot the computer whatsoever. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually John this is not true. When the windows explorer crashes the executable is set to create a new version. Any service can be set to do this using the recovery tab in services. This still leaves the system in an unstable state and doesn't fix the real problem which caused the Windows Explorer to crash in the first place.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Happens less frequently with XP than other Windows OS in my experience, but it still happens. And the tray icons for some programs don't get restored unless the machine is rebooted or the program is shut down and restarted. NAV used to be really bad about this - even when Explorer just rebuilt the desktop it would sometimes lose the NAV tray icon.

Winamp has a switch in the preferences that allows you to run multiple or a single instance, and does exactly what you expect - shows the current running copy if you try to run it again IF the preferences are set to a single copy. So yes, it is absolutely do-able, even with a program that changes the title bar text.
                  |
                  | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
                  HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Working...
                  X