• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting Up HomeSeer for Remote Internet Access

Please visit this post.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Rick,
    Why is this a "sticky" post here as well as in the Web Interface forums. Surely one sticky is enough.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Only if you look in the right place the first time!

It is written for new/newer users, and they may not know which forums best fit the topic.
      Regards,

Comment

Rick,

I set my dns servers to 192.168.1.1, and it worked for a little, then I had problems. My questions is, can the dns change? And if it does, how do you account for this?

Comment

So now Rupp is policing the "owners" of this board! :-)

Comment

DC,

Somebody has too.

I was just hoping that every forum doesn't start to get a load of stickies near the top. It makes my second job of reading the BB harder.
            -Rupp
            sigpic

Comment

Perhaps there should be a "Information & FAQ" forum just for sticky posts like this???
              Jon

Comment

Most excellent idea Jon. This could turn in to a knowledge data warehouse. Just like the one on the HST web site but accessible via the BB.
                -Rupp
                sigpic

Comment

I like the FAQ forium idea instead of these stickie things at the top of every forum.
                  Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

I agree. Stickies are great - but this isn't the right place for that one...

Great idea on the FAQs!

Comment

I agree we need a FAQ forum. But we need to define what a FAQ is.

Do we include X10 mods for exaample?

Will it only address HomeSeer issues?

Will we post questions here, with answers from the readers?

Who will manage the FAQ?

How will FAQ ideas be submitted?

Will the FAQ be catagorized?

etc. etc...

Tink,
                      Your postt aat the top of this page. You should have had a sentence or two explaining what you were referencing.

Comment

Seconded.

Stickies are fine for support forums like in the plugin support forums to post the plugin doc and faqs but I think they are an annoyance in general discussion forums where you are looking at the top of the list for new and/or changed messages.

G

Comment

This is a great tutorial. Over at Cocoontech we established a How-to forum on our board for posts such as this one.

Again great job Tink. I can appreciate how much time these posts take!
                          --------------------------------------------------
                          **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

I agree, this tutorial is a good example of how helpful they can be. The cocoon model seems to be a good one.

Comment

Beach,

The DNS server addresses should not be your home router's IP address, which is what 192.168.1.1 is. Using IPConfig /All again, make sure that the DNS Server IP address is set to that as it should not be.

Here is what DNS does....

When you type a name such as www.homeseer.com, it searches the DNS server for that entry. If it finds it, then it returns the IP address that corresponds to it. If it cannot find it, then it goes up a level and looks for the authorative server for the homeseer.com domain. That server, being authorative for homeseer.com, would definitely know the IP address for www, or when it says it does not have one, the search ends because that server is authorative for that domain. If there is no authorative server for homeseer.com, then the search would have continued up a level to the top level .COM domain server, and that is authorative for all things .COM and would have responded accordingly.

When you use a dynamic DNS service, you are effectively registering a hostname and IP address with this hierarchy of domain name servers on the Internet, including (eventually) down to the DNS servers that your Internet ISP maintains and has your router use.

If you do not have Internet connectivity and are simply connecting to the PCs in your home, you use http://machinename, or through modification of a special text file on each machine, you can choose to use a different name for the machine. (But that is another 'tutorial'...)

All - The idea of an FAQ forum is not bad and I will discuss it with Rich, but keep in mind that sometimes a sticky topic in an appropropriate forum is more visible than putting it in a catch-all FAQ forum. Sticky topics are meant to be readily visible so that you do NOT miss them. I do like the FAQ forum idea though.
                              Regards,

Comment

Working...
                              X