Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If this is off topic, sorry. This is TOO KEWL not to share!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this is off topic, sorry. This is TOO KEWL not to share!!!

U P D A T E
    No sooner did I get this posted, and started searching around, to find a CoolMon 2 is available! Graphics support, WYSIWYG editor and lots of other additions....STILL FREE!

I just ran across this and thought many of you guys would find this EXTREMELY useful. It is a small program called CoolMon. It allows you to monitor all sorts of system data (memory usage, hard drive space free, CPU temperature, Network load up & down ect ect..).

It will display this dirrectly on the desktop. I know, not the greatest so far, but theres MORE! It can access the data REMOTELY from any machine running it. You can access the information from any web browser as well!

Still not enough? It generates XML pages that can easily be parsed by HS to get just about anything about your system possible into a device value.

This has to be just about the best way I could ever wish for for monitoring a remote system! The uses are absolutely endless!

Here is a quick snippet from the .xml page it generates:
    (Items 1-7 below are items I added to have displayed on the desktop)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    - <CoolMon>
    - <Raw>
    <PageTotal>348</PageTotal>
    <PageUsed>257</PageUsed>
    <PageFree>345</PageFree>
    <RAMTotal>255</RAMTotal>
    <RAMUsed>208</RAMUsed>
    <RAMFree>547</RAMFree>
    <Processor_Usage>14.06</Processor_Usage>
    <Network_Read_Stats>32.75</Network_Read_Stats>
    <Network_Write_Stats>17.00</Network_Write_Stats>
    <Network_Bytes_Read>1,471,536.63</Network_Bytes_Read>
    <Network_Bytes_Written>1,189,949.38</Network_Bytes_Written>
    <IP_Addresses>192.168.1.35</IP_Addresses>
    <Computer_Name>JOHNS</Computer_Name>
    <User_Name>John</User_Name>
    <Date_and_Time>Date 23/09/04 Time 11:18</Date_and_Time>
    <Blank />
    <Drive_Space>102,107</Drive_Space>
    <Processor_Type>Pentium4</Processor_Type>
    <Processor_Speed>3200</Processor_Speed>
    <Item_0>Download Traffic: 32.75</Item_0>
    <Item_1>Uploads Traffic: 17.00</Item_1>
    <Item_2>Free Memory: 547</Item_2>
    <Item_3>Drive C Free: 102,107</Item_3>
    <Item_4>Drive D Free: 54,950</Item_4>
    <Item_5>Drive E Free: 64,174</Item_5>
    <Item_6>Drive F Free: 50,805</Item_6>
    <Item_7>CPU %25: 14.06</Item_7>
    <Item_8 />
    </Formatted>
    </CoolMon>

Now that everyone knows just about all there is to know about my machine, lets move on. The information displayed on the desktop is done via XML. If you know enough about XML, I am sure you could display HS information with it. You could also probably create a pretty kewl skin with graphics for it as well. You can set a background color for the information, or make it transparent. Then just drag it to wherever you want it to be displayed on the desktop!

DISCLAIMER:

No, I do not have anything to do with this software, and there certainly is no money to be made as it is FREEWARE. From what I can tell after installing it and running a couple spyware programs, it appears clean.

It can be downloaded at:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/coolinfo.html

Here is a cropped image from my desktop showing it running.
    Attached Files
    Visit My Home Seer Site at:
    www.JohnWPB.com
    Created with LCARS

John,

My System monitor script in the scripts library parses this coolmon XML file.

I wrote this about 18 months ago...

http://ubb.homeseer.com/eve/ubb.x?a=...3&m=2622958207
    Jon

Comment

Will this give you temp info on mobo and CPU? Would be cool if it did, especially now that Mother Board Monitor isn't supported anymore.
      --------------------------------------------------
      **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jon00:
        John,

I wrote this about 18 months ago...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
        And it works quite well...

~Bill

Comment

John00, thatnks for the tip! I missed that one somehow. Maby this will bring new interest back to it for all new guys, or people like me that just somehow missed it

Yes, it can report all sorts of MB stuff and temperatures. Only problem is Alex Van Kaam, author and creator of Motherboard Monitor called it quits after 7 years of supporting it. So that is probably why your having problesm with reading the values. Older MB will work fine.

There is a replacement for MB monitor, called speedfan. There is a plugin for CoolMonitor to support it and pull in the values. You can get processor temps, as well as individual Hard Drive temps (Through S.M.A.R.T technology). It will give you processor fan speeds, case fan speeds ect.
          Visit My Home Seer Site at:
          www.JohnWPB.com
          Created with LCARS

Comment

Hmm, since Alex dropped support for that, is he providing source code? Woiuld be nice.

I actually wrote a Performance Monitor object that used MBM a while back. This way you could use the Windows NT/2000 (and presumably now XP) Performance Monitor (think its called System Monitor now in XP) to view voltages and temperatures that MBM gathered. Haven't picked it up in years.

BTW - our of curiosity - would anyone be interested in a Performance Monitor plugin that would allow viewing of HomeSeer data (note that it would have to be numeric information)? For instance, I could see it being useful to see number of X10 commands transmitted and received (possibly per device or housecode), view of HomeSeer device values, etc. Would let you graph things like Outside Temp using PerfMon.

Just curious. Something like that wouldn't be too difficult to write, considering I've already written all the source to do the hard part (ie: create PerfMon counters) in the first place...

Comment

Exception ERangeError

I just discovered CoolMon but can not get it to run in client/server mode. Is anyone else still using it? I'm getting a Range check error on the client when I start it up with the client parameters.

Anyone around to give advise or suggest an alternative program?

Comment

CBoyd,
                Have you looked into MBM MotherBoard Monitor?
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                X