Where to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start

I also forgot to note that I will of course be haveing a hired and wireless home network and was wondering what I need to do to have all of these cat-5 connections in my home connect to the net. is there some sort of larger router that is made for entire home networking? Also are any of the books on home automation worth a look?

The other thing I forgot in the first post was about phone integration. I wanted the caller ID to show up on the BetaBright and monitors as said, but I also wanted to secure the phone system so only certain numbers are allowed to ring through (done with a pascode or somthing) and I was wondering if there was a way to set up a local VM service (like withing the home so It could alert the HA system when there are new messages for certain people ect) ok I think I have ranted about what I wanted my house to enough now.

sorry if its asking a lot all at once, but I really wanted to get this stuff all at once (I am a balls to the walls guy).

once again thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Mikhael; July 28, 2005, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Comment

I only decided to go all out and ask everything because I figured it best to know ahead of time what was needed. not because I planed on retrofitting it all at once. I know its a process, and believe me I have been reading posts here for over a year. this is how I came up with the things I had on my wishlist. I simply threw it ALL in because I didnt want anything comming up a year or two into my house that could have and should have been done early on.

Comment

Be sure to take into consideration what it would take to run a wire after the walls and ceiling are up. I live in a two story house and the first floor ceiling which is the second floor's flooring, are sealed together with no crawl space. I have had to do some very creative things to run wires. In ceiling speakers have been the worst. I have long drills and had to cut holes in the tops of the closets where I can hide the wires. I have made long rods with little lights on them so I can insert them into the holes and look in the hole to see what was inside. I have run a cotton rope with the wires so I can pull more later if needed. All this could have been avoided if I where here when the house was being built. Also, take pictures as it is being built of walls and ceilings. You might have to go back and look to see what is where after the walls are up. I would be thinking about how I would run more wires later if needed, and drill holes now. Or install conduit. Or buy a couple of boxes of Cat5 or Cat6. I'm not big about labeling wires, but I am big about getting a toner to find which wire you need later. Then label everything when you wire it in. Write everything down like what wires and colors where used for the door contacts, and such. This will help later when you dont remember what you did. I have a notebook with manuals and written notes. I saw a house on a parade of homes recently that had a big room for the utilities. All air handlers, all breaker panels, all telephone and cable hookups, and all the plumbing and hot water tanks. The plumbing came into the room and had cutoff valves for the lines going out to each area (bathroom, kitchen, etc.) Lots of wall space, good a/c in the room, and good lighting. This was a good master plan in my opinion. make sure there is good grounding too. If the concrete has not been poured already, make sure they add some good grounding for the room. In my next house I will find a way to have some access panels to get to the hard to access areas. These are some of my suggestions. For sensors, you can get some photobeams for outdoor use that will go about 200 feet or more and have builtin gain control etc. I buy my stuff at a securty supply store. They didnt want to sell to me, but after I made a company for home automation (I think it cost me $10 to register and get a sales tax id) they were happy to sell to me for "Homeautomation supplies", and now they dont care what I buy. I think I paid about $100 for photobeams that shoot 190 feet or so, and have cheap laser beams that you turn on to align it and then turn off for use. The beams are pulsed infrared. here is a link to what I installed: http://enforcer.com.tw/burglar/E960D390.htm
          Hope this helps. Your home automation installation will probably always be a work in progress.
          A computer's attention span is as long
          as it's powercord.

Comment

Thanks I am in the planning stage for the home this is why I am in an uproar with ideas. given the proper planning and knowledge I want to build the home with automation in mind. The control room you mentioned was in my mind as somthing I wanted. so I hope with the right ideas and help from others I can make this a truely amazing place to live.

Comment

Working...
            X